Author Topic: Help! First time...and I have red everywhere  (Read 5136 times)

Offline yangsteryao

• Learning the way of Sly
Help! First time...and I have red everywhere
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Hello,...My first time coming to this site. Out of whim, and liking my "as close as possible" cuts with clippers, I decided to shave off my hair with my 4-blade razor. (I used Gillette shaving cream, did it somewhat after a warm shower, and I frequently cleaned my blade.)

The result, a total disaster. The back of my head is full of blotchy red spots, and I am fearful to even leave my home tomorrow in the case that the sun or anything else could irritate it to something a dermatologist would need to fix. Worst of all, I don't even think I got an even cut on all around my head. (It does feel smooth to touch though, haha, that's one quirky positive. It feels....strangely pleasant).

I read some stuff  about potential ingrown hairs and other nastys that could potentially result from my horrible little experiment.
Does anybody have ANY tips and helpful information so I don't have to take a trip to the dermatologist? I do like the look and everything, but I am very, very scared. As someone described on a youtube comment, "it looks like I got in a bad fight with a cat."
So for now, any helpful comments about:
1) Immediate tips to insure safety and long-term health
2) Things to get so I can better prepare next time

would help.

Thanks so much for any help that you guys could provide.

Offline yangsteryao

Re: Help! First time...and I have red everywhere
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
OH, and I did apply Nivea aftershave and some acne lotion on my head, hoping it would do some help to my burnign head.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:53:04 AM »
Welcome! Did you clipper cut it as close as possible before shaving with the razor? Were you in a hurry? Did you shave just against the grain, or did you shave with the grain or both? If there is a way to post a picture, we could see what might do the trick. If you can go purchase some Bump Patrol (in a blue bottle), your bumps should start to clear up within three days max. Post your shave routine and maybe we could see where you went wrong.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »
Welcome, sir!

If these red spots are just as smooth as the rest of your scalp, then all you may have is a mild reaction to being shaved. You are not the first guy to experience that. Any friction to your skin in general turns it a little redder due to increased blood flow to the area (women have been known to pinch their cheeks to get them rosy) but it probably seems more pronounced to you because your scalp had been shaded by hair so it was much paler.

I had the same thing happen the first few times I shaved. It went away within a week as the skin adjusted to the razor. An after shave balm (sold at almost every grocery or drug store) really helps.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »
What razor brand did you use? If using a generic brand, be sure to get a reputable well-known brand name like Gillette (Mach 3, Fusion, etc.).  Stay away from Bic though.  As far as aftershave goes, like Sir Harry mentioned, Bump Patrol gets good results. I've not used it but I've heard nothing but good about it.  A good astringent like witch hazel or Sea Breeze is good as well as 100% aloe vera gel, which has no alcohol.

Offline ksshane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
I'll second the aloe gel (generic brand is just as good as any in my opinion).  It will help with any irritation and if you happen to be getting any kind of irritation burn it will sooth that as well.

Offline SincereSoprano

• Bald, Bearded, Better.....
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
This is very normal. If I go awhile without shaving my head the same thing happens. You must have sensitive skin like I do.
Bald, Bearded, Better.....

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »
Like it's already been said - it happens to some on a newly shaved scalp.  I had it happen to me (I looked like a pepperoni pizza for a few days).
I got some Gold Bond lotion and rubbed it in - cleared it up.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
It sounds like you got some pretty bad razor burn.  I would recommend some wet shaving techniques until your skin adjusts.
-Don't wait more than a couple of days between shaves.  With a cartridge razor, this is important because you'll end up with the razor and the tiny clogged hairs both scraping across your head.  Double the irritation.
-Prep with hot water, and maybe even try some pre-shave oil.
-Only shave WTG for a while.  It won't be as close, but it will give your head time to get used   to having a blade scraped across it.
-Don't put razor to bare skin.  Reapply lather before making a second pass with the blade.

If you try that for a while and still have razor burn issues, come visit the Safety Razor Head Shaving Forum.

Offline happybuddha

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 05:12:45 AM »
I've been shaving my face in the shower for 30+ years and my head in the shower for 18+ years and highly recommend it.  I have always used disposable razors, though I'm planning to move to DE's.  Don't worry about not being able to see (unless you have a mirror in the shower).  I trim around my chin beard before I get in the shower, then everything else is by feel.

As for how to get a lather, I've always used plain ole bath soap   :Xo!, its worked so far.