Author Topic: 1st Blade change  (Read 2614 times)

Offline squirrelpatrol

• Sly Guy in Training
1st Blade change
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
Hi guys,
It's been a few weeks since my first shave and I've tried a few options:
Headblade
Rolling Razor
Electric Razor

I decided on headblade with a dash of electric for around the ears.

Anyway, I have used the cartridge that came on the headblade for about 5 or six shaves, it's a triple and I decided that I should try a new blade.  Switched to a double.  You know what's coming next.....
I absolutely tore my head and neck to shreds, TONS of razor burn and a big nasty chunk out of my neck.

I shave from forehead to neck in long strokes and have only once even nicked myself.
What the heck gives?  Is the double that much different than the triple?

Also, now I can't event go outside with this razor burn/rash it looks ridiculous.

Can someone please enlighten me, did I do something wrong?  I've even rewatched the tutorial videos to be sure I had the blades facing the right direction.  And what the heck am I gonna do about the freshly burned head?  I've already used my syptic stick (sideways) ice cubes, clear head, head lube, more ice cubes...argg. :-[

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 1st Blade change
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »
You could be putting too much pressure on the blade squirrel.  That would have caused the big chunk.  I had similar problems till I learned to relax with it and just take it slow and easy.  If you hair is coarse, you might want to use an exfoliator before hand to remove dead skin and soften the hair.   An aloe vera gel might reduce the rash and redness for you as well.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline squirrelpatrol

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
A bit more research and the discovery that a hydrocortisone lotion does the best job soothing the razor burn AND minimizing redness.  Now it should be said that it is by prescription only, but there are diluted version OTC.

Either way, I thought I'd pass this along for future searchers for razor burn cure or razor burn relief.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
hydrocortisone lotion

Hydrocortisone is absolutely no solution!!!!

It's an important pharmacon with heavy sideeffects if longer used. :(

As Paul wrote - I think too you have put too much pressure upon the blades. Let the blades do the work and apply no pressure at all.

The HB double blades give me a very smooth head, they work best for me.

Experience will show you the way.  Maybe you will find further advice in the Headshave routine threads.

Best wishes, keep it smooth.

J

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
I would agree that it is probably a pressure problem.  Also, I don't know how often you shave your head, but I have more issues with my HB if I go more than a day without shaving... need to rinse more often.  Also if your hair is very thick, and you have skipped a day or so, you might have the inclination to think you need to push harder to get through the hair.  Don't give up just yet, especially if you were liking it until this mishap.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline squirrelpatrol

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that it was a long term solution.  It simply helped to drastically reduce the burn and the redness.
Thanks for the heads up though, I have been made aware of the potential damage with long term use for sure. But there's no denying it did the trick.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Although the HB is a great design piece, I and about half the guys who have answered polls about the razor of choice use the same razor we do on our faces, a Fusion, Mach III.  Why don't you give those a try at least.  I've only had one "bleed" in almost a year and a half and it wasn't major.  Just a thought--- O:O

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »
Hey Squirrel -- sorry to hear of the bloodletting.  I think it was heavy-handed technique AND the switch from triple to doubles.  I use Atra doubles because they give me the best shave.  However, I think the triples have less space between blades and therefore are more forgiving to the heavy hand.  Go lightly, go lightly. 
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.