Author Topic: DE Technique Question  (Read 3823 times)

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
DE Technique Question
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
I have read that the most common technique is WTG, followed by XTG, and finally ATG. I was wondering if anyone just starts with ATG? Particularly if you have minamal growth, like if you shave everyday. Just curious, as it would seem to save a lot of time.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: DE Technique Question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
I shave everyday, so I start with my electric shaver on the sides and back only. I use a pre-electric lotion. I usually do this while watching the morning news. Then after I shower, I use shaving soap and brush, and shave in front of the sink. I shave my entire head against the grain. There are always a couple of stubborn spots, so I run over them with a Schick Extreme 3 disposable.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
I shave everyday and I start at my temples and shave from front to back, then the crown... Front to back and the back from bottom to top. So for me it's across the grain and against the grain only, the whatever is required for cleanup.

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
thanks for the responses. It makes sense to me. I'm gonna try it and see how it goes.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
In terms of what is considered the standard (especially with a de) multiple passes promote reduction instead of removal.  But it still is a very personal thing.  Some people have terrible irritation from a single atg pass while others have terrible irritation from multiple passes in general.  What used to take me 3-4 passes with my atx are now basically 1 mixed pass (combo of wtg and xtg depending on the area of my head) and a quick atg clean up pass over the whole thing with my de
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:25:45 AM »
I tried the same thing, but with a combo xtg and atg. Seemed to work fairly well this am. I'm learning that my grain direction is all over the place.