Author Topic: taken to advert  (Read 6364 times)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
taken to advert
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:39:11 AM »
Is anyone else having problems that when they try and read new posts they are being taken to an advert site, when using an ipad?

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: taken to advert
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:06:53 AM »
I have an iPad mini 4. Have always had a ad blocker app on my devices so I haven't experienced this personally. Download this app and follow the instructions to add it as an extension to Safari and it should help a lot.

AdGuard - adblock and privacy protection by Performix
https://appsto.re/us/6T1A-.i

Hope this helps!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 04:40:10 AM »
I'll try to keep this response brief and not confusing:

I have both an android phone and iPod touch (think iPhone that doesn't make phone calls). Whenever I access this forum, or any forum or website, on my android/google phone I have no issue at all.  When I use my ipod to access this forum, or pretty much any forum or website, I have a ton of issues with it crashing but I've also noticed something relevant to your point: as I move in with thumb or pointer finger to "click" on something the screen ALWAYS jumps to make me "click" on the nearest ad. Yes the screen literally moves itself to position an ad where I was just about to touch.  It has only been happening for the last two years.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory but I've read and heard from many sources that Steve Jobs was very against data mining and ad baiting however once he died the people left in charge of the company completely changed all of the parameters regarding ads and data mining which immediately made "silent changes" to the operating systems on Apple mobile devices, including things like my iPod touch and your iPad for example, which then caused all kinds of issues when trying to use basic internet and being "force flooded" with Ads and unnecessary content.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
uhhh... the statements about how Apple has handled advertising since Steve Job's death are simply untrue... All companies encounter policy changes, but Apple has not loosened their policies on advertising, if anything, they have tightened, as well as general iOS security.

If you are running iOS 8 or older, you have encounter trouble with ads as those operating systems are no longer supported. Apple devices over 3-4 years old are not supported generally, and will be prone to more security threats and/or general web issues like the ads you are talking about. The self positioning ad is not apple's fault, its a script written by the advertisers that doesnt normally work on a updated iOS device, but older versions may be susceptible to it.

I would recommend using AdGuard as i have already mentioned before, as it is a great solution to safari ad problems. If ads in other apps are bothering you as well, they have a 99 cent paid version that includes ad blocking in almost all other apps.

Dont bash Apple, bash the advertising agencies like Google AdChoices etc. Apple is still very hard against profit via advertising and they have done well over the years to keep limits on how much third party app makers can push ads on users. Apple itself forces no ads, where as google is 100% an advertisement based company. Apple is based on excellent products at a premium price. If youre having issues with ads on your old iOS device, its probably outdated or you havent taken precautionary measures like using AdBlock Plus web browser app or installing AdGuard or similar assistants that help keep outdated hardware out of the trouble zone.

Good luck

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
Yes, I get taken to some junk add when on the forum on my iPhone 6s. Fine on my MacBook though...

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
I have to note also, that hardware companies are not responsible for advertising. Apple and Android phones are equally vulnerable out of the box when it comes to advertising. However, Apple has set limited on app makers that will cut down on the quantity and size of ads on thier platform. Android however is owned by google, the largest advertising industry ever, anywhere... they encourage as much and as many ads as possible.

Advertising issues in a web browser like chrome or safari is not the fault of the device or the browser, its the website. Whatever advertising you guys are seeing on this forum (i dont see any because i use an ad blocker, which is a wise choice for anyone who gets annoyed by ads), is likely because the admin has chosen to allow a company like Google AdChoices to stick ads in our faces all over on the site. This gives the website creator money every time the ad is clicked, and it helps the ad company get money from the companies they are advertising for.

Simple answer and solution is: all devices are vulnerable to ads, they are caused by websites, not hardware. If you dont like ads, use an ad blocker. Adblock Plus browser is a great internet browsing app for android or Apple, and AdGuard is a great extension for any phone.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »
I have encountered this myself using my desktop PC and my Android phone too.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Sounds like you have adware on your iPad. There is very minimal ads on the mobile site and I use a very reputable ad network.

There are links to Amazon in the text.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.