Author Topic: HT Patient Ready To Shave Head  (Read 3475 times)

Offline JR414

• Learning the way of Sly
HT Patient Ready To Shave Head
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »
Good morning everyone. I'm hoping for some thoughts/encouragement and maybe some similar experiences.

I began losing hair in my late 20s. I had EXTREMELY low self esteem then - not making a lot of money, no steady girl, not many friends, etc. Since I didn't want to look old even before my 30s, I got a hair transplant procedure. Over the next 12 years, I got several other small procedures. Please note I don't feel like I was suckered into this. I was going to do it, and no one was going to tell me no. So I don't blame the HT docs who performed the procedures.

Anyway. I'm 45 now and have noticed that I'm losing hair down the middle of the back of my head. This, to me, is a game changer. More procedures won't give me the look I want and eventually, I won't have enough hair to cover the scars from my procedures.

So, I think I'm ready to shave it all off, down to the skin. The only concern is, obviously the scar. It's hard for me to see, but from what I can tell, there's some redness there and the skin looks a little stretched out. It's not horrible judging from photos I've seen, but still. It'll be noticeable being as white as I am.

So my thought is that I can get a concealer like mircoskin - which is used to cover up a multitude of skin conditions - while I seek out some kind of therapy like dermabrasion or laser therapy to reduced the scar.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Or any experiences you can share? I've been devastated about this over the last few weeks and it's really all I can think about... that and how I'll look without hair. Any advice/thoughts anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: HT Patient Ready To Shave Head
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:54:18 AM »
welcome!

Im sorry to hear about the difficulty with your past and the hair loss... its never fun.

Good to hear you're encouraged to try embracing the bald look! You will find plenty of support here.

I dont know much about the scarring from HT, but I do know that there are options. If you really want to hide the scars, I would recommend checking into lotions that contain a type of makeup, which are very good at covering the skin blemishes and hiding scars or discolorations. It may be an option for you!

Offline JR414

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:00:04 AM »
Thanks Pangolin!

My self esteem is much better now. Had I started to go bald now, I'd probably just shave it or cut it very short anyway. I have a lot of great people in my life, and I'm in a much better place.

It's just that initial shock factor of not only seeing myself, but other seeing me bald. I'm using a hair building topical right now that kind of hides what's going on, so I think I'm going to get a lot of "Why did he do that? Why didn't he just cut it really short?"

Eventually, it'll just be the norm, but I'm just stressing over this part of the process right now.

I appreciate your feedback and ideas!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »
I was asked plenty of times initially and even just this past Sunday at church (by someone who hadn't seen me bald yet) "WHY??" and my simple answer is "why not?"

I like the look, I didn't like how I used to look. simple as that

my hair was thinning for the past four years or so and I got tired of fighting it with always being concerned about how my hair do was holding up and if the wind blew it or If my scalp Was showing through the front of my hair, etc. Finally I was cutting my hair one night (I always do my own) and I messed up, so I tried to trim it down closer. I realized it looked pretty good so I went even closer, and then more, and by the time I got to a 0 guard and liked it I decided to grab a disposable razor and go skin tight. I love it, so much. seriously.

I really dont care what the haters think. its not weird, its not wrong. Its socially proper. its not like I'm modifying my body to become something God didn't make me to be, I'm just cutting my hair shorter than most people do. Some won't like it, and thats fine, but I do and thats great!

I posted about the confidence aspect a few times if you look at my other posts. Im in law enforcement, and building self confidence is one of the first things we learn, as well as personality assessment and how to deal with blows to your ego... This experience really helped when it came to me wondering how people would accept me being bald. I really really love it, and every day that goes by I care less and less what anyone else thinks.

A big inspirational story for me Is how Yul Brenner (very famous actor!) shaved his head for a role in a film once, and immediately loved it so much that he never grew hair again. When he got future roles requiring hair, rather than grow his own out he wore wigs so that he cold remain bald. That was before it was even a rare option - only monks and cancer patients were bald back then.

Patrick Stewart did a similar thing in his story. Its really cool to see these famous people that made it big and use their bald head as a glory chip in the walk of life. Bruce willis, Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L Jackson, Michael Jordan, and plenty of other famous and admired men chose bald and man did it go over well for them.

Do what you like and when other see how you sincerely love yourself, they will love you too.

Offline JR414

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
Thank you again. Your support and perspective is greatly appreciated.

It’s tough because I’ve always pictured myself as having and needing hair. Now the reality of life has caught up with me and I’m slowly trying to accept the fact that it’s either this, or looking pathetic trying to hold on to my hair fruitlessly.

Like you did, I cut my own hair, and spend a great deal of time trying to hide what’s happening. It’s very stressful. I am looking forward to the days when I can jump in the shower, dry off, get dressed, and head out the door.

I’m also planning my new look and persona. I’m going to buy some new bold glasses and sport a light beard. I’m also promising myself to have a more positive and outgoing attitude. I’m a very cynical person with a dark sense of humor, which people like, but I think I can keep those aspects while being a little more outgoing and ‘jovial.’ I know that a bald person is really only ugly with a bad attitude.

Again, thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience. It really does help.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum, JR414!

First off, thanks for sharing your story. I give you big props for owning the HT decision and not trying to play the victim (I don't think any less of those who do, we all have made some decisions in life that we have had some regret over)

There are more options now than there were, say five or even ten years ago on dealing with hair loss and transplants

One option is to see a dermatologist about maybe lasering on the scar to flatten it

Another option is to get partial or complete SMP (scalp micropigmentation). Partial would be to get the scar area done (tattooing of dots looking like hair follicles) to conceal the scarred area(s). Complete SMP is to get the areas of your hair loss covered so when the result is finished, you have the look of a shaved head at the "zero" level. I had the latter done, but it wasn't due to HT, I had mine done to conceal scars from cysts and keloids.

A third option would be to go ahead and shave. Many guys with shaved heads have various scars from various injuries, incidents and whatnot, but probably at least 98% of the population won't know or won't care (The 2% who do know were probably HT clients themselves or other bald guys with keen eyes, and even they won't make a big deal out of it)

A good concealer is Dermablend. I bought some from Macy's last December for $35 and I still  have more than half the bottle (I use it occasionally to cover my SMP when I want to show a completely bald head)

You have options, friend....If you want to discuss some of this offline, feel free to PM me.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
Shaved heads are everywhere now. It seems if there are 4 or 5 guys around, one will be sly. Yes, it will take a while to get used to seeing yourself bald. Other people won't care as much as you think. When I first shaved my head, I posted a  photo on Facebook so everyone saw it and almost every comment was positive.

Can't help you with the scarring issues as I'm bald by choice, but sporting a shaved head is a great hairstyle, and very accepted these days. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
I don't know anything about the HT side of stuff, but I do have scars on my head but most people don't notice, and 99% of people who do don't care, but I definitely think your idea for a beard goes great with a shaved head (I started off going for a light one, then I just decided to leave it, now I go the full bush-ranger!). and the shaved head is really common now as reddog said, just last weekend I was with a cycling group and when we were having our cafe break, I realised that out of 10 of us at the table 5 were shaved (3 were women) so only 2 non-shaved male heads!

Welcome mate!
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!