Author Topic: Just wanted to say hi, just joined SBG's  (Read 3768 times)

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
Just wanted to say hi, just joined SBG's
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
Hello all, Im Brannon, I am a 49, about to be a 50 year old guy actually this month. I cant believe where the time has gone. Anyway, let me tell you guys a little about myself. Well, as I said earlier, Im about to be 50, like many in my generation, I was a kid in the 70s and a teen and young adult in the 80s. As far as my hair was back then, in the 70s, it was all one length, the let it be look, shaggy type cut. In the late 70s early 80s, it was the all one length, feathered type style. Now in the mid to early 90s, I was a hairband guy, with hair past the middle of my back. I had a lot of hair back then, but I noticed in the early/mid 90s I was receding and thinning some. Not to big of a deal, but I quit the hairband thing of the 80s, and decided to cut my long hair off. I was tired of it. So, I bumped along, I started to recede more and more, and thin out also. One day in the mid 2000s, I looked in a three way mirror one day, and notices a little scalp hole in the back. Did not think anything about it, because my hair was really thin in the back. Well, that took mayby 4 years to progress to the point where it was beginning to get really noticeable. The front and temples were going fast as well. When it all went, it went fast. Now, I shave my head with no guard. Mayby I will get up the nerve to just shave it clean soon. Im married, snd my wife could care less. She loves me for me.....Just saying.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:35:41 PM by brannon67 »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just wanted to say hi, just joined SBG's
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
Welcome.  The main differences between a no guard buzz and a razor shave is the smooth feel, less shadow, and the relaxation of the shave itself.  Most guys that try the razor blade shave really like it, but few other than yourself and other head shavers will notice a difference.  If you try, give yourself some time to "learn" to shave your head.  When I started, it was about a 20 minute job, but within a month or two of daily shaving it was down to less than 5 minutes.
SlyBeard

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
Welcome Brannon
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Welcome , and give the razor a try. You may do it more often, but it's easier and feels great. You can shave every few days if you wish. The difference in looks , not  really noticeable.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:37 AM »
Good for your wife ... accepting you as you are!

The shaved head only shows up in close range compared to a buzz, no guard.  But the feel is incredibly different. Well worth the try. 30 days rule ...  The difference between a shaved head and buzzed no guard is about 6 days.  But It's unlikely you won't enjoy the smooth head. 

Welcome and enjoy shaving your head.  Bald guys rock.  BBC and BBN

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Welcome, Brannon! On a side note, I have three friends who are turning 50 this month as well!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I am down to no guard from a( 1 then a 1/2) on the clipper cut now, so Im getting there. Next will be clean shaven. Baby steps I guess.

I have a question, and I know that it has been answered on here many many times, but I just want to know if you guys could grow hair(I know some of you are BBC) would you want to grow your hair back and style it anyway you want to.(not having to ever worry about losing it) In a nutshell, what Im really asking, would you want hair now, or not? I guess with me, I would want hair, if it were thick and I did not have the MPB gene at all, and did not have to worry about thinning, receding, etc. Im not that lucky, so Im dealing with it I guess. Im just dealing with my youth being so far behind me, Ha
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:37:08 PM by brannon67 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »
I am still pretty well BBC, and over the last 4 years I have tried growing my hair back numerous times. I never can seem to get beyond 4-6 weeks before shaving it off again.

Several reasons, I think the white hair makes me look older. I also love how a freshly shaved head feels, and I enjoy the shaving routine too. When I see a few guys with great looking bald heads, I can't resist returning to sly.

I also have a dermatitis issue on my head that totally disappears when I shave daily.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:00:47 AM »
Brannon, I'm fully BBC. I have a full head of hair. I could grow it out and mess with styling and combing and shampoo and all that. But about 10 years ago, a friend at work (we are in the IT department) suggested that we go with shorter hair and we both did a buzz cut. Fit right in with all the other guys with very short hair.  I kept going shorter and shorter over a period of time. Eventually joined SBG as I was talking with several fellows who are BBN.  Just had to try the shaving routine. 

Reddog is about 1 year behind me in experience. I've been shaving my head for 5 1/2 years now. No intention of going back to hair unless I'm an invalid in the nursing home and they won't shave it for me and I can't. Other than that, I'm sticking with a sly bald head. Occasionally I've gone a week without shaving, but that's about all I can stand. Can't wait to get back to the great feel of a smooth top. 

And here in the South, a bald or nearly bald head is very common.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
Welcome to SBG!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
Im doing this thing very slowly. Im down to a 1/2 guard now. Then on to a no guard, then eventually on to shaving the dome slick. Its taking me a little while.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 04:43:47 AM »
Im doing this thing very slowly. Im down to a 1/2 guard now. Then on to a no guard, then eventually on to shaving the dome slick. Its taking me a little while.

Nothimg wrong with that; everyone in their own time and at their own pace.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.