Author Topic: Digging the DE Shaves  (Read 3813 times)

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
  • "THE MORE HAIR I SHAVE THE MORE HEAD I GET"
Digging the DE Shaves
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
So I received the two razors I won on ebay on Tuesday two Gelliette super speeds from the 40's and 50's and I love them they came very clean and polished cant complain for my first ones especially since I won the bet at $18.50. Been shaving with them daily since day one and am truly happy with the shave. I bought a 10 pack of Wilkinson blades at wally world for $1.50. So my question is what kind of shave will i get with a higher priced blade and what do you guys recommend and where can I get some good blades at ? how often do you change your blades ? Also I never had any type of bumps on my neck till now,will these stop after my skin adjusts to the new type of shaving.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Digging the DE Shaves
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Tom, firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of DE shaving!

I have some Wilkinson sword blades but I've never actually tried them!  My personal favourites are Feathers, which are among the top priced but are super sharp! Just behind the feathers, but available for maybe 8 dollars for 100 (maybe Amazon but definitely at Bestshave.net) are the Astras.  Definitely worth trying out, they work well for me in a bunch of razors.

Regarding your bumps, can you tell us more about your shaving routine.  What do you do prior to the shave?  What soap or cream do you use?  Do you use a brush?  Do you shave with the grain, across the grain, against the grain? What's your post-shave routine?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Tom,

Welcome to DE shaving.  The Astras are good.  So are Derby blades.  Merkur are good, but a little more expensive.  Even so, the DE blades are less than cartridges.

Make sure you rinse the blade well after shaving and shake off as much water as possible to keep the edge from corroding.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
I keep reading good things about using DE razors but I'm not sure I'm ready to try one yet. Aren't they more prone to causing nicks? And how do they compare in price to using something like the HB sport, long-term?
Hair is over rated.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »
I keep reading good things about using DE razors but I'm not sure I'm ready to try one yet. Aren't they more prone to causing nicks? And how do they compare in price to using something like the HB sport, long-term?

Yes, DE razors are more prone to causing nicks and cuts, but the shave is very close and smooth, smoother than anything I've gotten with a cartridge style razor.  DEs take a lot of practice and force you to go more slowly, but that's part of the fun of it.

As to the cost, you invest up front for a well-made razor, usually chrome-plated steel, and then the blades are relatively cheap.  Since there are a number of makers of blades, you can try different ones to find the one you like best.

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
Congrats on winning the E-bay jackpot....I haven't tried them all like others, but I like the Astra. too.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Congrats on the finds. Wilkinson blades are my personal favorites. They are cheap, easily attainable and they give me good shaves. That being said, YMMV. One person's least favorite blade is another person's favorite. That's part of the fun - finding out which baldes work best for you.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

Yes, DE razors are more prone to causing nicks and cuts, but the shave is very close and smooth, smoother than anything I've gotten with a cartridge style razor.  DEs take a lot of practice and force you to go more slowly, but that's part of the fun of it.

As to the cost, you invest up front for a well-made razor, usually chrome-plated steel, and then the blades are relatively cheap.  Since there are a number of makers of blades, you can try different ones to find the one you like best.

I'll start checking it out. The HB gives a good shave but sometimes I feel I can do better.
Hair is over rated.

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
I just saw Dorco stainless DE blades on E-bay for >$9 / 100, postage paid....good price.

Has anyone ever used them?

Are they any good?

???

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
@Justtom:  Tom... Congrats on the find.  Keep us posted on your DE shaves and post your SOTD in the SOTD section. 

@Slynito:  I have tried the Dorco blades.  They provide a good shave but I prefer other blades over the Dorco.  You can't beat the price.  Again...YMMV,  The Astra SP blades are my favorite if you combine performance and price.  For under $10.50... you can get a 100 pack of Astra SP blades at Amazon.   O:O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Slynito

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »
Thank you, Mel...I like Astras, too. BTW, is that the Cape looming up behind you in your photo? Tom 'n' I were wondering.

???

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
Thank you, Mel...I like Astras, too. BTW, is that the Cape looming up behind you in your photo? Tom 'n' I were wondering.

???
  That is Beautiful Pensacola Beach in the background. O:O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Slynito

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

???
  That is Beautiful Pensacola Beach in the background. O:O

WARHAWK O0

OIC...Tom, was correct, you don't live in South Florida. Right?