Author Topic: New Guy and first post with a question  (Read 8483 times)

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
New Guy and first post with a question
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »
 Hi.I'm Ray and I just recently got a short buzzcut.I was at the barber a few weeks ago and as I was getting my hair cut, she asked,"should I leave this part a little longer?".That was it for me.I decided if that question has to be asked then it is time to go short.I bought a Wahl trimmer and used the 1/2" guide which cuts to 1/16".I was wondering if Wahl makes a guide that would go any shorter.I definitely am not ready to shave my head but I do love this new buzz cut.It is really liberating I guess you could say.I've read about just using the clippers with no guide but that could result in cutting your scalp.I saw a guy at work with red marks all over his head from not using a guide and it looked terrible.I did see that Wahl makes a balding clipper.How does that work and is there a danger of cutting your scalp?Thanks.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: New Guy and first post with a question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

Glad you joined us, Ray.

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with the Wahl balding clipper, but I used my trimmer without any guide, and it did not give me any irritation. As long as you go slow and keep the head flat against your scalp such that it does not scrape against the skin, there should not be problem.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:44 AM »
Welcome Ray.

Lots of guys here use the trimmer so I expect you'll get good advice.

If you discover later you are ready to shave it smooth, there are plenty of guys here to advise with that too.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »
I use Wahl Balding Clippers and they are great. Once you have mastered the art and want to go shorter, buy the Wahl Detailers and set them.. But with the latter, do be careful as they will cut you !

Happy barbering  O0
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:29:45 AM »
I just bought some Wahl balding clippers last night.They work great.I'm not ready yet fro the chrome dome but these did a great job.I think that I pressed down too hard with them though because I irritated the area around my neck in the back of my head.I'll get the hang of it though.

Offline sevenwithcheese

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
I don't understand why you're so apprehensive about shaving it, it'll literally take three days top to get your hair back to a no guard buzz.  Why not try it and see if it suits you?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »
They are not balding clippers, but they are Wahl.  Mine clipper to about 1 mm or perhaps .5mm with no guard.  I have never had an issue with nicks or red marks due to the clipper. 

The guys with the balding clipper may be able to comment on that model.  Just seems pretty hard to go wrong with clipper/no guard.  It gives a bald look from a few feet away.  The short fuzz feels nice. But then shaved smooth is a really nice feel.

Enter your email address: