Author Topic: Something to think about.  (Read 27332 times)

Slynito

Re: Something to think about.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »
Allergic to alcohol? What are your symptoms to that beside yelling, cussing and gettin' naked?

:*))

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
Allergic to alcohol? What are your symptoms to that beside yelling, cussing and gettin' naked?

Red rashes, chills, itching and palpitation.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Slynito

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 07:26:27 PM »

Red rashes, chills, itching and palpitation.

Wow, I never heard of that before...it's good that you recognized it and stay away from it.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
I'm allergic too, know how you feel Kalbo!

Offline ElecEngineer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
Being a firefighter for many years, I've seen the aftermath of these accidents. It's very rare that the person who decided to drink is the one injured, and most times it's innocent people who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. But the ones that always turn my stomach the most are the ones where the parents are the ones drinking then go driving with their children. I cannot understand how a mother or father can knowingly put their child in a car when they've been drinking

Slynito

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
I know what you mean, "EE". I have a neighbor I talked/lectured for years before he woke up...I asked him how would he feel if he was a widow and his kids were dead? I don't know if what I said helped, but...

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »
CAuse And  Effect , But it is a  good law and  has protected  him and will protect him and others in the future  , he could have lost his life . I NEVER drink any alcohol if I am  driving  even the night before .

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
   It sounds so simple...........don't drink and drive. Yet every year,there are far too many deaths or injuries from this. I agree that driving drunk is FAR more dangerous to society than guns and the numbers prove it.  Your friend will lose a lot BUT............he didn't lose his life or kill somebody.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
   It sounds so simple...........don't drink and drive. Yet every year,there are far too many deaths or injuries from this. I agree that driving drunk is FAR more dangerous to society than guns and the numbers prove it.  Your friend will lose a lot BUT............he didn't lose his life or kill somebody.
O0 How very true. 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
I had an Aunt killed by a drunk driver when my cousins were 8 and 12 back in the early 60's. Laws were abysmal and the person got off totally. What remained were shattered lives and trauma which to this day is fresh and raw when I hear of anyone doing this. Be safe and use good sense.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
How true.  I am glad the laws and the attention is being made to those who drive drunk.  There are so many rides that those who drink can get or the can have a DD .  I do have some problems with the court systems , that many have been arrested found guilty , and are out doing the same thing drinking and driving.  I have taken keys away from friends and gotten into fights, also paid for the trip home in cabs. 

The thing that people have to ask themselves before this happens !  You aren't that lucky  ;)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ! O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
In 1977 I was involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. I was driving a squad car and my training officer was seated on the passenger side. We both survived the crash but spent some time in the hospital as a result. He did no jail time.
He later killed a guy in a drunk driving crash but that occurred prior to the enactment of the reckless homicide charge in Illinois so he did no jail time.
Sometime later he was boating on the Chain O' Lakes along the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. He drove his boat over another boat and decapitated the other boat's driver. At that time there was no DUI law for boating. He did no jail time.
He finally got into another head-on collision in McHenry County Illinois with a car containing a mom, dad, and 2 young kids. The mom and dad were killed along with one of the kids. He finally went to prison.
In spite of all that I continued to drink for another 13 years, driving the whole time. It was just blind, dumb luck that I never repeated what happened to me and his other victims. I have to confess to not having the slightest idea as to how to reduce the number of drunk drivers and alcohol related deaths on the roads. It doesn't appear that anything works. Drunks get sober for the long term when they realize the need for sobriety. Everything else merely forestalls the inevitable.
On average treatment facilities achieve success with one out of 28 patients. By that I mean that one person out of 28 achieves one year of sobriety after completion of a 28 day residential program. People who are court ordered into AA many times head straight for the tavern from a meeting and then drive home.
I wish I knew the answer to this problem.  

What a terrible story!

Of course there is no complete answer but in many countries including here in Australia they have Random Breath Testing [RBT] where the police stop cars at random and breath test the drivers for alcohol. This put a lot of people off drink driving. In some Australian states at the same time they also saliva test for some drugs like cannabis, speed and narcotics.

On TV here I get the US show called "Cops" which I am sure everyone is familiar with. I see that least in some states there they still use the antiquated "sobriety test" where the driver has to walk a straight line etc.. This seems to be a very inefficient way to test [also very slow for the cops] and I don't think it is applied randomly which might lead people to think "If I just drive properly and obey all the road-rules I'll get away with it". If they knew that they could be stopped at random and breath tested then at least some of them might think differently.

I suspect though that the US legal system might consider RBT to be an infringement of peoples' rights. Does anywhere in the US have RBT or something like it? I can only go by what I see on "Cops".

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
I stopped drinking a few years back but even when I did you couldn't have paid me a million dollars to get behind the wheel after a single drink.  Just too much risk and not worth it in my mind.

It helps living in NYC so I don't even own a car anymore and even if I got a wild idea and went out and got blitzed I would take a cab or subway home.

I am SHOCKED at how often my friends from back home (midwest) drink and drive -- like seriously drunkenly drive.  A few have told me they are "Good" drunk drivers.  One friend racked up 12 DUIs in 3 years before she was inevitably killed by her own drinking (what got me to just stop altogether).   

I am glad the laws are tougher and tougher.  I feel irresponsible enough when I drive tired, operating a couple of tons of machinery drunk? 

I have only been in one car accident but I suspect the other driver was still drunk/hungover.  He ran a red light going 45 mph while I was turning left on green.  But since it was 8 am, I was only 19 and the other driver was a respectable businessman, no breath tests were taken and no tickets were written.  In fact the cop yelled at me for "not assuming someone's gonna run a red."  Grrrrr.   Thank god my car was totalled but the seatbelts and airbags did their jobs admirably and the worst injury was a chin bruise from me from the airbag hitting me in the face.  :)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
I have to admit, back in my younger, dumber daze I was behind the wheel a time or two when I shouldn't have been.  Only by the grace of God did I not injure myself or anyone else.  Luckily I am one who learns by others mistakes also so I got "scared straight" by watching friends go through the DUI horrors.  I wont have even ONE drink and drive now....
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline DSCSK

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »
Reading this thread has only made me think that I took a good decision by promising myself that I would never drink alcohol ever in my life.

I don't have anything against people who enjoy drinking or people who drink safely. This is just a decision that I have taken.