Author Topic: How to manage the inconvenience of razor burn/small acne bumps  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
How to manage the inconvenience of razor burn/small acne bumps
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am fairly familiar and have been an active BBC for almost 7 years now. I usually had my barber shave my head with the Wahl 5 Star but my hair grows back like sandpaper the very next day and if I don't regularly visit the barber then the hair grows out of control. I have used the Gillette Mach 3 but recently switched the Headblade ATX. I used the original Headblade awhile back but couldn't figure out how to fit the ring around my finger. I usually shave ATG first on the front of my head and then WTG on the sides and back then re-lather to go ATG behind and the sides. However every time I shave ATG near the nape of my neck I always either get razor burn or small breakouts. What could I do to alleviate the look of it and hopefully get a good handle on this?

These are the products I currently use:
-Shave Secret (as a pre-oil)
-Wilkinson Sword Shave Cream, Headslick, Cremo Cool, Cryogen
-Cryogen aftershave, Bee Balm Heal, Clear Head

I don't usually use all of these products at once obviously! I just wanted to show you guys what I am working with.

Here is a good photo of the back. I just shaved yesterday. Any help from my bald brethren would be greatly appreciated.

-Jonathan

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How to manage the inconvenience of razor burn/small acne bumps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »
I usually use Tend Skin for breakouts. It's sold in a dark blue bottle and it costs $17 dollars. Also try rubbing your head with an ice cube after you shave. Some other remedies that have worked for me within a few days are smearing a wet aspirin or even a small dollop of toothpaste.  Good luck and keep us posted!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:35:54 PM by SirHarry214 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:50 AM »
I avoid shaving ATG on neck and back , as for said same reason . The difference in looks is minuscule. Also shaving takes less time.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:34:27 AM »
Pore cleaning products like Clean&Clear can be a great help with that, but i highly recommend Cocoa and Shea butter lotion. It gives a delightful smell while doing exact what it sounds like, it soothes and calms the skin, hushing irritation and moisturizing well.

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for the timely responses and well constructed advice. I took your words of wisdom Harry and have been applying an ice cube along with the aspirin and witch hazel afterwards. I feel it definitely is helping. However, I still have this faint mark on the back of my neck and when I lower my head down like I'm looking at my toes it feels stretched and tight. I'm wondering if this is what the community calls a "Stork Bite?" I know it generally is seen in people from the 1950's to the late 1980's. I was born in 89 so I guess I fall under that spectrum. Don't worry about the scar. That is from my accident.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
Clear head by headblade is the best thing I have found for this.  If I go more then 2 days without using it I get bumps EXACTLY like yours, if I start using it again they are gone in 24 hrs. 

Its a little pricey but you I use a quarter size glob to hit my entire head and neck.  I've had one bottle for almost two months now with still 1/3 left
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »
Yes, the red patch on the back of your neck is indeed stork bite. Not a big deal, many people have it. Looking at the pics, things are pretty much cleared up and your technique is getting better. Stick with it!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »
I appreciate the help. Been a BBC since 2011 but never knew the strong bond and knowledge the wet shaving/bald community had. Thanks again for the help!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
I was having the same on my neck and I found it was from just being new to shaving my head and I think it was my technique.  I have learned a lot over the past few weeks and my head is looking better with each shave.  I do use witch hazel and I also use Clear Head by HeadBlade. 

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:45:55 AM »
Im a little late on this thread but i would highly recommend shea butter and olive oil.

Also, noxema is pretty good for this as well!

Ice cubes are good temporary recommendation, but they melt fast and as soon as you take it away the bumps and redness will return shortly after.

I like the witch hazel idea from Dshupe. He recommended I get some but i forgot when i picked up my headblade last night! Ugh!

Enter your email address: