Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741551 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #495 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
@ Switchy:  Sure... I might have to do that one day.  BTW... I would like to see your SOTD pics.  I see you got a Gillette Fatboy.  Post a pic of that legendary razor.  I got a 1960 Fatboy that shaves like a dream.

WARHAWK
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
Just got a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat a couple days ago and tried it out today!  This shaving soap, affectionately known as "the Fat" by its many devoted followers, is some of the most revered in the world.  So naturally I had to try it out!  At about $14 a puck, this stuff had better be good  :x!

I've heard about its world-class shaving properties, but that it also takes some practice to build the perfect lather with it.  I used warm water instead of hot as hot water supposedly breaks down the lanolin (wool fat) and makes the lather worse.  I also started with a drier than normal brush and added water as needed.  I face lathered like always, and this is the preferred method for making lather with this particular soap.  The soap has a very mild scent; it's kind of soapy/powdery mix.  Not unpleasant at all.

It took a little longer than usual to make a solid lather, but it was definitely worth it!  The shave was as smooth as I can ask for, and after rinsing my head and face, I could feel the lanolin coating my skin for a few minutes.  It has a very nice moisturizing property. 

Overall it was a superb shave, but nothing I haven't had before with different creams or soaps.  I feel if I can make the lather even better with practice then I can have a world-class shaving experience!

Razor: EJ de89
Blade: Astra SP
Soap:  Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Vulfix badger
Preshave: Hot water
Postshave: Cold water, alum block, Nivea A/S balm
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
My shave today was with a puck of Tabac soap. It's not like the other soaps I've tried in that I had a tough time making a good lather with it. It will take a few more tries to figure out how to make it better. 

Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Razor: Merkur - setting 2
Soap: Tabac
A/S: Gillette A/S lotion
Results: BBS
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »
My shave today was with a puck of Tabac soap. It's not like the other soaps I've tried in that I had a tough time making a good lather with it. It will take a few more tries to figure out how to make it better. 

Keep at it Doug!  If you can get past the smell (I've learned to tolerate it because the lather is top drawer) then you're in for a fantastic shaving experience!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Just got a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat a couple days ago and tried it out today!  This shaving soap, affectionately known as "the Fat" by its many devoted followers, is some of the most revered in the world.  So naturally I had to try it out!  At about $14 a puck, this stuff had better be good  :x!

I've heard about its world-class shaving properties, but that it also takes some practice to build the perfect lather with it.  I used warm water instead of hot as hot water supposedly breaks down the lanolin (wool fat) and makes the lather worse.  I also started with a drier than normal brush and added water as needed.  I face lathered like always, and this is the preferred method for making lather with this particular soap.  The soap has a very mild scent; it's kind of soapy/powdery mix.  Not unpleasant at all.

It took a little longer than usual to make a solid lather, but it was definitely worth it!  The shave was as smooth as I can ask for, and after rinsing my head and face, I could feel the lanolin coating my skin for a few minutes.  It has a very nice moisturizing property. 

Overall it was a superb shave, but nothing I haven't had before with different creams or soaps.  I feel if I can make the lather even better with practice then I can have a world-class shaving experience!

Razor: EJ de89
Blade: Astra SP
Soap:  Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Vulfix badger
Preshave: Hot water
Postshave: Cold water, alum block, Nivea A/S balm

Make sure you give the soap time to dry off before putting it away.  I didn't and mine went mouldy.... :0(

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re: Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #500 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43:18 PM »

Keep at it Doug!  If you can get past the smell (I've learned to tolerate it because the lather is top drawer) then you're in for a fantastic shaving experience!

Does it take a lot of water?
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #501 on: February 02, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »

Does it take a lot of water?

I think I leave some water soaking on top while I shower, then lather with an averagely wet brush.  A puck lasts forever though so test it even when you're not shaving.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #502 on: February 02, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »
Hey hey,

Gem 1912
34C
Gillette Yellow
TGN Brush
MWF

First pass was with the SE and XTG and ATG was with the 34C.

Possibly one of the best shaves I've ever had. Really smooth and no irritation at all. Life is good!
Lynchy

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #503 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »

Used MWF myself this AM, it's pretty damn good!

Lather is just a tad fickle at times!
Lynchy

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #504 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
Hi gents!  I hope all is well with you & your families.   I had a spectacular face & dome shave with the Cobra Classic last night.  I am thoroughly enjoying this hybrid SE razor.  Mike's Natural Soap continues to be a great performing soap.  The Lemongrass has an invigorating fresh scent.  All I gotta say is that there is nothing better, smoother, and more fun than a safety razor shave.

WARHAWK

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #505 on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
Had a few nice shaves with the Gem over the last few days!

Very smooth and no irritation!
Lynchy

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #506 on: February 07, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
Thursday night, February 7, 2013 SOTD

Razor:  Merkur Progress

Blade:  Astra SP

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap (Bay Rum)

Brush:  Semogue 1438

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated witch hazel, refrigerated  Osage Rub

I had a very relaxing, soothing DE shave tonight.  What a way to end the day.  I absolutely love Mystic Water Soap Bay Rum.  It continues to perform great and the scent is out of this world.  Love it.

WARHAWK

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #507 on: February 07, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
Thursday night, February 7, 2013 SOTD

Razor:  Merkur Progress

Blade:  Astra SP

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap (Bay Rum)

Brush:  Semogue 1438

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated witch hazel, refrigerated  Osage Rub

I had a very relaxing, soothing DE shave tonight.  What a way to end the day.  I absolutely love Mystic Water Soap Bay Rum.  It continues to perform great and the scent is out of this world.  Love it.

WARHAWK

Giving the CC a break Mel? ;0)
I've been using my G type injector every day of late.  I really need more faces to shave to give my other razors a chance!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #508 on: February 07, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
 Hi Brian:  Ha!!! ;D  Yes... as much as I am enjoying the CC.  I am giving the CC a break to give more attention to my other razors.  I am with you on the more faces.  Glad that you are loving your injector shaves.  I bet your 37C and Progress are begging for your affection. ;)

I am thoroughly enjoying my wet shaving journey.  I hope that we can encourage more SBGs to join in on the fun.  If you are on the fence... I can guarantee you that you will "boost" up your shaving routine and have more fun doing it.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #509 on: February 14, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Let's get things rolling again on this page!

Headshave:
Razor: Gillette Guard
Soap: as per face below

Face:
Feather artist club straight razor
Palmolive lemon shave cream
Dachmann badger brush

Dessert: Kanwa aftershave balm - very light and unscented.

Enter your email address: