Author Topic: Shaved head after a hair transplant  (Read 66676 times)

Offline gak555

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Shaved head after a hair transplant
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »
Oldfoolwisebaldy or anyone else.  If you shave your plugs and leave the donor area just long enough not to show the scaring, will the areas where the plugs were be noticable ?

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 10:33:48 PM »
Hey wanttobebald
 I really appreciate your story.  For anyone ever thinking of getting a HT it should be an eye opener. *Sigh*  The things we do for our vanity.  Someone in the post mentioned Bio Oil.  Give it  a try.  My wife had scarring on both arms from an oven burn.  I thought it was just snake oil, but she tried it anyway.  Wow-it works!  It's not that expensive, but it is worth a try.  Take care!

Offline slymerson

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »
There are lots of options to improving the recip. They depend on the kind of work you've had done. You can do fraxel, laser hair removal, dermabrasion, peels, topicals, etc. ( fraxel would work well for this and would be safer on hair you want to keep)
You can try to stimulate hair growth..try the Matthew Gardson's method, works pretty good for me
After that you have lots of different paths to the same result. It'll be trial and error trying to see what works to your satisfaction.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »

I had a HT in 2003. For 5 years I sprinkled crap in my hair and used that hair in a can stuff. Finally my hair got so thin that I resorted to a rug. I couldn't stand it so I yanked it and shaved my head scars and all. The reaction at work was so terrible that I went back to the rug (that was 08). Last year at about this time of year I once again couldn't take the rug, yanked it and came into work with my head shaved - same exact reaction. I went back to the rug. About a month ago I yanked the rug and shaved for the third time, determined never to go back. The first few weeks were HORRIBLE, but now its probably been two weeks since anyone has said anything. The world has finally gotten used to me like this, and it only took a few weeks. I don't look as "handsome" as I did with the rug when the rug looked good (.000000000001% of the time), but at least I'm not a fake hiding under a rug. I like my shaved head. I think it looks more virile. My sister even said to me this weekend"I'm glad you shaved your head. You look like a real man. I hated that long sissy hair you had before". I honestly believe that real men shave their heads. Even if you have scars like me the world will get used to them. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline bryanw

Talk about a scar...
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
I'm 32 years old and have never had a HT but I did have a liver transplant when I was 13. That's one scar. Then, 3 years ago, I had brain surgery and now have a giant question mark scar on the side of my head and bumps from the removal of my skull. Now, at 32 I'm thinning like crazy.

Oh how I wish I could shave my head. Actually, I buzzed it to the guard right before I went into surgery and got a lot of compliments as to how great I looked. Now I have a bumpy majorly scarred head. If you have a HT scar, it could be worse.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:54:40 PM by bryanw »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 05:37:32 AM »
I'm 32 years old and have never had a HT but I did have a liver transplant when I was 13. That's one scar. Then, 3 years ago, I had brain surgery and now have a giant question mark scar on the side of my head and bumps from the removal of my skull. Now, at 32 I'm thinning like crazy.

Oh how I wish I could shave my head. Actually, I buzzed it to the guard right before I went into surgery and got a lot of compliments as to how great I looked. Now I have a bumpy majorly scarred head. If you have a HT scar, it could be worse.

Sorry to hear about that Bryan. I hope your health now is good.
Can you post a pic?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Dietrich

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
Hello!

I realize that this thread started quite some time ago, but I saw a fairly recent response too.

I've never gone the HT route, but I'll confess that in my 20s it was a thought. The advertising can be very convincing, and most folks didn't have the internet back then.

There was no opposing voice, no tragic photos, just the professionally made commercials on tv. Even so, it was very noticable that LIGHTING was a huge factor in the Before/After photos. Something obvioulsy dishonest was going on!

"Before" photos usually had a sad looking dude with a blotchy pale balding scalp, facing forward and down. 

"After" almost always had a differently-lit photo, smiling tanned guy with his head tilted back, waaaayyy back, hair combed and gelled...

But when judgement is clouded by insecurity, and contracts are worded to trap young guys.... The results can be read on this link, which many of you may have already seen.

I'm SO glad I didn't go that route, but I did consider it. I wish there was a way that everyone considering HTs could have access to these stories, to weigh them against the shady dishonest advertisers who have the resources to present their claims as truth. Read on...

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

Offline oldkookskater

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
Has anyone looked into a scar cream like Mederma or a similar product that advertises reducing the appearance of scars?  I'm surprised that a company in this line of business hasn't begun marketing product to men who've undergone the hair transplant procedure and were unhappy and decided just to shave.

I say it's worth a shot if it'll minimize the appearance of the scars.  Just a thought anyway and would only run probably $10 - $12 to try it out.  If you've had the procedure, what have you got to lose?  Other than the scar(s)?
rob

Offline andy29

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
Another newbe!! First msg on this.. I had an fue about 4 years ago, im now 29 and hair is thinning fast!! I really want to shave my head but cant see the smalls scars in recipient area and im yerrified wit it will look. My girlfriend dosnt even know iv had it done which makes it very difficult! ! The main thing I want to know is how well fraxel actually improves these. Im not so worried about the doner. Iv spent hour searcing online to fond out but have only come across  a couple of good reviews. If anyone has had fraxel on recipient area please let me know how it went. Pm if it suits. Thanks..