Author Topic: Men's Zone 6 Blade Shaving System from Walgreen's.  (Read 7541 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Men's Zone 6 Blade Shaving System from Walgreen's.
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
OK, so I'm at Walgreen's this morning picking up a couple of bottles of Head Slick and I see this razor on the rack for $6.99. The kit includes the razor and 4 cartridges. I grabbed one and came on home.
I'm wondering how this razor will stack up against my beloved old M5 Magnum. Unfortunately I shaved this morning before I went out but the next time I shave I will use this razor and then post up to let youze all know how it went.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Men's Zone 6 Blade Shaving System from Walgreen's.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
well, what can I say? looking forward knowing how it goes.
and that's preety cheap :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
OK, so I'm at Walgreen's this morning picking up a couple of bottles of Head Slick and I see this razor on the rack for $6.99. The kit includes the razor and 4 cartridges. I grabbed one and came on home.
I'm wondering how this razor will stack up against my beloved old M5 Magnum. Unfortunately I shaved this morning before I went out but the next time I shave I will use this razor and then post up to let youze all know how it went.

Talk about being in a strange place mentally!  I read the topic and thought "a shaving system for a man's 'Zone 6' ... what is 'zone 6'?"    :*)) :*))
MikeC

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

Talk about being in a strange place mentally!  I read the topic and thought "a shaving system for a man's 'Zone 6' ... what is 'zone 6'?"    :*)) :*))

I guess I could have been more specific about the name.  :D
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
Talk about being in a strange place mentally!  I read the topic and thought "a shaving system for a man's 'Zone 6' ... what is 'zone 6'?"    :*)) :*))

I was thinking the same thing.

Let us know how it holds up.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
hey buddha:  please let us know your review on this razor.  i'm kinda curious on how this razor performs.  it's not like i need another razor. :D

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »
hey buddha:  please let us know your review on this razor.  i'm kinda curious on how this razor performs.  it's not like i need another razor. :D

WARHAWK O0

Yeah, me neither. But ever since joining the forum I feel somehow compelled to buy new shaving equipment. I look for the shaving aisle in every store I walk into.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

WARHAWK O0

Yeah, me neither. But ever since joining the forum I feel somehow compelled to buy new shaving equipment. I look for the shaving aisle in every store I walk into.

You too, eh?  I tend to stick with what I have, but I like to see what there is out there.
MikeC

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
OK boys, here 'tis! Mrs. Buddha and I are going out for fish fry tonight so I thought it would be a good time to spiff up and scrape the skull. To make this happen I hauled out the Men's Zone 6. The name of the company is Men's Zone and this razor carries the designation "6" because of the six blades.
DISCLAIMER TIME!: I have to start off by stating my prejudice for my beloved M5, the standard by which I judge all stick razors. When I found it I had never experienced a closer shave more free of irritation and that has continued to this day. I was hoping that the "6" would be a solid replacement for the M5.
I started off by making the decision to shave in the shower as this would put the "6" on a level playing field with the HeadBlade and M5. The hot water, soap, and steam would prepare the surface to be shaved so that the "6" would enjoy every possible advantage. I used Head Slick with Shave Secret.
I decided to shave my face first which is my usual pattern and the "6" did a fine job. The thing I noticed first off was a certain amount of give when pressure was applied to the blades, almost like a shock absorber. No cuts and no irritation and the face shave was as good as the M5, Sensor, or any other stick razor I have used in the past.
When I moved to the dome I noticed a disadvantage with the "floatiness" (I made that word up) of the blades. I don't know if it was the floatiness of the head or the offset of the blades but I was making 8-10 strokes in areas that the HB or M5 would have handled in one or two. The result was stubble left behind in spite of all the passes I made and my skin was already beginning to tingle with irritation. I ended up having to go over my dome in its entirety with the HB in order to get the smoothness that I have become accustomed to.
In short, I am not impressed. Face shaving is a totally different world than head shaving, as we all know, and in the world of face shaving the "6" will hold its own with, probably, most other stick razors. For scraping the dome, however, it rates a "FAIL". I'll keep it around until I run out of carts for it and it will only be used facially. As for the dome I continue to be a HB man with touch ups provided by my trusty old M5.
My advice: spend the $7.00 on a bottle of Head Slick.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
hey buddha: 

'preciate your review on the walgreen's razor.  i'll keep my $7 for something else. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »
Thanks Buddha. A well done review. That's seven bucks saved.