Author Topic: One earring...or two?  (Read 71354 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
One earring...or two?
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity...how many of you guys have your ear pierced? If so do you have only one (presumably left) or both pierced? hoop rings or studs? A friend says that a man can wear studs in both ears, but a hoop belongs in the left ear only...he also said that a man should NEVER have the right ear only pierced/with an earring....I don't know if this was brought up previously, but I'm contemplating getting a piercing once my military career is over....Thoughts?

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
Re: One earring...or two?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
I have 3 (2 in the left, 1 in the right), but haven't worn them much in the past year.

Ironically, I was more excited about them when I was in the military and now that I'm out...not so much.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
I've heard the LEFT ear if you only have one, but that's the ear I always use when talking on the phone. I don't think that I would like that.

This has turned out to be a moot point, as you can see that I have a left earring! now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:08:22 PM by mrzed »

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
I don't think it really matters anymore, I remember toward the end of high school over 20 years ago that being "the rule"...

Back then having one in your left meant you were straight.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »
Thankfully, that gay/straight labeling is passé.

I had one (a 10g bent barbell) back in the mid-90's. The hole got infected so I let it close up. I had originally planned to have the other ear done as well.

I really like the look of two bent barbells or heavy hoops on guys.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
right ear pierced twice, left one once, I pierced them back in 1988 when it was "gay" to have only the right one pierced. I hadn't worn any in years but about 4 months ago decided to gauge them. I don't wear anything in the second one of the right ear, but now have 6 gauges in both ears and have studs in both. (see my gauging thread).

Further, I don't think it doesn't matter which ear or how many times they are pierced.
AKA Gimpy

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
I personally like the symmetry of having both ears pierced.  I really liked the look of heavy captive ball rings like I had in this pictures.

Like tattoos piercing can get addictive.  I now have stretched to 00ga (about 10mm or 3/8 inch) and wear black silicone tunnels.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I had three segments in my left ear about a year ago.  I made it up to #2 guage.  However, heavy rings tend to stretch the lobe. I can't see me dragging  the loops on the floor, so I took them out for now.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »
I don't read too much into the "right ear only means you're gay thing" In fact, I'm amazed at how everyone accepts everyone on this site! Getting back to topic, as I said earlier one of my personal favorites would have to be a hoop in the left ear a la Mr. Clean
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
I got my left ear pierced at 10g in October 2010.  I liked it a lot, and then I got my right ear pierced in January 2011.  I liked that even better.  Like Red said, the symmetry of having both ears pierced looks nice.

Since then I've stretched my piercings to a 4g and wear metal tunnels or blue stone plugs.  
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
Hey Red,

The earrings look great on you. I like the symmetry of having one on both sides.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:28:24 AM »
I have 3 (2 in the left, 1 in the right).

Same here. I normally wear a captive ball in the lower piercing in the left ear, occasionally another in the right. I haven't worn 3 in quite a while.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »
One piercing; left.

Sometimes a stud (small diamond), sometimes a small hoop, sometimes a captive ball.  Sometimes nothing.  My most recent picture is w/o any earring, but I have just put back the captive ball--out too long, and the somewhat shrunken hole made insertion a struggle, but the thing's in and I'll probably leave it for a month or so.

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
Currently only my right earlobe is pierced, I never gave any thought to it about the right ear being the 'gay' ear (well, I am anyway, so it doesn't really matter). I just chose that side for 'balancing out' my piercings because I also have 2 piercings through my left clavicle. Currently wearing a small black earplug (5mm stretch).

Since shaving my head I've been thinking about getting my left ear pierced, too. Right now my face seems kind of asymmetric due to the earplug drawing all the attention to my right earlobe.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 06:11:32 AM »
I have both lobes pierced, now at 6 mm. The rings, as seen in my avatar, are really heavy. The left ear hurts a bit after a few hours of wearing so I would wear them for special occasions only. For everyday use I got silicone tunnels (in silver) based on Red's recommendation in another thread.
Ach du meine Nase!