Author Topic: Winter  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
Winter
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »
Well, I'm in London where I live, and it's really bloody cold!

I don't tend to wear hats these days, and as a consequence, I'm really feeling this snowy winter! Even my ears are tingling from the cold!

Now, this may sound like I'm having a moan, but I'm not! I like the feel of things on my head now! Be it rain, cold, snow, or the sun in the summer!

So I guess the point of this post is... although I should be protecting my head, I'm rather enjoying not at the moment :)

(I'm sure I'll wear a hat next year though!)

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
Re: Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:02:21 AM »
I have to agree I don't like wearing hats at all but sometimes I have to especially now that it is 29 at out because my ears always get cold and can't stand that they do oh well they have always been like this so it is just something to deal with. Hope you don't freeze O0

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:35:05 AM »
Well, but depends upon how long you have to be outside, too. If it is just from the house to the car, then car to the office/store it's not bad.

But if you have to wait for the train or bus or have a long walk? Perhaps your at the winter farmer's market for 2 hours out in the cold. Better wear a hat.

For brief outings, I like the cold on my head, raindrops or snowflakes on my bald head.  (well, we've not had significant snow for two years now ... so I'm somewhat speculating on that).

Today is supposed to be 11 hours of ice pellets! Wonder what that will feel like.

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »
11 hours of ice pellets!!!

I'd certainly be going for a hat! (Or just stay inside...). Stay warm over there...

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »
It hasn't been above 22 degrees F in days here. My flat top, fleece lined, Harley cap has gotten a workout.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:22 AM »
Others have mentioned it so here's a bit more information on the cold ear problem.

Ever notice that skiers who may go without a helmet, a cap or a hat, do cover their ears? That's because the tissue in the ear is very delicate and one of the few places on the body that is exposed to the weather on both sides. Even on a sunny, cold day they will turn painful after exposure, add wind, and you're in for considerable pain and the very real risk of damage. Moreso if you have earrings that transmits cold to the inner tissue. An old fashioned "Ear Brassiere" is almost mandatory, even if you're wearing a hat. And, preferably, that hat is a cap of the knitted variety, nothing really beats the Navy watch caps as they cover the head as well as the ears. (Also you can turn up the edge and have a storage space for...thinks that you'd like to store.)

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
I live in California and my head gets cold in the winter. Hats and beanies for the win - plus we never have hat hair!

Only issue is hats don't cover my ears!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Yes, it's winter here in North Carolina.  Was 70 something today. Daffodils are blooming already.

The maple trees will be blooming shortly.

I only wear a hat IF I'm going to be out for some time. If it's just a quick walk to the car or to take the garbage out, no hat.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
I live in California and my head gets cold in the winter. Hats and beanies for the win - plus we never have hat hair!

Only issue is hats don't cover my ears!

How cold does it get in California?... Like, 50 degrees?

benlen

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »

Hahahaaha! You'd be surprised though dude, parts of California are hot as hell and then the mountains are chilly. And the north of the state loves its mists, rains, and damps.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »

Hahahaaha! You'd be surprised though dude, parts of California are hot as hell and then the mountains are chilly. And the north of the state loves its mists, rains, and damps.

Cold is a relative term. We're definitely not midwest cold, but it can get near zero in the mountains in the winter. At night, we've been near freezing in my area during December & January.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

I was trying to be nice and not discount weather extremes there...
I knew it was warm, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Here, the weather changes every five minutes, and there was just a wierd, major warm front of about 50 degrees, after a week of around 5-10 degrees, and a very cold winter besides. Which I like. I would die in California, way too hot. Heat has never, never been my friend, especially here where the humidity gets absolutely horrifiying at summer. I like it at a nice temperature somewhere in between 0 to 15 degrees. Of course, 50 can be nice. When it's raining.

Don't tell me you guys in California wear sherpas or hoodies during winter...

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »
The key for me this winter has been to have several hats and beanies around. I find that I never used to wear a hat much and now BBC have to making me actually warmer than I used to be. Bought a Headblade Thug Beanie which is lightweight but fine when our New England winter moderates. To be honest I can't wait to be hatless again and feel the air on my shaved dome.

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Down here in windy cold Devon I keep a beanie in my coat pocket when I go out just in case my head starts to go numb from the cold. I've been pleasantly surprised though, even with snow on the ground my head doesn't feel all that cold!

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
Adamski1972, is my memory really all that bad, or is that a new look you've got going for you in your Avatar?
Either way you're a natural for the Sly look.