Author Topic: Folliculitis / Seborrheic Dermatitis  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Brettzky

• Learning the way of Sly
Folliculitis / Seborrheic Dermatitis
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
Alright guys, thinking about shaving my head.  Hair has been thinning on top for the past few years anyhow, and the back of my head keeps getting folliculitis and sometimes dermatitis.  Any recommendations for what to use with a sensitive scalp.  Anyone who can reaffirm that it helped their case of folliculitis or SD, it would be most appreciated for my confidence.

Thanks Sly-friends,

Brettzky

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Folliculitis / Seborrheic Dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »
Not sure if my folliculitis is the same as yours, but years of suffering ended within 3 days of my first headshave. If I go more than a few days without shaving, it comes back.

I discussed this with my doctor, and he said we could try antibiotics long term. I didn't want to do that, so he said I could just keep shaving my head, and that it looked good on me.

Next week I have my first appointment with a dermatologist for a suspicious mole, so I will stop shaving soon so I can show her the issue.

Sound like you want to try a headshave, so you will soon see if it helps. I found shaving soap with a safety razor works best. And cold water rinse then some witch hazel works best for me.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
Welcome friend.

I have SD and get mainly in the crown of my scalp. I also suffer from the dreaded T-Zone on my face and will also get it around my nose and under my moustache and facial hair. It sucks big time.

I have used a plethora of creams, soaps and even Clobex which is a steroid prescribed by your Dermatologist.

My current regimen that I use is the following:

-Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Body Wash for both shaving and shampooing.
Reasons: It contains Shea butter which is high in Vitamin A
Also contains Coconut Oil and Frankincense and Myrrh which is supposedly anti-inflammatory.

-Biom8 Skin Conditioning Oil
Reasons: This was formulated by a gentleman in Canada that also suffers from SD. He made this product specifically for people like us. I also use this in my hair afterwards.

Razors:
I have used a lot of razors. Including the highly recommended standard classic The Double Edge Safety Razor. As great as one blade is I have found that even with one blade my skin still gets irritated and because I don't shave everyday mostly due to time constraints, not only does it take longer but I have to plow through the same area to maintain smoothness so I have gone back to Gillette for the time being and use the Proglide Proshield.

Here is the list of razors I have used:
-Gillette Fusion
-Gillette Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo. The Turbo seemed less pull and tug.
-Gillette Guard
-Schick Hydro 5
-Schick Xtreme 3
-Headblade ATX and Headblade MOTO. I preferred the ATX.
-Maggard Razors MR1 and MR3 Handle with V2 and V3 heads

Prep:

I usually shave before I shower since I feel less clean doing so afterwards.

-Warm washcloth to stimulate the skin and begin shave.
-Apply a pre-shave oil and rub upwards into the scalp.
-Reapply hot washcloth again to head and rub in.
-Use preferred shaving soap or cream here and apply to one area of the scalp.
--I tend to shave in sections both WTG and ATG.
-Wet the razor blade and begin.
-After shaving I disinfect my blades and put them away.
-I apply a cold ice cube (per SirHarry) and rub it into the scalp. I find this works better than simply splashing water unto the skin.
-I then apply Gentleman Jon's Alum Block all over the scalp.
-Shower.
-I apply Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel.

NOTE: I have great shave sessions with barely any irritation and then sometimes horrible. I would like to say it is due to just my skins decision that day as I have used old school shaving brush and soaps with DE razors and still managed to receive major irritation and then have used a Gillette Guard with Nivea for Men Shave Gel and barely any. Then I could use the same products I used last time that didn't give me any irritation and boom I get redness. It depends on the growth I would imagine...

Either way I hope this helps in some way.

Best of luck!

-J

Offline Brettzky

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
Thanks so much to you both.  Reddog, do you mainly get the folliculitis on the back and sides of your head when you let your hair grow?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »
Yes, mainly in the back near the crown, some on the sides, and seldom on top. Also, never on my face. I'm thinking it's where I have alot of sweat glands.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Welcome!

If I wait longer than five days, I get a few breakouts on the back of my head right below the cranium. Once I shave, it clears up within a day. You may be one of those people who may have to shave it every two to three days. Best of luck
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
Probably worth a try, though it didn't help me much.  If you can save up the money, laser is a good option.