Author Topic: Which Witch Hazel? (See what I did there) Alcohol or No Alcohol  (Read 2442 times)

Offline bald-smurf

• Learning the way of Sly
Hello everyone.

First post.
I lurked on here for almost a year debating to shave or not. Hearing all the stories, support, etc. here really pushed me over the edge to finally take the plunge. So thanks to everyone!
If anyone is like me thinking about it/debating it - JUST DO IT. After I did it I felt sooo much better and really could not believe how much of a big fuss I made about doing it.
Ok to the question:

Which Witch Hazel do you recommend or use?
The one that has bit of Alcohol in it, like T.N. Dickinson's.
Or the one like Thayers Alcohol-free, that does not contain Alcohol.

Is there any benefits for using one over the other? Does it matter?

Thanks

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: Which Witch Hazel? (See what I did there) Alcohol or No Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »
First off, welcome to SBG! You'll typically find some of the nicest people on the internet around here.

For your question: I've used the thayers, dickinsons, walmart store brand, publix store brand, and Wynn dixie store brand.  In terms of efficacy I found no difference (even with the more expensive thayers alcohol free). There was one gogantic difference though... The cost! Now I just use the store brand.  Same crap, same soothing results, fraction of the price.  At my local walmart, for example, I can get dickinsons for about $5 while the same size bottle of their store brand is $1.25

Now keep in mind my skin benefits highly from alcohol and so forth.  If I use moisturizers I get pimples.  So for me I can get away with using the cheap witch hazel and use an alcohol based AS after that.  If your skin is very sensitive to alcohol then you may want to consider trying the thayers alcohol free.  It's the same stuff except cheaper witch hazel is typically 86% WH cut with 14% ISO alcohol.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:19:10 AM »
Also something else to consider: get a small spray bottle for your witch hazel.  When I used to splash it on I would go through a bottle every 10 days.  Now, with a spray bottle, I get a month out of a bottle.

Same goes for aftershave splashes.  Use aqua velva for example: via splash a bottle would last me about two weeks but via spray bottle I get over a month out of a bottle of aftershave

Offline bald-smurf

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the answers!

I just picked up some cheap stuff from local store it was under $2 to try out.
Spray bottle is a great idea. I picked one up too.

I have another question about Aloe Vera, but will make a new topic for it.

Thanks.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
To add to this, the "alcohol free" witch hazel is just marketing hype.  Even the expensive "alcohol free" witch hazel will list it's ingredients as "100% Witch Hazel" then somewhere underneath it you'll find some type of statement about "diluted to 76% with alcohol" or "contains 14% alcohol"

Tricky, right?

Just stick with the store brand.

And I have a ton of experience with aloe as well so I'll chime in on your other post also.

Enter your email address: