Author Topic: Time to buzz/shave?  (Read 14999 times)

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
Time to buzz/shave?
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »
(Deleted)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:11:19 PM by MoonageDaydream »

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Time to buzz/shave?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:20:56 AM »
Some bald patches are showing.  Why not try a short buzz and seee how you like it.  Once comfortable you could then try a complete shave.
Roger

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »
Yes, the sooner you get it over with, the sooner you can stop worrying about it.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:49:54 AM »
Its thin but you do have reasonable coverage, so its a matter of choice.  However, MPB will only get worse so if its bothering you now then save the worry and buzz it now when its an active choice.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:57:56 AM »
MPB gets better over time. If you have enough of it, you eventually won't have to shave your head!  (joking).

If you hurry up and shave your head now, you can be BBC and enjoy a new look when you still have a choice.

Yea, you don't have to shave or buzz your head, but it's a really nice hairstyle. Personal opinion, the shorter the better.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »
If I had your level of hair loss I would start of my buzzing it much shorter and then take it from there.  This would allow you to ease into it and slowly acclimate yourself to having shorter hair.  You can always buzz it all off later if and when you're ready to take the plunge. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
It sounds like you're ready for a change, go for it. Get a set of clippers and have your girlfriend buzz it, that will give her some ownership in your new look. Remember, it's only a big deal to you, nobody else really cares that much about your hairstyle.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 05:41:35 AM »
i would go with a short buzz.  personally i did that at your age without hair thinning - just liked it.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
Yep, it is time!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
Go for it. I hesitated too, and let me tell ya, there's nothing to worry about!

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
(Deleted)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:11:50 PM by MoonageDaydream »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:42:56 AM »
Well, I'll suggest that you forget the guard and just buzz with clippers as short as you can. You will look bald to all except when they are very up close.  The very short stubble has a nice feel.  And the bald head looks nice.

But that's not what I did five years ago.  I buzzed to a #2 for a few months, then a #1 for a shorter time, and on to 1/2 and no guard. It was not long after that when I went for shaving my head. I like the bald head best. 

In any case, if you think it's too short, after giving it a try, your hair grows back. About one clipper number per week.

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
(Deleted)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:15:56 PM by MoonageDaydream »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
It is totally up to you how quickly you go, but I suggest you step it down to a #3, then a #2, then  #1, then no guard.  Just maintain the #4 frequently (weekly) until you are ready for the next step.  Realize that a #3 will grow to a #4 length in under a week for most guys.  Some guys go quickly (step it down every week) and some stretch it out.  Consider adding some facial hair, it helps with the transition, and looks especially good with a sly dome.

I would go straight to a razor blade, but that is me.  In fact, I went to the blade before my baldness got to the place where yours is now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:53:57 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »
Well done. You are on your way.

At these shorter lengths, you notice the growth from one size to the next in about one week. So that's when I bought clippers and started doing my own clipper cuts.  My clippers had an incremental adjustment so I could do something like #3 2/3 then #3 1/3 then #3, etc.

Going that slowly it's really hard to notice the change from week to week. Just suddenly someone will notice that you're moving to the short side, but it's no big event.  When you get down to the no guard stage you're ready to break out the razors and even that change is almost unnoticeable, too, but by then everyone is ready for you to shave your head.