Author Topic: Witch Hazel and ClearHead  (Read 18224 times)

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
Witch Hazel and ClearHead
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »
I have been using Witch Hazel since I started shaving my head.  I love the stuff and the way it makes my head feel.  Recently I have gotten ClearHead and really like it too.  It is definitely a keeper  O0.  I have been using the Witch Hazel right after my shave, then followed by ClearHead and finally a moisturizer.  Is it ok to use both?  Or should I use one or the other?  Also what about other after shaves.  I have always used Nivea's sensitive skin after shave which I really like.  But ClearHead is essentially an aftershave minus the moisturizer.  So should I only use one or the other?  I was just curious being that this is all newer to me.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: Witch Hazel and ClearHead
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »
I haven't used clearhead.....yet.

But IMO if its working and you happy keep doing what your doing.

I use an alum block and Witchhazel, it might be overkill but it works for me.

Re: other aftershaves there is literally thousands to choose from. I'm a big fan of Geo F Trumpers Skin Food.
Lynchy

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:24 AM »
I use Clearhead when I feel a little bit of razor burn, otherwise I apply Witch Hazel. Never both though as I finish with an Aloe Vera Gel or squeeze gel directly from a few Aloe plants i grow in the garden

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:57 AM »
I bought and tried some witch hazel for the first time ever the other day after reading about it on this forum. Interesting smell. doesn't cost much even though comes from US and is going to last for ages. Haven't put it on my scalp much but it's great on the face -- it seems to really smooth the skin without of course making it greasy. It's the viscosity of water. This place is making me a little girly I think.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
I bought and tried some witch hazel for the first time ever the other day after reading about it on this forum. Interesting smell. doesn't cost much even though comes from US and is going to last for ages. Haven't put it on my scalp much but it's great on the face -- it seems to really smooth the skin without of course making it greasy. It's the viscosity of water. This place is making me a little girly I think.

Did you order your from the Internet Gary?

I use the TN Dickson from Woolies/Safeway....
Lynchy

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
I keep it simple, ClearHead only.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Sorry if it sounds stupid, but what exactly does witch hazel do for ya? I've seen mention of it several times around here but I don't know anything about it. Is it any different than just using plain old aftershave?

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »

I also got it in Woolworths -- not the web. The TN Dickinson's is the only one that I could find. A bottle is going to last a long time -- good value.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »

I also got it in Woolworths -- not the web. The TN Dickinson's is the only one that I could find. A bottle is going to last a long time -- good value.
Yes its pretty long lasting stuff.
Im pretty tempted to try one of theese http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop-by-brand/thayers-witch-hazel.html at some point. Price is a little high though.
Lynchy

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

Im pretty tempted to try one of theese http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop-by-brand/thayers-witch-hazel.html at some point. Price is a little high though.

Hey, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it and will do some research later to see what's in it if that info is available. I like the idea of no alcohol and it looks like really good stuff. Expensive, but free shipping and a pretty big bottle too. Probably last at least a year. And not expensive compared to what the ladies pay for their stuff.

Tried witch hazel on my skull today for the first time -- seems good. Not too sure about what the difference is between 'toner' and 'astringent' though. More research -- just as well I have nothing better to do -- too hot today anyway.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
I have used both witch hazel and clearhead after a shave. Witch hazel helps sooth any irrritation on the skin that I may have. Clearhead helps eliminate any bumps that may develop. I highly recommend using both products. I use witch hazel after a cold rinse of my head in cold water after a shave to close the pores. The cold rinse helps to eliminate bumps from developing on my head. I usually then use headblade glossy lube which gives the noggin the nice shinethat I like and keeps my head moisturized.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
Sorry if it sounds stupid, but what exactly does witch hazel do for ya? I've seen mention of it several times around here but I don't know anything about it. Is it any different than just using plain old aftershave?

I've never use after shave so I don't know what it does. They reckon that it's a toner whatever that means. I can only say that by my direct observation it seems to make the skin smoother perhaps by reducing the pore size? It's the viscosity of water, dries in a few seconds and has an interesting bitter smell. They suggest you use it under after shave or moisturiser or whatever you use if anything.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »

I've never use after shave so I don't know what it does. They reckon that it's a toner whatever that means. I can only say that by my direct observation it seems to make the skin smoother perhaps by reducing the pore size? It's the viscosity of water, dries in a few seconds and has an interesting bitter smell. They suggest you use it under after shave or moisturiser or whatever you use if anything.
Yeah,

It’s an astringent, so it tightens the skin, which stops any little nicks or weepers you may have. And I’m pretty sure that it’s an antiseptic also which helps with bumps and ingrown.

I have been using it on my head since I first started shaving and started using it on the face too when I picked up the whole DE thing.

It’s well worth a look if you chasing something to replace aftershaves. Alum blocks are also pretty good IMO

Lynchy

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

Yeah,

It’s an astringent, so it tightens the skin, which stops any little nicks or weepers you may have. And I’m pretty sure that it’s an antiseptic also which helps with bumps and ingrown.

I have been using it on my head since I first started shaving and started using it on the face too when I picked up the whole DE thing.

It’s well worth a look if you chasing something to replace aftershaves. Alum blocks are also pretty good IMO

I'm a little bit intrigued by alum blocks because I have never heard of them until coming to this forum. I bought a styptic pencil which contracts blood vessels and is comprised of 98.6% aluminium sulfate which according to wikipedia is a type of alum. Then I note that the crystal deodorant that I use is 'mineral salts of ammonium alum'.

So I'm already using alum but what does it do when you put it on your scalp or face and what type of alum [chemical] is it? I also wonder if you could use this crystal deodorant stuff on cuts to stop bleeding if you don't have anything else?

Any concerns about using such a comparatively large amount of chemical daily? Or, is it pretty safe? Is the alum like a block of mineral or sort of fatty like soap?

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »

Yeah,

Ahh Thanks for explaining guys. Works for me, because I need a good astringent. Something else to look out for next time I go to the store.