Author Topic: Washing Your Dome  (Read 12712 times)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Washing Your Dome
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
This may seem like a stupid rookie question, so please don't throw tomatoes at me but I'm curious, what do you all use to wash your bald head?  Still using shampoo?  Regular bar soap?  Face cleanser? Body wash?  etc.

I ask this because I myself still use shampoo, but had run out this morning and had to use my Cetaphil face cleanser to wash my head before shaving it.  I never really gave it much thought until this morning.  I had always continued to use shampoo when I started shaving my head.  First, I continued to use the Bosley Hair System shampoo that I had been using when I had hair.  When that ran out, I went and bought the cheaper brand shampoos like Herbal Essence. 

So it got me wondering, does it really matter what we wash our head with at this point since there's not really much hair?  Is is a good shampoo necessary to soften the hairs before we apply the cream to shave it.

Like I said, sounds rookie doesn't it?

My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Washing Your Dome
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
Bar soap for me, but I exfoliate once a week with apricot scrub. You can add some sugar to the scrub for extra oomph.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I treat my face like I treat my dome.  Depending on mood... I wash it with either Noxzema, Men's Nivea Facial Wash, or Men's Neutrogenia Facial Wash.  Like Reddog... I also exfoliate my skin with an apricot scrub once a week.  Kindly keep us posted on what you decide.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
Ordinary bar soap here plus I exfoliate once or twice a week. More if it looks or feels necessary.
Hair is over rated.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
I should note that I used the shampoo to wash my beard as well.

I did try exfoliating my face once when I was younger but that only stuck for about a month or two.  I've never done that to the head.  Does it really help?
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
It seems to. In my case it seems to leave my skin feeling softer and more supple in addition to helping shed the dead skin.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
Days I shave=Bee Bald Scrub
Days I don't=Noxzema
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
I use whatever's at hand in the shower: bar soap, body wash, whatever. Now that I have a beard, i shampoo it and then just move up to my head with the shampoo.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
I use a knockoff brand of Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub. I've used that for years on my face and now on my head to exfoliate every morning. About once a week, I'll shampoo my head.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »
Oxy benzoyl peroxide wash twice a day with an occasional exfoliating wash.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »
I still prefer to use shampoo, partly because I have a beard and feel I should be shampooing the hair there.  But I swear I've read that shampoo is better for your scalp skin then regular soap or bodywash.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
I don't have any preferences either. I use whatever is in the shower.... Body wash, bar soap, or aveeno daily scrub. I will use shampoo if I skipped shaving for a few days.

Like tobler1, I have also heard that shampoo is better for the scalp and doesn't clog pools like regular bar soap.

I think scrub is good for those hot sweaty summer days. scrub is geat  for removing dead skin which helps to even out skin tone.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »
While in the shower, I apply a very small amount of Lucky Tiger Face Wash to a wet cheap synthetic shaving brush (like those that are in the cheap drug store shaving kits).  Then to my wet scalp, I lather up the Face Wash on my scalp and face.  Again, it only takes a scant amount of product applied directly to the brush to lather up the entire area.

If I'm going to shave, then I don't bother trying to rinse it completely off, thereby letting it act as a pre-shave lotion of sorts.  Otherwise, I rinse it completely.  This product rinses easier than shampoo.  I can't speak more highly of Lucky Tiger.  It has made a huge difference in my skin quality.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
I don't have any preferences either. I use whatever is in the shower.... Body wash, bar soap, or aveeno daily scrub. I will use shampoo if I skipped shaving for a few days.

Like tobler1, I have also heard that shampoo is better for the scalp and doesn't clog pools like regular bar soap.

I think scrub is good for those hot sweaty summer days. scrub is geat  for removing dead skin which helps to even out skin tone.

Go Eagles!

Shampoo is probably fine, but if you have any skin problems at all, I would stay away from any type of bar soap, even Neutrogena.  Even the ones marketed as non-comedegenic must use something to bind the soap together in bar form.  It's that binding agent that can contribute to clogged pores.

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
Ok, not something you think of.. I use Dawn dish washing liquid its cheap, cleans no oil residue and since using it no redness. They use this on animals in oil spills seems to work for me too.
shine and share