Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 9637 times)

Accepted

Cycling
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
Hey guys,
               I'm not Dutch but I live in Holland... and if there's one thing dutch people do, it's cycle.. no matter what the distance or weather, dutch people love cycling... and I've grown to love it too.. but here's something I just couldn't get over the other day

So I went cycling and it was moderately windy and I really should have but just couldn;t enjoy the ride.. why??

well the thinning hair on my crown just kept flyinmg up and it looked pathetic (for lack of a better word).. and my hair isn't even too long... I was getting so irritated and all I could think about was shaving it all off so I can finally be stress free!!

well i'm still in University and will shave it off upon graduating... but yeah basically I cant wait, thanks again for the forum...

what i'm trying to say is... being able to do everything stress free and especially enjoy cycling is a HUGEEE advantage!! :):)

anyone else experience this??

Offline ycartt

• Sly
Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
I always wear a helmet because that's the safe thing to do when cycling. So if you wear why then there shouldn't be any hair flapping.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:10 AM »
Y cartt is right , years ago i was cycling and sly wearin a helmet went over the handlbars the helet saved my bald head and its contents

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
I lived in Holland for a couple years and you're right - cycling is a major means of transportation.  I thoroughly enjoyed cycling through the dunes along the coast and around the towns an villages.  Interesting that the Dutch still don't wear helmets when cycling.  When I lived there I noticed what seemed like contradictory laws, for example, it was mandatory for the driver and front seat passenger in a car to wear seat belts, but many cars didn't even come equipped with other safety measures like head restraints or rear seat belts.

One huge advantage of being sly is that you never worry about hair - the wind doesn't matter and there's no such thing as "hat hair" (or "helmet hair") in this case.  Consider shaving your head while still in university - you'll like it and you'll have more time to adjust to the look and freedom associated with a completely smooth dome.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
Best bet would be to shave and wear a helmet.  8)

Offline SuperGreg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
I cycle a lot, both for exercise and commuting to work (~14 miles each way).  One thing I hate about it, since I always wear a helmet, is how bad my hair looks after I take the helmet off.  One of the list of many things that made me finally decide to shave my head tonight! 

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
I cycle a lot, both for exercise and commuting to work (~14 miles each way).  One thing I hate about it, since I always wear a helmet, is how bad my hair looks after I take the helmet off.  One of the list of many things that made me finally decide to shave my head tonight! 

14 miles each way ? I'm impressed. My commute is only 11 miles round trip - through streets of London, UK. Mind you, there's a bit of 'scenery' along the way like Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and a daily glimpse of Buckingham Palace.

So are you now living the sly dream ?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
I have cycled to work, but more often moped. It's 11 miles RT on COUNTRY roads. NO shoulders. RUDE impatient vehicle drivers.  They are less rude with the moped. It's dangerous on a standard bike.  The line at the edge of the road is right on the edge of the pavement. Then grass for gravel. It would through you on a bike.  Sometimes the asphalt is even eroded back into the road surface, so the line is OFF the road! 

Speed limit on these roads is 55 mph, so the cars pass you VERY fast.   

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
Riding a moped on a highway with a speed limit of 55 is not a safe or sane means of travel.  They can't be used legally in the cycle lane if one is available and they are a hazard to themselves and to other traffic that is moving at the legal rate of speed in the regular lanes.  People aren't rude when they are within the speed limit.  Taking a machine on the road that it isn't designed for is rude.  This assumes you have not modified the moped to exceed 30-35 mph, their design speed.  Consider a motorcycle for this kind of travel, it has the power, speed and weight and has been designed for the purpose.     
Cycling on these roads is also questionable at best unless a cycling lane has been provided.  Fortunately many areas are now including a cycling lane for bicycles. 

Offline SuperGreg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »

14 miles each way ? I'm impressed. My commute is only 11 miles round trip - through streets of London, UK. Mind you, there's a bit of 'scenery' along the way like Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and a daily glimpse of Buckingham Palace.

So are you now living the sly dream ?

Yes plus hills... but I don't do it every day.  And yes, fully sly now!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:54:52 AM »
Riding a moped on a highway with a speed limit of 55 is not a safe or sane means of travel.  They can't be used legally in the cycle lane if one is available and they are a hazard to themselves and to other traffic that is moving at the legal rate of speed in the regular lanes.  People aren't rude when they are within the speed limit.  Taking a machine on the road that it isn't designed for is rude.  This assumes you have not modified the moped to exceed 30-35 mph, their design speed.  Consider a motorcycle for this kind of travel, it has the power, speed and weight and has been designed for the purpose.     
Cycling on these roads is also questionable at best unless a cycling lane has been provided.  Fortunately many areas are now including a cycling lane for bicycles. 

My point is that people are not rude to me when I ride the moped on these roads. People ARE rude when bicyclers ride on these roads.  These are the only local roads. They are 'country' roads.

If I see a pile up behind me, I pull over in a driveway and let them pass.

It is legal to ride anything on these roads.  It's illegal to ride any cycle (moped or bicycle) on a road posted minimum speed 40 mph.  I don't ride there. These are usually four lane roads.

It is rude when the vehicle is doing 80 in a 55 miles zone, two lane road. Yes, they drive that way.

Offline yelloboy32

• Sly Jr.
  • Don't talk about it, Be about it
    • Williams On Sports
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
I cycle around 80-100 miles a week, 3-4 days depending on my travel schedule and always wear a helmet.

Having a shaved head is an advantage wearing a helmet. My super low cut prior always seemed to catch on the inside of the helmet at times. 
"Success is a journey, not a destination...the doing is more important than the outcome". -Arthur Ashe

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
Rode 10-12 miles the other day...alot cooler w/out the hair.  O0 8)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Free at Last

• Head up Eye to Eye
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:41 PM »
I ride bicycle and motorcycle.
It's been that way all my life.
Riding with or without a helmet is your preference.
My experience has shown that the bicycle goes down first.
Its definitely more dangerous than riding my Roadking.
I always wear a helmet when peddling or Dirt Bike riding
I know people who who's lightweight bicycles have literary broke into pieces when they fell.
I have been more hurt from bicycles by far when compared to motorcycles

Riding sly has proven to be Highly Efficient though
The Truth Shall Set You Free

Offline Mikemc411

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Rode 10-12 miles the other day...alot cooler w/out the hair.  O0 8)

I noticed that also... seems like the bald head seems to be a good radiator to dissipate heat when you have some good airflow..!!

Enter your email address: