Author Topic: shave while camping?  (Read 5794 times)

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
shave while camping?
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
So, im planninga camping trip soon, the first since becoming bbc, and wonder if anyone has any advice for me?  As pertains to shaving obviously. Should i just let it go while im on this trip, or is there something somebody can suggest for me to maintain my bald scalp without any adverse effects from doing it in the great outdoors?  Normally a daily shaver here, i cannot stand even the little bit of stubble that grows throughout the day.

Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: shave while camping?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
I guess it depends upon how long your camping trip is going to be. If it's just a weekend, I'd just let it go and shave when you come back. Sorta like the guy who does not shave his beard while on vacation.  When you come back you take care of it.

If it's going to be an extended camping trip, you may want to shave along the way. Guess, too, it depends if you are backpacking or at an established campground. I've camped at an established campground with showers and sinks and such. easy to shave there. If backpacking, maybe not.

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
It may depend on a couple of things.  First, will you be able to heat water?  I hate shaving with cold water.  Second, can you shave without a mirror?  If you can meet those to "requirements" then you should be able to keep your dome smooth.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
Something to think about while camping...You may want to keep your head covered, shaved or not, especially when dealing with mosquitoes...Mosquito bites suck on a bald head. Good luck and enjoy!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
If it's an extended trip, I'd look at a battery powered or rechargeable electric shaver to use every couple of days.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »
If I were camping, I would do what Tyler suggested, and bring my electric with. I can get 2 good headshaves out of it before needing a charge.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:24 AM »
Only going to be for a couple days, and though will be at an established campsite,  theres no facilities other than a latrine style toilet. Assuming that is that i can get into the site i want. Plan on going to northern arizona, the mogollon rim area where theres lots of free campsites, the one i have in mind i visited last oct, just before it got too cold in the area to camp, and even then, there were several other campers there, mostly in travel trailers whereas i was in a tent, but u get the point

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:44 AM »
A lot of variables here.  I went camping for 4 nights 2 weeks ago and brought along my atx with a few extra carts, small can of barbasol, witch hazel in a small spray bottle, and a small bottle of after shave.  Now I was at a KoA and had easy access to a shower, sink, and toilet. You can always combine your witch hazel and after shave in one spray bottle to reduce steps and packing items and swap out whatever you lather with for a bottle of shave secret oil.  If I were actually camping for real I wouldn't bother with an actual head shave by blade.  If it was 2 days or less I would just shave the morning of before leaving, if it's 2 days + then I would probably just bring a cheap electric foil shaver so I can keep it close without the hassle.  You can go to walmart and get the low end rechargeable remington foil shaver for like $15-$20.  It's not the best out there but it works just fine for the price and will keep your head smooth enough for these situations.  It's also great to have as a travel back up so you don't have to hog the bathroom and water at a friend/family members house as well as can shave on a plane/bus if needed.  I'm not a huge fan of the electrics but honestly it's a great idea to have one around.  If it helps I'm also BBC with very thick coarse curly hair, to the point that I could shave twice a day to stay mostly smooth and this works fine for me when I need it.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Its only going to be a short trip, 3 days and 2 nights, including travel time. The spot i want to camp is only about a 2 hour drive for me, so that should give me plenty of time relaxing and getting in tune with nature. As for what to do about shaving, my significant other and i share an electric when needed (he is not sly, usually only uses the clipper attachment to trim up his facial hair in preparation to shave, as what he likes to do is let it grow out until it bothers him then shave smooth), so i think ill take that along and use the foil shaver attachment

Offline just4fun

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »
If it's not an extended camping, I won't mind about shaving. I would be more worried about what equipment I should bring with me, like tent, stove or if the place is safe etc. I can shave when I get back home anyway.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »
I'm sure you've already gone camping, but I figured I'd add to this thread.  I'm about to post a review on Bold for Men waterless shave gel. This would be very handy to use while camping.  You can see other reviews on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2g5LDMv
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.