Author Topic: 1st-Time head-shave - at Barbers or Self?  (Read 17435 times)

Offline paynri

• Learning the way of Sly
1st-Time head-shave - at Barbers or Self?
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
Hi all, just had a number-one cut all over for the first time and really like it. I want to go all the way now and have my head completely shaved, but not sure if I should do it myself or go to the Barbers. I am worried about cuts and missing bits etc if I do it myself. What does anyone suggest for a 'virgin' head-shaver?  thanks.

Offline SlyCanuck

• Sly Jr.
Re: 1st-Time head-shave - at Barbers or Self?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Hey, congrats on making the decision.  Speaking for myself, and I think for the majority, I would recommend doing it yourself.  The key is to TAKE YOUR TIME.  Get your supplies, really any blade and cream or gel will do.  Some like to shower first, others at the sink and shave.  It is up to you.  Go slow, and enjoy.  You will love it and you will be an expert soon.
Help a bald brother out.  We are entered in a contest to win $5000 based on votes for our video.  If you have a facebook account, click on the link and please vote! http://teammysask411.com/winbig-vote/view/user/colleen

Offline paynri

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick response - I am looking forward to the first-time experience. BTW the website is excellent!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
I agree that you should shave yourself.  The barber won't do as good as job as you will, even if it is your first time.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
I've never had a barber shave it so I guess I can only say from my experience to do it yourself. It's not as hard of a task as many people think it is. Grab your favorite shaving creme/gel and a good razor (I prefer mach 3) and shave it as if you were shaving your face. Go with and against the grain to get the smoothest shave, I also have to shave up on the sides because thats where my hairs the thickest. Other than that have a good shave man and welcome to the sly life.  O0
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline intex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I agree with the others.  It is best for a do it yourself.  As you shave you can feel what you have missed and then go back to get that. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
Get your clippers, if you don't have some--split for the most economical ones, $10-14 at Wal-Mart or the like.  Take it all down without a guard--slowly.  Shower and shampoo the stubble with hot water.  Lather that up after the shower then with a fresh new blade SLOWLY do it yourself.  It probably won't be perfect but doing it yourself is the fufillment of taking the decision to get control of your mpb yourself and plant that control firmly in your mind and spirit. 
Perfect shaves--that is the quest, and with practice you'll get very good in short order.  The gift is in the journey--enjoy the gift. 

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
I'm down with everybody else, the first time is a definite do it yourself. We're talking about shaving the dome here, right? :D
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline WhiskeyHotel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
recommend doing it yourself. and give the headblade a try. virgin users tend to have more success with the headblade than converts imo (the first time using it, of course).

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Never have had the barber do it.  Get your own electric clippers and work away w/o guard.  Then a good long shower to get it well hydrated; foam or gel (I used foam) of your choice, and then slow work with the razor--lots of rinsing of the blade, since it'll tend to clog with hair, even the shortish bristle you have left from the electric clippers.  You might want to finish the job by repeating the hydrating and soaping and take a new blade, this time using your fingers to feel if each area has been done down smooth.  This is good practice for all future shaves--it might look slick, but the fingertip test tells the truth.

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
Be careful in your first shave, if you do it yourself.
My first shave was first done at a barber, where I asked for a #0. Then late night I looked me in the mirror and thinked: what the heck I'll take it al off and got a razor and did myself. But I hurt myself in several spots and my head bleeded. Later I learned to shave my head properly, but I wish I had been more careful at the same time.

Offline paynri

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »
Guys, thank you for all your kind comments on here - it looks like I will do it myself the first time. I would like to mention I am not yet losing my hair! I have been brave and had a number-one cut which feels great, and I now feel an urge to go the whole way and wet-shave my entire head....... 

Offline intex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »
Guys, thank you for all your kind comments on here - it looks like I will do it myself the first time. I would like to mention I am not yet losing my hair! I have been brave and had a number-one cut which feels great, and I now feel an urge to go the whole way and wet-shave my entire head....... 

That is the way for many here - sly irrespective of mpb.  After repeated shavings your skin will toughen. In shaving the big thing for me to remember is to not move the razor sideways - that produces nicks.

Offline paynri

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Just done it for the first time, it feels great!  Despite all your advice about doing it myself, I went and  had a lady barber shave it.

For those of you who are fed up with life and want to be bored to death, below is the order of play as to how my head was shaved by the barber. For those of you who don't wish to be bored look away now..........

- My hair was a no. #1 all over, so the first thing was she clippered my hair all over with a #0 (no guard), this made my hair very short and stubbly.
- She ran a towel in the salon wash-basin tap for a few minutes to get it hot and wet, before wrapping my head in it. She held it there for about 5 minutes, pressing firmly around my head.
- After the towel was removed she applied shaving lather with a brush all over my entire head (which was quite sweaty).
- Then the shaving started.......she worked her way up from the back of the bottom of my head. Some strokes were smooth, others were felt by me. She asked down 'are you ok?' (I thought, 'I have gone past the point of no return').
- After she finished shaving the head (which took a good 10 mins) she rinsed my head for about 5 mins with lukewarm water in the salon wash-basin.
- Then back in the chair she rubbed baby oil into my head - she could see my delight from looking in the mirror that I liked my shaved head and she said ' that's better '.

So, I am now shaved bald. The next thing is to get a tan on my head, as compared to my face my head looks very pale.

cheers all