Author Topic: Good books  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Good books
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
Hey guys, I'm nearing the end of my list for books to read or listen to.  Anyone have any suggestions for good books to read?  I'm also a huge fan of audio books.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Good books
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
If you like historical books, Erik Larsen is a good writer.  I'd suggest "Isaac's Storm", "In the Garden of Beasts" and "Dead Wake".  They're about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, the rise of Hitler and the last crossing of the Lusitania, respectively.

Also there is an Irish mystery writer, Tana French who's written five books about the fictional Dublin Police Murder Squad.  The books are In the Woods, The Likeness, Faithful Place, Broken Harbor and The Secret Place.  I've read all five and really enjoyed them.  She really develops the characters and settings, so you can picture everything that's going on. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
Thanks, I'll check them out!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
Try Ken Follett's 20th Century Trilogy:  Fall of Giants is  the first and follows five interrelated families throughout the course of the 20th century.  The sequel Winter of the World covers World War II and the third book, Edge of Eternity, covers the Cold War era. A great read. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »
If you're a fan of detective novels, Tony Hillerman's books are good.
Hair is over rated.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
My favorite author is Janet Evanovich and her series of 22 Stephanie Plum mystery novels. Very funny and entertaining.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
Try Ken Follett's 20th Century Trilogy:  Fall of Giants is  the first and follows five interrelated families throughout the course of the 20th century.  The sequel Winter of the World covers World War II and the third book, Edge of Eternity, covers the Cold War era. A great read. 

Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" is also a great read, but the sequel "World Without End" is a dud.

Leon Uris' "Trinity" (written in the 1970's) follows three families in Ireland up to the Easter Uprising in 1916.  It's a great book.

Enter your email address: