Author Topic: Shower Shave  (Read 4649 times)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Shower Shave
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »
Haowdy Fellows of the brotherhood... *Insert photo depicting ring of men in hoods here*

I see the most recent post regarding a shave in the shower, was about two years ago - and one comment several months ago regarding it. Just want to bring the idea to life a bit as I've just discovered the benefits myself.

Personally, I'm a old school junkie. I love Barbasol Original Thick & Rich. My method is pretty simple as I prefer to keep it simple as that works best for me. Less complicated, less problems.

I hop in the shower with nothing extra besides a razor and barbasol. Shower as usual, wash head with shampoo (this is always a good idea even for bald heads. its good for cleaning the scalp and prepping for a close shave.

Rinse off head and apply barbasol lather. I let it set for a good minute or two before shaving.

Take the razor to it. Right now I'm pretty dedicated to the Headblade ATX with HB4 cartridges. They work very very well for me. I go from front to back of neck, all across. Re lather, then back to front. Collect stray lather and spread it around my head for light lube, and feel for missed spots. Touch those up as well and rinse in COLD water.

Exit shower and dry off (pat dry head, not rub) and apply 100% Argan Oil.

Thats my current routine, and it works so well for me! No irritation, no redness, and the by far softest shave I've ever had in my life. Dad has been shaving his head for 30 years give or take and he is jealous of how smooth my head is after shaving. Im trying to get him to try the same method. Theres something about shaving in the shower with a just washed head that provides a closer and easier shave.

Did I mention it takes me much less time than standing at the sink as well? And no need for mirrors. Especially with the ATX.

Anyone else have tips or opinions on shower shaving?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: Shower Shave
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »
As a fellow shower shaver and atx user (save my safety razors for special occasions) I agree with a lot of what you said.  I've got fancy creams and brushes and several hundred dollars in safety razors yet nothing gets my head smooth as quickly, efficiently, and consistently as atx + personna twin cartridges + gillette foamy menthol.  I also like barbasol but I've found the gillette foamy to work just a little bit better for me.

Regarding time: using the exact same method I add only 10 mins or less to my "routine" while shower shaving whereas I add 20 mins + when sink shaving
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »
I agree that I achieve a far better shave in the shower than I would over the sink.

As far as the Headblade goes, I'm only relatively new to using it - I brought the Headslick shaving cream at the same time. Love the Headslick, I find I have a lot of difficult areas the Headblade wont get smooth. I go over these with my Mach3 once finishing up in the shower and also tidy up where my beard meets my head.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 06:29:56 AM »
I agree that I achieve a far better shave in the shower than I would over the sink.

As far as the Headblade goes, I'm only relatively new to using it - I brought the Headslick shaving cream at the same time. Love the Headslick, I find I have a lot of difficult areas the Headblade wont get smooth. I go over these with my Mach3 once finishing up in the shower and also tidy up where my beard meets my head.

I love headslick but only with a brush.  I've found that if I don't use a brush headslick actually causes the blade to skip over spots.  I also found that the hb4s (standard atx blade) take much more time and effort to get my head smooth and usually still had left some scratchy spots.  I recently switched to personna twin blade carts on my atx and I'm never looking back.  One pass from front to back, re lather, one pass from back to front, hot rinse, cold rinse, done.

Don't give up on the head blade!! First thing I would say is go get a cheap can of barbasol or foamy and shave as you would.  That test right there, at only about $1-$2, will tell you immediately if it is the headslick causing the skipping or the blades themselves.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Haha sly cat crossing you're like a shave twin.

Barbasol, ATX, Personna Twin pivots, front to back / relather / back to front. Whole routine is the same!

I definitely agree to make sure it's actually the headslick and not the blades lube strip or rubber footer causing the skipping.

Update to my shaving test:
I recently ordered Dorco pace4 cartridges and a free set of Pace 6 handle plus two pace 6 cartridges for $20. I don't particularly like the pace 6 cartridges. I feel any more than four blades is ridiculous and ends up causing some irritation on my skin, but I must admit they do a really good job. Not as fast as the head blade but a little bit more fun to be able to use a regular handle and do short strokes on different areas instead of one long pass straight.

Overall I'm really enjoying this adventure and every day into the challenge I'm becoming more and more convinced I'm not going back to hair! I begin to feel dirty or unkept if I get past one day without shaving.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »
Nice thread. Never shaved dome in shower as it takes a while for me to shave dome. Thinking of going back to DE shaving as so much cheaper! One blade rules me thinks.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
Headslick is good stuff, but you can use to much because it's thickness will cause the razor to slip over the hairs. With headslick less is better. About the size of a dime is plenty.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
Interesting, I saw one other comment about headslick causing razor skipping... I don't use head blade products, just he ATX.

I'm a firm believer and user of Barbasol Original Thick & Rich.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:19:44 PM »
I also use  Barbasol and find it works fine. Love the scent and you can't beat the price.

Offline TheRedChile

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
     I always shave in the shower, I find it to be much quicker and easier than standing at the sink.  As for barbasol I never liked it for either my face or my head. I have naturally dry skin and the barb just seems to foam and dry out before I can really use it. so probably sounds stupid to say, but I use some bar soap called Dove deep clean. it had some moisturizer in it and so far is the best I have found.  I use a badger brush to lather with it and it works great. a new bar is a little tough until it "breaks in", but for the most part I can get a very nice shave with it.
     I have tried so many different brands of shave cream I isn't even funny. they all do the same even if it says it is a gel. it foams up gets dry and doesn't do anything for me. I used to shave with coconut oil and that worked wonders but my head would be too damn greasy after haha.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
I find the shower the best as well; and a time-saver.  Plus, my head's pores are still open from the hot water.  I use a DE with a mixture of gel & Shave Secret (which I found at a local Shop Rite); giving me that shave plus a smooth glide over the head.  I used to use a Fusion, however the gel strip runs out a little too soon when doing the head.

“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »
Those gel strip are a farce anyway, all you need is a good shave cream or oil for a lubricant. As far as the shave creams that seem to dry out, just add some water and it's good and slick, especially Headslick or Creamo , two of the best.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Personally i think shower shaving is the best.  Can get done quicker, seems to  get much smoother results, and, for me st least, much less risk of raxor irritation, snd what irritation i do get goes away by the time im done toweling off and getting dressed, whereas if i shave in front of a mirror itvtakes several min to go away
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys - great to see some others showershave as well. I do find it to be best for me, and I have no plans of sink shaving again, unless I'm with friends at a dorm and can't hog the shower!