Author Topic: problem when clipping with no guard  (Read 11912 times)

Offline joshclem

• Learning the way of Sly
problem when clipping with no guard
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:33:52 AM »
Sup baldies

I have been cutting my hair with the PHILLIPS - CUT YOUR OWN HAIR - i have been using them with no guard which is apparently 0.8mm, my problem is, i try and do it all over again and again but at the end im left with little dark dots on my head which are like small tufts of hair sticking together, like i have missed them even tho i keep going over them again and again, any idea why this is?

Maybe a more expensive wahl clipper would help? also does a wahl clipper with no guard cut to 0.8mm like the phillips?

thanks for help

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: problem when clipping with no guard
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »
I believe that the Wahl Balding Clippers cut closer than that.

Offline joshclem

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
i like my stubbley head at the moment, will the balding clippers make me sly and shiny or still sticky and stubbly?

regards

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
Josh,

Don't know enough about the Wahl clippers to express my opinion on them, but I am more than sure the Conair CleanHead can give you more than satisfactory results (extremely close, clean shave w/no irritation).

Website info - http://www.iknowheads.com

(After the intro, click on the "How To Use" link at the top of the page.

I know that Sears, for one, has the CleanHead in stock for around $35-40, but you can find them somewhat cheaper by ordering online, if you prefer.

- Cap'n Noodles -
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:22:28 AM by Noodles »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
i like my stubbley head at the moment, will the balding clippers make me sly and shiny or still sticky and stubbly?

regards

Still sticky and stubbly. The only way to get sly and shiny is to use a razor.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »

I agree with Tom here. The clippers will only get you so close, which sounds like what you're looking for.
Shiny and smooth comes only from a blade shave. Try it though, you may really like it. If not you can keep it at a tight buzz, which is also a good look and feel.
Once a month I do this myself since I like the buzzed look and it also gives my scalp a break. When I do shave it again, it's super smooth.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Josh, I'm not sure what kind of hair you have (curly vs. straight, thick vs. thin, etc.).  I suggest you post a picture of some sort; even if it's just the top of your head, whatever.  ???

It may be that your current clippers just aren't the right type for you.  You might try the others mentioned (I've seen some guys say they like the Conair Cleanhead).  Another option might be to go to your nearest discount store and just get some inexpensive clippers and do the buzz deed about every day or so, as needed.   ;)

Since I have straight, thin "cruel" hair  :/O  I haven't experienced anything of this sort.  My hair has never been a cutting problem except when I've had too much magic elixer  `Dr!n# $#*t and I attempt the impossible (at that point and time)  :*))