Author Topic: HeadBlade Sport (original) vs. NEW HeadBlade Sport?  (Read 5702 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
HeadBlade Sport (original) vs. NEW HeadBlade Sport?
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
I picked up a HeadBlade Sport in my local Walgreens.  I've used it twice and I'm sold.  Incredible, fast, shave.

I figured out later that the model I purchased is an older version of the Sport.  I realize, now, there's a NEW Sport model with "upgraded wheels" and "improved axle".

Are the improvements enough to warrant a double dip?

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
Re: HeadBlade Sport (original) vs. NEW HeadBlade Sport?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:32:51 AM »
When I can place my Schick Hydro blades on a Headblade I ill pull mine out of the closet.

"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
When I can place my Schick Hydro blades on a Headblade I ill pull mine out of the closet.

My feelings exactly!
AKA Gimpy

Offline emolient

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
I realize, now, there's a NEW Sport model with "upgraded wheels" and "improved axle".

Are the improvements enough to warrant a double dip?
The new wheels are less wobbly but the difference is not perceptible in actual use. The only other difference is between the finger rings. The old one doesn't actually grip your finger and requires the support of one finger in front of it and another behind. The new one fits snugly and allows you to dispense entirely with the front finger, thus eliminating concern about putting pressure on the front of the razor. The downside is the extra effort needed sliding it on and off when reversing the razor's direction. Six of one if you're used to the thing. Probably worth popping for the new one if you haven't yet gotten the hang of it.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

And welcome to the forum, emolient!

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:14:10 AM »
The new design of the wheels was much needed. I used to use, and still have, an old HB Sport on which the wheels just kind of pooped out. The new Sport seems to fix that problem, the wheels seem to be of a different material and they did something on the axe too. I have not tried it as today I use the S4 which I can recommend.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:02:35 AM »
...today I use the S4 which I can recommend.

Does the S4 give you a better shave?

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
Better in terms of a closer shave. The weight of the S4 must be the difference, it's a more solid piece. When I travel I still take my old Sport with me.....I would kick my ass to the least if I would forget or leave behind my S4 in a hotel room, don't care too much about the Sport.
But the difference in shave also lies in the blades you use. I started with the HB doubles but have switched to the HB triples. These combined with the S4 gives me a smooth shave, without burns or cuts.
Have also tried the Personna Twin Pivot Plus. Good blades , get a close shave but sometimes some cuts too?!?. I would recommend anyone to at least give them a try, they are way cheaper and fit the yellow adapter

Offline emolient

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »
The heft of a razor is one of several important factors that people assess differently, with opinions often varying diametrically. I am a big personal fan of heavy-handled double-edge razors for facial shaving but don't feel that the difference in shaving quality is as marked with the HeadBlades. The weight difference between the S4 and the Sports is, however, significant and many guys will rank the one clearly above the other. Anyone wanting to find out for themselves has no real alternative than to pop for them both.

The cost factor suggests, nonetheless, getting started with the less expensive of them and then going whole hog if initial results indicate that it might be worth it. One further thing to keep in mind is that the two-blade and three-blade cartridges are also a matter of strong individual preference. If you don't get satisfactory results with the one, trying the other can result in an astonishing difference.

Adapters are available for three different cartridge modules. The one is for Atra/Contour, which accepts both the HeadBlade double and triple cartridges plus Gillette doubles and others. The second is for Sensor, which accepts Gillette's own double and triple blade cartridges (the latter being the one I get by far the best results with) plus a number of others. The third is for Wilkinson FX & Protectors but I don't know what the corresponding Schick designations are.

At the very least the two HeadBlade cartridges should be compared with Gillettes before making any final judgment about the HeadBlade design.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
I will be listening to everyone's reviews...

Currently I think I have like 3 or 4 original sports to use until they break.

Early on the wheels got weird on every single one of them, but never affected the shave.

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
I say.... neither! Give the the HB classic every time! it's the only one that feels like it's part of my hand....