Author Topic: Religon  (Read 54569 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: Religon
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2016, 04:37:00 AM »
Thanks sirharry!

I've been a part of many different forums and most of the time the participants are not nice to eachother. This is one of the only brotherly, polite, and helpful forums out there!

If you want to be blown away by a level of disrespect you never thought possible spend five mins on the pearl drummers forum haha
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »
I guess you could say I'm a seeker...I grew up in an atheist household, but lately I've been really attracted to the idea of a God. Not sure if I'm changing my mind, but I can't really shake the feeling that I need to look into it. Any advice?

I grew up avery strong atheist and now I'm a youth minister in the christian faith. Its crazy how things turn around. All I can tell you is that people have a desire to worship something. Some people choose money, celebrity, health, etc. I think its because we are made to worship. I believe thats why you are feeling a pull to seek God. Keep it simple. Don't get caught in the complexity that can come with religion. And don't get bogged down and turned off by the religious jerks that preach intolerance. I compare them to the worst sports fans. Like when someone says they hate "team A" because the fans suck. There are more of us that aren't like them at all. A book that illustrates this is, Jesus > Religion by Jefferson Bethke. Good luck to you.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
I guess you could say I'm a seeker...I grew up in an atheist household, but lately I've been really attracted to the idea of a God. Not sure if I'm changing my mind, but I can't really shake the feeling that I need to look into it. Any advice?

I grew up avery strong atheist and now I'm a youth minister in the christian faith. Its crazy how things turn around. All I can tell you is that people have a desire to worship something. Some people choose money, celebrity, health, etc. I think its because we are made to worship. I believe thats why you are feeling a pull to seek God. Keep it simple. Don't get caught in the complexity that can come with religion. And don't get bogged down and turned off by the religious jerks that preach intolerance. I compare them to the worst sports fans. Like when someone says they hate "team A" because the fans suck. There are more of us that aren't like them at all. A book that illustrates this is, Jesus > Religion by Jefferson Bethke. Good luck to you.

Very well said jbrit25

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Im disappointed that speaking about faith is against the rules, but this is the america we now live in.

I am a Christian, a follower of Christ. My name is Christian, if thats a funny story to anyone!

I used to be Baptist but am non denominational. I attend "church services" for lack of a better term with likeminded Christians who are sometimes referred to by others as "the Brethren" or "Plymouth Brethren" or "people of the Book", although we do not take a name for ourselves. I find more value and benefit in taking no name but Christ's - this is my personal choice.

As for funny stories... i have a lebanese friend in the assembly we go to, who used to enjoy sliding down the stairs from the meeting room to the cafeteria as a little boy. One Lord's Day he didnt know his pants were ripped at the crotch, and by the time he hit the bottom of the stairs his pants were wide open. Figures that for some reason (never understood this part) he had no underwear that day. He was about 10 at the time. Three girls in their late teens saw him and pointed out to him that his junk was loose, and he quickly hid in the coat room. To this day all three of those girls are really friendly with him for some reason. I guess they feel they are in on a secret or something. Lol

One time a brother offered a Hymn to be sung, but asked that we only sing a certain few of the stanzas. After we finished them, i forgot and began the next stanza loudly, off key, and all alone. Everyone stared. I don't think ive ever been so red in my entire life.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
Im disappointed that speaking about faith is against the rules, but this is the america we now live in.

I am a Christian, a follower of Christ. My name is Christian, if thats a funny story to anyone!

I used to be Baptist but am non denominational. I attend "church services" for lack of a better term with likeminded Christians who are sometimes referred to by others as "the Brethren" or "Plymouth Brethren" or "people of the Book", although we do not take a name for ourselves. I find more value and benefit in taking no name but Christ's - this is my personal choice.

As for funny stories... i have a lebanese friend in the assembly we go to, who used to enjoy sliding down the stairs from the meeting room to the cafeteria as a little boy. One Lord's Day he didnt know his pants were ripped at the crotch, and by the time he hit the bottom of the stairs his pants were wide open. Figures that for some reason (never understood this part) he had no underwear that day. He was about 10 at the time. Three girls in their late teens saw him and pointed out to him that his junk was loose, and he quickly hid in the coat room. To this day all three of those girls are really friendly with him for some reason. I guess they feel they are in on a secret or something. Lol

One time a brother offered a Hymn to be sung, but asked that we only sing a certain few of the stanzas. After we finished them, i forgot and began the next stanza loudly, off key, and all alone. Everyone stared. I don't think ive ever been so red in my entire life.

Your 2nd story actually is funny. I can even imagine it. :*))

Offline slyguy82

• Learning the way of Sly
  • newly sly...
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »
Thank you so much everybody! I've been speaking with a few Christians, and their testimony (?) is really resonating with me.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2016, 03:25:41 AM »
I'm a Christian also, I grew up in a Christian family, but when I finished school I went my own way making a lot of really poor decisions, married and divorced, criminal record, hanging out with people who did a lot of hard drugs. I realised I was at rock bottom and went searching and eventually came back to the Christian faith, and have a great Church family that I am part of.  With the way the world going I think it's pretty important.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Enter your email address: