Author Topic: Head Shingles  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
Head Shingles
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:53:27 AM »
On the 6th of January this year I was diagnosed with Head Shingles. Having never heard of this disease before I had just assumed I had a bad allergic reaction to something and I initially just took some Piriton. My condition worsened overnight I went to my local hospital who fortunately knew what I was suffering from. There are long term effects to deal with from this like Post Herpetic Neuralgia and on my eyesight. Thankfully it's all being managed quite well with multiple drugs and eye drops. I wasn't able to shave my head for more than 3 weeks because of a lot of leasions and scabs which made me feel even more miserable that I was already. 5 weeks later now and thankfully I only have a few potmarks on my scalp from the illness so I'm able to carefully shave my head again. It's amazing how much I missed having a smooth scalp! My family and friends knew I was feeling better when my shiney bald head made a reappearance. The attached photo shows my head the day I was diagnosed and my profile photo shows how I look now. I have a few blemishes but hopefully they will be all but gone by the summer.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:28:30 AM by Adamski1972 »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Head Shingles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
woooo!!   I have an Idea what  you went thru .  I had shingles on thigh and waist few years back,and pain can be a problem. So glad your doing better , an your so right your eye sight could have been affected. Will you be getting the shingles vaccine ?
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
I hadn't heard of the singles vaccine until a few weeks ago. If it will stop me getting it again I'll definitely get it!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
Shingles can be horrific. I have a friend that went though the same thing. Glad your symptoms have abated!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
Check out the vaccine.  I had early symptoms of shingles a few months ago and had the vaccine which here in Oz cost around AUD 200 and the condition went away.  My wife had the vaccine also as a precautionary  measure.  However i did hear that  you need to have the vaccine within 72 hours of diagnosis for it to be really effective ie if you haven't already had it as a pprecautionary  measure.

The vaccine  is quite new.
Roger

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
The tv add says  1 in  3  people will get shingles ,  I do think this may be slightly over hyped.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »
Wow...glad to hear things are improving, but sorry you had to go through that.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
Wow! Glad your scalp has recovered from that! I don't know which is worse, going through that or not being able to shave!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
I had shingles seven years ago but thankfully not on my head and not nearly as severe as what you went through.  Still, it was not pleasant. So sorry you had to go through this and glad you ar feeling better.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
Shingles are no joke.  They can be serious, they often last a LOT longer than 6 weeks, they can be so painful as to require hospitalization, they can have permanent affects on facial nerves and eyesight.

I don't know why folks here in the U.S. don't all get the shingles vaccine?  You don't even need a prescription!  You can just walk into any Walgreens store and get on on the spot!  All U.S. insurance companies cover it and by law everyone was supposed to sign up for Obamacare so........??????????????????? The copay is like $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enter your email address: