Author Topic: Witch Hazel and ClearHead  (Read 18292 times)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Witch Hazel and ClearHead
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »
I bought and tried some witch hazel for the first time ever the other day after reading about it on this forum. Interesting smell. doesn't cost much even though comes from US and is going to last for ages. Haven't put it on my scalp much but it's great on the face -- it seems to really smooth the skin without of course making it greasy. It's the viscosity of water. This place is making me a little girly I think.

Did you order your from the Internet Gary?

I use the TN Dickson from Woolies/Safeway....

I was wondering if woolies stocked it... I must admit I never had a really good look last time I was in there

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 02:31:40 AM »

Yeah,

It’s an astringent, so it tightens the skin, which stops any little nicks or weepers you may have. And I’m pretty sure that it’s an antiseptic also which helps with bumps and ingrown.

I have been using it on my head since I first started shaving and started using it on the face too when I picked up the whole DE thing.

It’s well worth a look if you chasing something to replace aftershaves. Alum blocks are also pretty good IMO

I'm a little bit intrigued by alum blocks because I have never heard of them until coming to this forum. I bought a styptic pencil which contracts blood vessels and is comprised of 98.6% aluminium sulfate which according to wikipedia is a type of alum. Then I note that the crystal deodorant that I use is 'mineral salts of ammonium alum'.

So I'm already using alum but what does it do when you put it on your scalp or face and what type of alum [chemical] is it? I also wonder if you could use this crystal deodorant stuff on cuts to stop bleeding if you don't have anything else?

Any concerns about using such a comparatively large amount of chemical daily? Or, is it pretty safe? Is the alum like a block of mineral or sort of fatty like soap?

Literally it's like a rock of mineral. Such small amount is lost per use I doubt there is any adverse effects. It's like a mild styptic pencil, some general idea though. I rate it and wouldn't go without it now.

I do believe it is similar to the crystal deodorant but apparently there is some differences. Bestshave.net has some pretty cheap if you want to give it a whirl.
Lynchy

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »
I bought and tried some witch hazel for the first time ever the other day after reading about it on this forum. Interesting smell. doesn't cost much even though comes from US and is going to last for ages. Haven't put it on my scalp much but it's great on the face -- it seems to really smooth the skin without of course making it greasy. It's the viscosity of water. This place is making me a little girly I think.

I was wondering if woolies stocked it... I must admit I never had a really good look last time I was in there

Yep, this is what it looks like http://www.dickinsonbrands.com/firstaid.htm
Lynchy

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
Ahhh, thanks mate, I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in there...

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:29 AM »

Thats exactly the witch hazel I use.  Very good stuff.  I picked mine up in Wal-Mart.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »

Thats exactly the witch hazel I use.  Very good stuff.  I picked mine up in Wal-Mart.

Just out of interest -- how much did it cost in Wal-Mart. Here in Aus me it cost A$6.79.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Witch Hazel is fairly cheap here in the U.S. I use it all the time and think it is great. It really helps sooth the skin after a shave.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
I bought a rather large bottle of the TN Dickson stuff at a Walgreens here in Austin, TX for $9.99. Seems to be working well and doesn't set my head on fire as much as aftershave so I can't complain.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
I bought a rather large bottle of the TN Dickson stuff at a Walgreens here in Austin, TX for $9.99. Seems to be working well and doesn't set my head on fire as much as aftershave so I can't complain.

I bet the missus can :P It's not alcohol based so that would be why it doesn't set your head ablaze.

Just out of interest -- how much did it cost in Wal-Mart. Here in Aus me it cost A$6.79.

That's a pretty fair price, I'll definitely pop in pay day and give it a burl!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »

I bet the missus can :P It's not alcohol based so that would be why it doesn't set your head ablaze.

The Dickinson's product that I have contains 14% alcohol as a preservative. I'm very happy with it and a bottle will last at least a year if I use it on my face and skull.

You can get others from the US [which is where witch hazel grows apparently] without the alcohol but perhaps the actives would degrade over time?

I bought a rather large bottle of the TN Dickson stuff at a Walgreens here in Austin, TX for $9.99.

That must be a pretty big bottle. The one I got was 240 mL or about 8 US fl oz. Was it 16 oz?

Fancy the US having their own fluid ounces -- what will they think of next.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:09:18 PM by Gary~ »

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 01:52:21 AM »

The Dickinson's product that I have contains 14% alcohol as a preservative. I'm very happy with it and a bottle will last at least a year if I use it on my face and skull.

You can get others from the US [which is where witch hazel grows apparently] without the alcohol but perhaps the actives would degrade over time?

I bought a rather large bottle of the TN Dickson stuff at a Walgreens here in Austin, TX for $9.99.

That must be a pretty big bottle. The one I got was 240 mL or about 8 US fl oz. Was it 16 oz?

Fancy the US having their own fluid ounces -- what will they think of next.

Yeah, this one does have some alcohol in it, so there is some burning. But nothing like good old Aqua Velva. That stuff is like napalm on the noggin.

Just checked and it's 16oz (473mL). I dunno. I don't pay attention to these things when shopping. Just saw it was the right stuff and 'big damn bottle' and grabbed it.  ;D

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »

16 oz bottle in Wal-Mart for the TN Dickenson brand of witch hazel runs about $3.28 I believe.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 03:29:18 AM »
. But nothing like good old Aqua Velva.

Very jealous, Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman etc aren't available in Aus! Would kill to get my hands on some lol

They are wet shaving staples.
Lynchy

Offline jrcd654

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 03:43:43 AM »
Haven't used either, but since my professional head shave at Eddie's Haircut and Shave in NYC, the barberette (Lora) turned me onto an Alum Block, which does the same thing as Witch Hazel and Clearhead. After shaving (face and head) I run the block under cold water and thne rub it all over the shaved areas. It closes the pores and will take care of any nicks and bumps. They can be expensive but they will last quite a while if properly cared for. Must be dried after use.

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
 as witchhazel is a astringent it not only tones the skin it helps reduse the chance of getting zits or spots on your head, if you are a headblade user like i am the last thing you need is a zit on the back of the old dome that you carnt see oh painfull. O0 O0 O0