Author Topic: What should I be putting on my head after I shave?  (Read 62537 times)

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
What should I be putting on my head after I shave?
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:35:12 AM »
I've been shaving daily for about a week now, using a mach 3 and a store brand gillette shaving gel knock off.  The first couple of days I shaved, I put some gillette after shave gel on my head, which felt wonderful, but really dried my skin out.  So I started using some Suave hand lotion on my head after I shave, which kept my head from drying out, but it tends to make my head feel oily.  Also, I've started getting some bumps on the back of my head... nothing to bad, but it is annoying.  I've tried a Vitamin E gel that I picked up at the store, but it smells kinda funky, so I probably would only use it before bed.

So even though I'm sticking with my mach 3, I'm thinking of getting Head Slick, Head Lube, and Clear Head (for the bumps) from the headblade company.  Can I use the headlube and the clear head together?  Or should I keep the headlube off the back of the head, where I'll be putting the clear head when the red bumps show up?  Or are there other products I should consider?

And thanks to all the veteran sly guys that have made this sly noob feel welcome.

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
Re: What should I be putting on my head after I shave?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:47 AM »
I shave with Gillette Fusion:clear skin gel... afterwards I either use regular after shave balm or sunless tanner lotion... probably not quite the answer you were looking for...

I have been researching Matte products, that are supposed to give use and dull porcelain look... but I haven't tried any yet
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
I use shave oil on my head, under the Headslick, after shaving use Headclear, then Head lube glossy. Have no bumps. Its a bit of an outlay initially but worth every penny (cent to you guys)  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline DaithiSean

• Sly
  • stern mode whilst trying to work my webcam
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
I use either Headslick or shaving soap to shave and then put a tiny drop of baby oil on my head, rub it well in and then finish off with Headlube shiny.  I find that's the best way for me to keep the shine and moisturise at the same time

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:44:34 AM »
I use Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm on my head as a last step after shaving.

Love it and it's easy to find.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm !!    O0

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
Does the Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm have fragrance in it?  I remember when I was a teenager with acne, a dermatologist told me to avoid breakouts, don't use anything on my face with fragrance in it, especially after I shave.  To this day I wash my face with fragrance free soap, and am thinking I should perhaps be doing the same thing with my head.  It seems the Head Slick and Head Lube don't have fragrance, so that's why I'm gonna give them a shot to see how well they work.

I went with the grain on the back of my head today, and while it's not as smooth as the rest of my head, there's no red bumps or breakout, so that may be a compromise I have to live with.  We shall see.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
Does the Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm have fragrance in it?  I remember when I was a teenager with acne, a dermatologist told me to avoid breakouts, don't use anything on my face with fragrance in it, especially after I shave.  To this day I wash my face with fragrance free soap, and am thinking I should perhaps be doing the same thing with my head.  It seems the Head Slick and Head Lube don't have fragrance, so that's why I'm gonna give them a shot to see how well they work.

I went with the grain on the back of my head today, and while it's not as smooth as the rest of my head, there's no red bumps or breakout, so that may be a compromise I have to live with.  We shall see.

I have been shaving for 4 months and for me it still is not easy to shave against the grain on the back of my head.  What I do is shave with the grain and then shave sideways.  It still doesn't make it as smooth as going against the grain but I will live with that. 
After I shave (Mach 3 with bald guyz shave gel),  I put on some Bald Guyz Moisture Gel.  You might want to give it a try, I think you will like it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:15:50 PM by SBG Math Guy »

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »

It does have a small amount but it's not overpowering...

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
Fruit of the Earth, Aloe Vera gel is great for the skin after shaving and gives a great shine too.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

It does have a small amount but it's not overpowering...

It's not the smell that bothers me, it's that fragrance can irritate my skin.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
You can't go wrong with Headlube glossy. No dyes. No perfumes. It's awesome.

The matte makes my head burn like hell though.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
Fruit of the Earth, Aloe Vera gel is great for the skin after shaving and gives a great shine too.
Yup, Paul, this works great. Or slap on some Gillette Afta lotion and watch it shine. That's what I have working here.
<---------
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:30:14 PM by Rob6 »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
I would say try the Headblade products first. As Cam stated, they are dye and perfume free.
You can try either the Glossy or Matte, depending on how you want the noggin' to look.

Aloe Vera gel is also very good, as our man Paul mentioned.

Good luck, and keep it smooth!     O0

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »
I use BaldGuyz moisture gel
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Enter your email address: