Author Topic: Smoother shave  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Mattfox89

• Sly Guy in Training
Smoother shave
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
New to shaving with a razor and wondered how you can get a smoother shave?

The first time I shaved I did it ATG. But if you shave WTG first then followed by ATG will this give you a smoother shave or does it not make much difference?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: Smoother shave
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »
Many, many variables here.  To answer your main question: a typical 2 pass shave of first wtg then second atg wont give a smother shave vs a single atg pass in terms of final result... You cant get much closer then atg regardless of how many pass or directions took place prior to it.  What you achieve by starting wtg is an easier and more productive atg pass following it.  Atg passes are pretty rough on your skin and hair, even with proper prep and technique, so eliminating as much hair as possible prior to (like starting wtg for example) drastically cuts down on pulling and irritation from your final atg pass.

With that out of the way...

I would ask you to clarify what you mean by "smoother" shave.  Do you mean as in the shaving process being easier, more productive, and tugging less or do you mean like baby butt smooth, 100% hairless from skin level up, as the final result?

If you simply are trying to achieve a BBS dome and are not currently experiencing irritation then you can always add passes following what I mentioned above: do a full wtg around your head, rinse, re lather, then do a final atg pass all around.

If you are seeking to improve your shaving experience and process the biggest thing to start with is a good brush and soap/cream.  Don't be fooled into thinking you need to drop a whole bill either.  I have an omega synthetic brush and a maggard synthetic brush, both under $15 and both solid performers.  As for soaps and creams I'll typically use proraso cream (about $10 a tube), la toja soap (about $6 a stick), or occasionally van der hagen soap which is about $2-$3.  All of these last a long time and are well worth it.  There also are hundreds of other soap and creams available so try everything you can!  The main thing here is that the action of creating lather on your head with a good brush and soap/cream not only feels amazing and gives you levels of comfort and joy not found in any canned gel but it also works the lather under your hairs which in turn lifts them and hydrates them, all allowing for a closer and more comfortable shave.

From there I can reccomend using a double edge safety razor but there is a huge learning curve if you are not used to it.  If you prefer cartridges then try different ones.  I used to use dorco twin blade carts on my headblade and recently switched to personna twin blade carts.  The difference is like night and day.  All other variables remain the same except the brand of blade used and since theny shaves have been so quick and smooth I haven't even bothered picking up my de razors.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:33:41 PM by SlyCatCrossing »
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
Get comfortable with the cartridge razor first.  Yes, WTG then ATG should work better.  Once you're comfortable with that, move to a safety razor.  Much closer shaves that way, though there is a bit of a learning curve.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »
I think every head is different, and you just have to find the right routine for you.

After 3.5 years of shaving daily, I usually hit my sides and back with my electric shaver. My hair on the sides and back just don't want to come off easily with a razor, probably because it lies so flat. The hair on top grows straight up so shaves easily.

As for razors, the disposable Schick Extreme 3 works great in the shower. The head of the razor actually curves to the roundness of your head. A couple times a week I like to use my double edge safety razor after showering.

I recently tried the Cremo shave creme, and I love it. I still use the brush and shaving soap when I use the DE.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Mattfox89

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the info I usually have a warm shower then shave afterwards. think what I was trying to say is they're any prep I can do to get it smoother without having to go over it loads of times. As at the minute it takes about 5 passes over certain spots to get it as smooth as the rest. Also on the top of my head it gets a few flakes of skin as if it's dry but I moisturise after every shave. Can this be stopped or does my head need to get used to the shaving?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
Dryness on the skin should subside after you get used to shaving, of not just add a little bit of 100% natural aloe vera gel (should be clear, not green) to your post shave or swap for it entirely as your "aftershave"

As for the number of passes, try a different razor.  In my earlier example I used to use dorco twin blade carts and also had to do like 5+ passes all around to get smooth, recently changed to personna twin blade carts (everything else remained the same) and have never gotten closer shaves... Even with my safety razor.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air