Author Topic: 19 and losing my hair. Thoughts?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline JohnJones

• Learning the way of Sly
19 and losing my hair. Thoughts?
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:08:24 AM »
I started noticing my receding hairline my junior year in Highschool, and for the first 2 years i wore my hair short and styled. Not to bad, however once i noticed i was receding a little bit i started to grow it out and have a full and ridiculous comb over look. Wind was my worst enemy. However, graduating and dealing with this made me a more realistic person. I did all types of research and knew it was hopeless to fight it. So after graduation i began wearing alot of hats, just ignoring it all together.. Ruined my self esteem, ruined a few chance to get some action.. Eventually i grew a pair and stopped wearing the hat and styling/owning the look.. but eventually even that began to fade until it was truly hopeless.. 2 years into college.. a month ago my father who is bald, hooked me up with a trimmer set.. ( grandfather is bald as well), well iv been trimming it down to a 1 every so often.. and havnt had the confidence to just walk around campus and own it. I hide under that hat once again. Hate it. Just wanted some opinions on how bad it truly is, or if im just being critical.. My buddies make good jokes and say im screwed. Makes me laugh but also makes me question if theyre being brutally honest.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:15:35 AM by JohnJones »

Offline JohnJones

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: 19 and losing my hair. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:44 AM »
Excuse the poor beard trim. Sad day, accidently chopped a side burn and messed the working progress all up.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
Welcome to the board!

The short buzz doesn't look too bad and you have nice beard coverage. If you aren't ready to go all the way yet, that doesn't look too bad, but maybe you could try a shorter, no-guard buzz to start? I think you're being harder on yourself than you have to be. I'd grow out the beard a little more to detract from your current hairline. But down the road if the receding continues, you might have to look into wet shaving, but I think you're okay where you are now (unless you just want to try the wet shave).
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:52:44 AM »
Pictures look awesome, you carry that look well.  There is no need to hide under a hat.  If you wanted to try sly, given the length you are currently wearing, if you didn't like sly you rally would not have to wait long to get back to your current style.  That said if you do try sly, remember the 30day rule, it does take a while to get used to any new look

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:01:20 AM »
at your age in college I kept my hair as short as yours by desire.  Sure I got kidded - my nickname was cueball.  I never wore hat.  I gained self confidence however realizing  I had the courage to be different. 

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
WELCOME to the forum!!

I think you look great with your hair buzzed short like it is now.  I too think you could go closer and still look awesome.  Don't hide under hats.  Your head and face with the beard look great together.  Do what makes you happy but just know that your look is great as is.  If you want to try shaving your head I say go for it.  If you aren't happy you can grow it back out to the current length in no time but I think you will love it once you do it!  Best of luck man in whatever choice you choose! O0