Author Topic: best electric razor for shaving my head  (Read 162011 times)

Offline tazdog

• Sly Guy in Training
best electric razor for shaving my head
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »
just wanted to see what kind of electric razors are best for shaving my head?? i've used the headblade for awhile, but lately cutting my head........and yes i've replaced the blades. i like the bald look, but hate the cuts!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:13:58 AM by Tyler »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: best electric razor for shaving my head
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:21:04 AM »
My vote would be for the Panasonic Linear shavers. I bought an ES8243 (not sure about that number, check some of the threads in product reviews). They make 4 head shavers that work wet or dry. The 8243 works fine for me whether I use it in the shower with foam or walking around the house. For dry shaving I always use Williams Lectric Shave. Those blades cut so fast that a truly dry shave with it would leave the scalp looking like a strawberry
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:04:07 AM by Tyler »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »
Agreed!  The Panasonic Linear ES8243 is arguably the best electric out there for head shaving.

Red (Self-Proclaimed Linear Guru)  ^-^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:14:58 AM by Tyler »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:52:11 AM »
My vote is for the Braun 360 Complete
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:15:17 AM by Tyler »
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

benmcd

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:45 AM »
I use a Panasonic Linear ES7109, this is a great razor for getting a pretty good shave. If I don't allow the re-growth to get too bad then it handles it well.
I even like the little battery powered travel razor that came with it.. it does a surprisingly good shave. It is fair to say that a blade will always get your head super smooth, but for a quick shave that it acceptable then I am happy with the Panasonic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:15:38 AM by Tyler »

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
I have the newest highest level Braun (don't know the number) and it does a fine job. Nothing like a blade though. Initially as close but nowhere near the staying power. Have you tried another razor, say the M5. I haven't cut myself with the actual shaving part yet (2 nicks with the stupid trimming blade). Some people, i'm afraid, just shouldn't use the headblade. It's great if you have a nice smooth round head, but if you have any ridges, valleys, etc. that's when it gets you.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline spiders96

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
I'm glad that I found this post.  I was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, and I'm currently undergoing treatments at the Duke Brain Tumor Center in Durhman, NC.  I'm getting daily radiation and chemo, and I'm optimistic about my chances.  All is well here.

I am very much a Type A personality, and I am doing everything in my power to beat cancer using assertive nutrition, fitness, meditation, and other personal techniques.  Part of my strategy includes eliminating unnecessary metals and toxins in my body, so I've switched to electric shaving for my face.  I bought the top of the line Braun electric foil razor, and it is working very well.

Because of the radiation and chemo, I'm at a point where it is almost time for me to shave my head bald.  I'm ready to do it.  I'm going to a barber to have it done for the first time, but I'm hoping I can use the Braun to maintain it.  I'll switch to cream and regular razors if I have to, but I'm hoping this works for me.

Has anyone used the Braun foil razor with success to keep their head bald?  Any tips or tricks?  Also, I am getting a lot of skin irritation because of the radiation aimed at my head.  I'm going to try some of the Nutragena products to manage it.  Any advice about that?

Thanks for considering the questions of a total noob.  :)

-Joe

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
I have the newest highest level Braun (don't know the number) and it does a fine job. Nothing like a blade though. Initially as close but nowhere near the staying power. Have you tried another razor, say the M5. I haven't cut myself with the actual shaving part yet (2 nicks with the stupid trimming blade). Some people, i'm afraid, just shouldn't use the headblade. It's great if you have a nice smooth round head, but if you have any ridges, valleys, etc. that's when it gets you.

That "stupid trimming blade" is why I gave up on he M5. Also, I have known Todd  since the beginning and use most of the HB products but have never been able to use the HB even after numerous tries.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:06:55 PM by Tom G. »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:24:29 AM by Tyler »

Offline spiders96

• Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Razor X,

Thanks for the tip, and thanks for the best wishes!  I'll take a closer look at the Conair.

-Joe   :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
Good luck.  It's smart to get ahead of the hair thing.  My son-in-law has a good friend who's a brain cancer survivor and he's stayed sly. 

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »
My vote goes to the Conair Cleanhead too.  

And for ultra-cheap, late day touch-ups, that little battery powered MICROForce razor gets really close.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:17:47 AM by Tyler »
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
ahem... I hate to say it but I think we have another guy playing out a fantasy like Timbo1941....

Offline spiders96

• Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I think I'll go with the headblade based on what I've read here and elsewhere.  It seems like a good place to start.  I've read that the key to making that work is to not apply too much pressure when you are shaving with it.  I'm honestly a little apprehensive about the whole thing.  It's just that it's a change for me, but one that is inevitable given my current situation.  I'm OK with it, but it's just a change.

As you can see on the blog site that I'm keeping (link posted in my profile and in my signature), I had a round of surgery earlier this summer, and I have a 7 inch scar that runs across the top of my head.  Once I shave it all off, I'll need to wear hats so that I don't freak people out.  I won't have the nice smooth and sly look.  That's OK, but it's just one more aspect of this that I need to deal with.

I'll post back once I take the plunge.  Thanks again for the advice!  I really appreciate it.   O:O

BTW, who's timbo1941, and what's the link to me?  I assure you this is no fantasy for me.  I only wish that were the case.  Take a quick look at my blog to get a small dose of my reality.  Not sure about that comment....maybe I'm taking it wrong or just misunderstand.

Best wishes, peace, and good health to all.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:36:18 PM by spiders96 »

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I think I'll go with the headblade based on what I've read here and elsewhere.  It seems like a good place to start.  I've read that the key to making that work is to not apply too much pressure when you are shaving with it.

That's not just the key, (as if it's a little known tip of some kind) it's actually in the instructions. To press down is simply to use it wrong. Though it could use a little more weight.  If it didn't need it, the S4 Shadow wouldn't get reviews as being better (due to it's weight).
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)