Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741778 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1800 on: December 13, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
'53 super speed, Astra sp, proraso green, omega S, witch hazel + captain's choice cat o'nine tails

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1801 on: December 17, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
Tallow + Steel - Dark
Island Bladeworks - "Bullwinkle" | TGN Finest
RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather New Hi-Stainless (1)

Guess what movie I'm going to see tonight.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1802 on: December 20, 2016, 06:35:37 AM »
Catie's Bubbles "322"

322 is my second soap from Catie's Bubbles.  I qualify as a CB newb, so I'm still taken back by the incredible post-shave feel from this soap.  Until now, Nuàvia had been my benchmark for post-shave quality.  After a few shaves under my belt (previously QCV and now 322),  I can safely say Catie's Bubbles assumes that mantle by a fair margin.  After this perfect head and face shave, I smeared the pulled lather from the knot onto my scalp while I rinsed off the gear.  This provided a natural soft feel I've not experienced with any other soap. I will henceforth make that part of my routine when using Catie's.  Still, the slickness is not as good as some of my other favorite soaps, but I'm just resigning that to the fact that I simply like tallow and/or clay.  This is not to say that CB soaps suffer in this regard.  They are still quite protective and, as previously stated, ultimately facilitate a perfect shave.

Now on to 322's scent.  I guess I got the wrong impression from the hype about this limited offering.  I kept hearing words like "dark" and "decay" along with the inevitable comparison to Barrister and Mann's masterpiece, "Hallows".  While 322 shares some qualities of Hallows, "sickly sweetness" is not one of them.  I have a hard time even calling 322 dark.  It is certainly dirty and slightly smoky, but this is expected from the prevailing note, Haitian vetiver.  It was initially sharp but pleasant with the right complement of patchouli that never quite overtakes the vetiver.  As the shave progressed, more depth became apparent with damp earth, late Fall succulents, and oakmoss.  At this point, the fragrance teeters on the border between damp and murky.  322 will, without question, be a soap that I use frequently, because this scent profile is absolutely up my alley.

A post-shave product is completely unnecessary with this soap, but I do like a paired alcohol splash when I can get it.  The 322 splash continues the profile of the soap with the exception of a rather forward currant note initially, but it settles down quickly to the sharp, smoky, vetiver and oakmoss with patchouli maintaining a presence.

There will be some that will find 322 off-putting, but I would venture to say these same folks are probably not fans of any Haitian vetiver-dominant product.  Based on other offerings I've seen from Catie's Bubbles, 322 is a bit of departure from their usual lineup, but it confirms the creativity that's been well established.  It's a very nice soap that I hope will achieve at least a seasonal status so more users can have the pleasure.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1803 on: December 22, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Catie's Bubbles "322"
Gillette Pre-War Tech | Feather New Hi-Stainless (1)
Drink of the Night - Whistlepig Straight Rye

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1804 on: December 25, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »
Barrister & Mann - Dickens 2016

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1805 on: December 28, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere / Colonia

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1806 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Beaudelaire
Drink of the Night: Lagavulin

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1807 on: January 01, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
Sunday,  New Year's Day , January 1, 2017 SOTD

Razor: Weber ARC w/ Weber Wave Handle

Blade:  Feather

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Sandalwood

Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH,  refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

It's been awhile since I last posted. I hope all is well with you and your families.  May you all have a Happy and Healthy 2017.  On a side note ... I am still having fun with my traditional way of head shaving.  If you haven't already tried this way of shaving ... you don't know what you are missing. Today SOTD was so relaxing and enjoyable. I decided to go with my very 1st wet shaving cream: TOBS Sandalwood.  I am usually a shave soap guy but when I do use creams TOBS never disappoints.

WARHAWK
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1808 on: January 01, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
Welcome back, Mel!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1809 on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
Wholly Kaw - Fougère Bouquet
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar

This was my first time to use Wholly Kaw's "Fougère Bouquet", and apparently, I've been missing out on this elegant, slightly sweet and spicy, fougère.  There's enough cedar and sandalwood to mitigate the sweetness, and the scent unfolds and deepens about half-way through the shave with damp green plant-like notes and finally gentle musk and oakmoss.  Fougère Bouquet accomplishes this without abandoning the initial slightly floral opening notes or resorting to damp earth.  I don't want to mislead by suggesting this is a floral fragrance, but rather one that's steadfast in maintaining its identity as a fougère yet is complex without being weighty.  It's a well-crafted men's fragrance.

As to the performance, this tallow base is excellent.  Wholly Kaw has never suffered from slickness issues, but their tallow base seems to step it up, and the post-shave is improved as well.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention Wholly Kaw's drastic label revamp.  I certainly appreciate thematic designs for seasonals or special editions, but nothing beats a clean, uncluttered uniform design for year-round stock.  Wholly Kaw now has this in spades with a clean, stylized display.  The tallow and vegan bases are easily differentiated by their contrasting but complementary color schemes, and the new logo is a far cry from the original.  Finally, Wholly Kaw has a label that matches the quality of its product.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1810 on: January 01, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
Here are some of mine since Christmas. I got all of these soaps for Christmas and have used them all since. All shaves were done with the Merkur loaded with Personna Lab Blues. I just stocked up on the Nivea Mens....my Wife had a couple coupons....it must be a popular creme since it is only available in Vegas at CVS or Wallgreen's and it is almost always sold out. I've never had anything with a Bay Rum scent before.....not what I was expecting but I like it.

I haven't posted in awhile either, all the recent posts inspired me to post and to shave!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1811 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:35 AM »
It's been awhile, good to see you Mel and Cobranet! My phone been doing all kinds of crazy things lately so I haven't been able to post pics in a couple weeks.  Lately my techs + astra sp combo has been giving some great shaves and since it's a little cooler here in Floroda right now I switched out the usual proraso green for proraso white.  It's great stuff! I've also been frequently using captains choice bay rum splash post shave and I am a big fan now.

Happy and healthy '17 to you and your's!
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1812 on: January 02, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Catie's Bubbles - "Black Bergamot"
BSB-Ti - HMW Extra Dense
Drink of the Night: Death Wish Coffee's "Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend"

Black Bergamot is another masterpiece from Catie's Bubbles.  It's very smoky vetiver-forward with only hints of black pepper initially.  As the shave progresses, bitter citrus comes through, but make no mistake, this is a Haitian vetiver dominant soap, and I very much enjoy it.  The splash, however, lets the bergamot through much better, such that 2 hours later the bitter citrus has become the prevailing note with black pepper backing it up.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1813 on: January 04, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
Welcome back, Mel!

Thank you Matt !!! Keep up your excellent pics and your phenomenal reviews. 

WARHAWK

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1814 on: January 04, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
It's been awhile, good to see you Mel and Cobranet! My phone been doing all kinds of crazy things lately so I haven't been able to post pics in a couple weeks.  Lately my techs + astra sp combo has been giving some great shaves and since it's a little cooler here in Floroda right now I switched out the usual proraso green for proraso white.  It's great stuff! I've also been frequently using captains choice bay rum splash post shave and I am a big fan now.

Happy and healthy '17 to you and your's!

Happy new year to you too !!!

WARHAWK

Enter your email address: