Author Topic: Straight Razor Shaving  (Read 5853 times)

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
Straight Razor Shaving
« on: December 09, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
Hey! Hope you had are enjoying the Season!

I used to see this topic back in the day, however I am wondering if any of you Bros and Sis's out there are doing the straight razor head shave.

I'm considering a Parker SBX straight; and right now I'm going DE. If anyone is doing this, what advice, etc do you have?

Thanx!

“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Straight Razor Shaving
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
Advice  ........." FOGETA BOUT  IT " .  Only joking , your a braver man than me.   >:D
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
I will get there one day but for now I'm loving my DE shaves.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
My barbershops in Vietnam only do straight razor shave, included head shave. I have to say it hurt me most of the time since my hair was thick and strong and they also have many other clients so they can not pay so much time for my head shave. I'm still looking for a barbershop which specific for head shave only.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »
Well wish me luck Bros.  Just ordered my Parker and it will be here in days.  Updates to follow!
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 02:50:18 AM »
Good luck !   Don't forget the Stypic Pencil . 
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »
Please keep us posted on this, I'm very strongly considering adding either a parker sr1 or srx to my collection but keep reading mixed reviews.  Since I still would probably still use my de primarily I assume I would go with the sr1 since it can be had for $15-$20.  I've also found a brand called sanguine who make similar offerings to parker shavettes with lower prices and higher reviews but I can seem to find any in the us.  Another is called sicke or silcke or something like that, they are a Chinese made shavette that gets very high reviews and ranges $2-$5 on amazon but they all ship from Hong Kong and take almost two months to arrive.

I was about to buy the sr1 today until I read several reviews talking poor build quality and consistency.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
Today I started using the Parker straight razor on my head, however switched to my double edge due to time constraints. On the parts I used the Parker on, it was okay with a small nick. However I found that I'll have to use the straight either at night or when I'm not in a rush.

Will keep you posted!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
Great, thanks for the update!

I decided against ordering the Parker because my mom found her old replaceable blade shavette that she went through beauty school, got her license, and won several awards with and is giving it to me! At this point the make/model doesn't matter to me as the sentimental value overtakes all.  She said its in perfect condition but doesn't remember who made it.  Beauty school in the US in mid 80s... I assume parker or dovo.  I'll post up about it when it arrives

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
That's great since you have that special part of your mother's life.  The Gillette Slim Adjustable that you hear me post about was my late father-in-law's, so I understand having that part of that loved one.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:41:12 PM »
Well, I  gave straight razor head shaving a shot this past weekend and thank God for alum blocks! I find that I don't have the coordination to do it. The right side of my head looks as if my cats got to it.  ;D

Needless to say, I returned the razor today and am sticking with my DE...after two-three days to let my head heal!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the update! Even if mine doesn't work for my head (when it arrives) I'll keep it die to its sentimental value.  Also I occasionally will get tired of the beard and shave my face for a few months, I could see it working well for this once I get used to it