Author Topic: I need to get rid of razor bumps on the back of my neck  (Read 28665 times)

Offline hypeceo

• Learning the way of Sly
I need to get rid of razor bumps on the back of my neck
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have a question for the forum.  I can't seem to get rid of razor bumps on the back of my neck.  What I have done to deal with the problem to a certain extent is to shave the back of my neck with electic clippers and the rest of my head with a razor.  That work okay, but I want a completely smooth head with NO BUMPS at all.  How can I avoid bumps all together?  Once I shave my head, I put on bump patrol all over and finish with nevea sensitive aftershave lotion.  Also, I was told if I shave every day the bumps will go away.  Should I shave every day??  I'm looking forward to you responses.  Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:09:12 PM by hypeceo »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: I need to get rid of razor bumps on the back of my neck
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
Hypeceo, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  I know some of the guys use ClearHead by Heablade.  There's also a product called TendSkin that is supposed to alleviate bumps.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
welcome hype.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »
Welcome to the group, Hypeceo!  The best advice i could offer is the same as Tyler, ClearHead.  I have read on several post here and other peps that is great.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:06:29 AM »
Welcome Hype! I recommend the Clear Head.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline hypeceo

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will definitely try the Clear Head and see what happens.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:27:14 PM »
Welcome hypeceo.  Like the rest Clear Head works for me.  If you want a more extensive list try checking our different posts or HeadShaver.org where there is also a listing for Razor Bumps.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Bronco

• Sly Jr.
  • My WigsforKids Donation
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
I don't know if what i have can be termed razor bumps because I was getting them while I had a full head of hair. They seem like pimples you'd get on your face but they don't come to a head.

I gave up trying to shave with a blade because this seemed to make them stand out more. Since then I've stuck with and electric razor and this seems to help but not eradicate the problem.

Any suggestions of how to clear up my noggin will be appreciated.

jusbnme

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
In my opinion the most important thing is to try not to rush your routine, especially if you are going to use any kind of razor blade.  I can go a little faster now that I have been using the HeadBlade but I still try to take my time.  Make sure to use an exfoliater, (HeadShed or St. Ives' Scrub are good), this will clean the dead skin off your head and clean out the pores which is wear the razor bumps usually come from because of ingrown hairs.  Myself, I've started going with the grain on my head and my face this past week.  I haven't had one ingrown hair or razor bump.  Plus my head hasn't gotten irritated at all even when I start sweating.  I know a lot of people like that smooth against the grain feel and I do to.  But I can live with a little stubble versus having the skin irritation I usually get going against the grain.  Plus with the HeadBlade going with the grain gets it down well enough to where I can barely tell it's not against the grain unless I run my hand over the dome.  Anyway, after the exfoliating and the shave rinse with very cold water.  I have started using ClearHead but I use to use witch hazel or rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball all over the dome.  I prefer witch hazel.  It doesn't sting as bad and does just about the same.  What I like about the witch hazel is that it helps close the pores even more and since it's an estringent it helps clean off the dome from where I shaved.  Then I would apply a good after shave product.  I prefer the HeadLube.  I think I remember you mentioning something about Bald Guyz after shave gel.  Use that.  I know some guys even wrap their head in a hot towel before the shave which helps soften the hairs up even more.  Real hot water=softer hair=smoother shave and less "drag"=less irritation and razor bumps.  Hope at least some of this novel  ;D has been helpful bro.   O0

Offline Bronco

• Sly Jr.
  • My WigsforKids Donation
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
Thanks for the tips Lance. Come to think of it after my barber shaved me he did use Witch Hazel on my head so I'm going to pick some up today and try that.

I think you may be right with the grain vs against the grain. I'll stick to with the grain for a week and see if my problem clears up.

Offline juventus206

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm far to good looking to have hair.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 02:32:58 AM »
Not sure how easy it is for you to get a hold of a dermatologist but, I got a few samples of a gel called "Clindagel"  freaking amazing!  The dermatologist gave me a few that last time I was in there and I swear by the stuff.  I recently had some razor burn on my neck and it got rid of it within 24hrs. 

jusbnme

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 04:38:35 AM »
Not sure how easy it is for you to get a hold of a dermatologist but, I got a few samples of a gel called "Clindagel"  freaking amazing!  The dermatologist gave me a few that last time I was in there and I swear by the stuff.  I recently had some razor burn on my neck and it got rid of it within 24hrs. 

Thanks for the info bro.  Sounds like it's worth checking into.   O0

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
I personally never really found a topical product that would help with this.

For me, it's important to make sure that you only go over those spots once (the back of the neck).  I also read somewhere that if you DON'T pull that skin tight when shaving, you'll be less likely to have irritation (the rationale being that pulling the skin tight will cut the hair closer and increase the risk of ingrown hairs and irritation). 

I've read that using a razor with fewer blades will lead to less irritation, although for me, I've found that the quattro and the fusion give me the best shave...  Maybe the fewer blades thing is true for some people, but not me.

I notice that the top and sides of my head get "stubblier" more quickly than the lower neck area.  I don't shave everyday because I get irritated on the back of my neck if I do, but I find that I can "clean things up" with an electric shaver on the in between days to keep the back and sides from being to stubbly.  This might allow you to go longer between razor shaves but still stay pretty smooth most of the time.