Author Topic: Here Again and Still Stressing  (Read 5599 times)

Offline stonecoldsteveaustin

• Learning the way of Sly
Here Again and Still Stressing
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »
Hey guys, I posted on here a few months ago with a couple pics of my hair, and I did get a hair cut after that but nothing extreme (hair loss wasn't that bad at the time hahaha). But since then it seems that the hair loss has been progressing a good amount. My temples are shot, and my hairline has receded a great deal. Idk about you guys, but the hair loss has pretty much consumed my life. There isn't a single day that goes by where I'm not reminded of it for example when I wake up I find hairs on my pillow, and showers are the worst! After shampooing my hair I feel so defeated every time. I've talked to my mom and my girlfriend about the whole thing and my girlfriend thinks that I would be liberated in a sense if I decided to cut it all off with no guard clippers, but when I asked my family what they thought I should do (whether to shave it or not) they always tell me don't do it. I am so self conscious that my forehead/head is very long, and that I will not look good at all without any hair (as it makes my head look smaller when I do have hair lol). But I really want your honest opinions on the subject because I am only 20 (turning 21 in two weeks!) and I honestly just don't want to feel depressed about it anymore. There is one part of me that really wants to just chop it all off and feel liberated, but then theres another part of my that thinks that cutting it all off will be a mistake and I won't look attractive anymore. The one bright light at the end of the tunnel is that my girlfriend said that she loves me either way and that my hair does not define me, but it's still hard ya know? Thanks so much for even taking the time to read this, I really appreciate anything you guys say to help me because I honestly don't want another mental breakdown lol.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:27:22 PM by stonecoldsteveaustin »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Here Again and Still Stressing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 05:43:56 PM »
There's no need for you to do anything drastic at this point.  Buzz your hair to a length you are comfortable with.  Then at some point in the future when the recession worsens and you're feeling brave, take it down a little shorter.  The beauty of this approach is that each time you go shorter you are only about a week away from growing back to the previous length, so there's no great risk involved.

The hair loss may seem like a lot to you right now, but it is actually not that significant. Also, MPB usually progresses very slowly.  My hair was in a similar state to yours when I was your age and I thought I'd be bald in a matter of months. I didn't actually start shaving my head on a regular basis until I was 35.

I hope this helps.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »
In agreement:  don't stress as you have lots of hair left to fuss over.  Go progressively shorter.  You want something military, then do a very short High-N-Tight or just a very short taper or medium crew cut.  You have plenty of hair and years left to enjoy.  Genetic balding is not the same even with siblings/family members, so enjoy the hair and play around with different styles and quit stressing.  SILLY STRESS CAUSES BALDNESS ....

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
My friends are right - just do a short buzz and stop worrying about hair loss.  Unless you have some undiagnosed disease, which I doubt is the case, you still have plenty of hair and more importantly you have plenty of life ahead of you.  A short buzz will look good on you.

You've got a girlfriend who seems to care for you as a person, not a head of hair.  If she can see the good person you are, you should be able to as well. 

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:51:31 AM »
I would go with short buzz.  become liberated - you have come of age to assert yourself.  buzzed hair or shaved is now quite common also.  incidentally I live in the Austin area.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »
Hair is just not worth getting so stressed about, and you aren't receding that much. It sounds to me that you want to make a change, so go for it. You will find out that nobody really cares about your hair, just you. You won't stop obsessing over it until you do it. I would just make the leap and shave it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline stonecoldsteveaustin

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »
Thanks for all the support guys, I am going to wait till my girlfriend gets back from vacation next Saturday and then take the plunge. She even said she would do it for me! Hahahah thanks again guys you are a really great support system and I can't thank you enough

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
Don't stress over it.  If you don't like it (and I think you will), it grows back.  Remember the old saying, "The difference in a good haircut and a bad haircut is a weekend"!

Thanks for all the support guys, I am going to wait till my girlfriend gets back from vacation next Saturday and then take the plunge. She even said she would do it for me! Hahahah thanks again guys you are a really great support system and I can't thank you enough
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
I agree... stop stressing. You don't really have a very advanced stage of hair loss from what I can see.

You look fine.

I would just leave it all as it is.

Steve

Offline USA man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:42:36 AM »
You're lucky to have a girlfriend like that. My most recent ex was so anti buzzcuts/baldness/etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:45:36 AM by USA man »

Offline BaldlyGo.com

• Hair Loss Is Fun
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 01:30:51 AM »
stonecoldsteveaustin, I suppose you can leave your hair alone but if you still fill bad about it, I agree with your girlfriend. It took me 5 years to make my decision and in one night after first shave - problem was gone!

Good luck!
Check my Indiegogo campaign
https://igg.me/at/MyDadsBaldHea

Enter your email address: