Author Topic: Close Shave  (Read 6684 times)

Offline cwc

• Learning the way of Sly
Close Shave
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »
i naturally have dark hair, and so naturally my stubble grows in dark. but  looking at pictures from days i shave my head, there is greyness to my head, even though my head is entirely smooth. the only problem is that it is much darker on the side, than the top. i jsut would like to look less balding and more even.  is there any way  to get a closer shave to get rid of this?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Close Shave
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:54:48 PM »
Welcome, cwc!

The pale shadow is something we all deal with in some fashion.  I'm a rookie in the headshaving dept....but I don't think it's a matter of getting the closest possible shave that mitigates the "pale" part.

Here's one thread to check:

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=128.msg1524#msg1524

You can also use the search function and plug in "shadow" and get some hits.

a couple bottom lines that have been arrived at here:

1.  All bald dudes have issues with it to whatever degree
2.  It's really not as noticeable to others as it is to us...you know, pressing our forehead against the mirror
3.  It takes patience and extended exposure to even it all out up there.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »
Welcome CWC!  There's a couple of different posts in regards to how to get a close shave and lessen the shadow.

Here's on one going against the grain: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=238.0

Here's another on reducing the shadow: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=128.0

It basically comes down to going against the grain to get the closest shave and then getting some sun to help even the skin tone and lighten the hair color.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »
welcome cwc. hope you enjoy the site.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
Yeah...I've been shaving slick for a little over 2 weeks....

I'm so "obsessed" with closeness of the shave...that it's all about shaving against the grain for me.  When ya rub her head and feel those ruff spots...the only way to smooth it out is going against the grain.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:15:40 AM »
Also, it's good for you to know that most people don't notice the shadow as much as you do.  We tend to be very critical about ourselves. gu!l+)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:28:34 AM »
i naturally have dark hair, and so naturally my stubble grows in dark. but  looking at pictures from days i shave my head, there is greyness to my head, even though my head is entirely smooth. the only problem is that it is much darker on the side, than the top. i jsut would like to look less balding and more even.  is there any way  to get a closer shave to get rid of this?

Well if you are asking can you eliminate the grey shadow, the answer is no(unless you want electrolysis or use makeup).    That's because even as we shave our head if you can grow back hair, your incoming hair and its color mixed with the skin tone looks that grey/white color.   If you look at my pic under my name, you can see it clearly.   

I had brown hair so I have the same thing.   And since i was not balding, everywhere I shave on top you can see the shadow.

Nobody else notices I promise.    You are focused on the face(eyes/smile) when you are bald.    This is why I say we are always harder on ourselves than others.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:31:27 AM by David »
bald for life

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
Also, it's good for you to know that most people don't notice the shadow as much as you do.  We tend to be very critical about ourselves. gu!l+)

I think what you learn after a while is it's about all the fun aspects of the process more than how it looks in every mirror you come across.

By that I mean, stuff like putting the shaving cream on and laughing at the snowman look you have going on, the feel of the cold shower on the smooth head(it isn't that cold because it just runs right off),  and the feel of running your hands over your smooth head.   Also, the times you feel a breeze from the A/C in the house.    And lastly, something I personally find fascinating: the ability to grip your own head like you were palming a basketball.   

That and never having to pay for a haircut trumps any nitpicking we might do.
bald for life

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:40:06 AM »
i have to argue the cold shower thing. it feels good on the head but send my upper body into shock. :o :o

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:42:29 AM »
i have to argue the cold shower thing. it feels good on the head but send my upper body into shock. :o :o

Let me put it this way.    I hate cold anything.   I like warm weather/hot weather.   I hate freezing cold.

But cold water on the shaved head is like you don't really feel the full effect of the coldness.   But it is too damn cold for the rest of me so that's why you won't catch me staying under one for too long.
bald for life

Offline cwc

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »
thanks for the tips fellas, and i guess you guys are right about being overly critical. i never really paid attention to anyone's shadow before i shaved my head, and really only do now to compare to mine, ha. thanks for responding so quickly as well.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »
...thanks for responding so quickly as well.

Hey, man...we are ALL OVER IT...

Like _______ on _________ !

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »
...thanks for responding so quickly as well.

Hey, man...we are ALL OVER IT...

Like _______ on _________ !

"a rat on a cheeto"
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
Now that is poetic.

Offline tleiland

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
I'm fortunate to have blonder hair which doesn't show up as much as darker hair colors but I've found it very helpful to go against the grain to get the absolutely closest shave possible.