Author Topic: QUESTION/HELP - Tanning my VERY BRIGHT bald head..  (Read 47114 times)

Offline davisdavis

• Learning the way of Sly
QUESTION/HELP - Tanning my VERY BRIGHT bald head..
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
My head is very bright from 1st time shave. My head is so light and my face is much darker it looks very odd. How do I tan the head to be consistent with the coloring of my face? Is there a tanning cream to rub in until the sun does it? Can I get it done at a tanning salon?  This is all new to me so I really need your help. I'm very sad about it to be honest. Looking for your advice and help as I'm new to this board with my very first post.

Thanks,

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
Re: QUESTION/HELP - Tanning my VERY BRIGHT bald head..
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
Avoid the tanning booths at all costs!

I think Jergen's makes a sunless tanning lotion which might be just what you're looking for.  I haven't tried it myself, but I haven't heard any negatives about it either...
MikeC

Offline TheBreeze

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
I just went sly two weeks ago and also wanted to avoid the bright white head.  I probably have a slightly darker skin tone than you, but I wanted to darken it all up as well.

I recommend trying the Jergens Natural Glow.  I have been using it for two weeks and it definitely helps.  There are two kinds - one for whiter races and one for darker races.  I put it on up to 3 times a day and it does a nice job of moisturizing too.  I would try this for a few weeks and see how it goes. 

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
The two weekends following my shaving my head were very nice and sunny and I spent a good hour each of those 4 days with no hat under the sun. I got NO TAN at all. I was concerned about getting burned but all I ended up with was a darker tan on my face and an unchanged white head. Only now that's its winter and I haven't got much sun in a couple of months that the color difference has faded. It doesn't make much sense, but that's what happened to me.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline davisdavis

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
Thanks. I'm trying to figure this stuff out. I did purchase the Jergens product today.

I'm going to my dermatologist in the morning to consult with him about trying the TANNING bed for HEAD only. Not sure how SAFE that is so I wanted to consult with him 1st.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
I REALLY don't think that you're going to find a doctor who would say its OK to get into a tanning bed, but you never know.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure this stuff out. I did purchase the Jergens product today.

I'm going to my dermatologist in the morning to consult with him about trying the TANNING bed for HEAD only. Not sure how SAFE that is so I wanted to consult with him 1st.

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Troy

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Even if you find a doctor who okays going to a tanning bed, I'd stay clear of them.  They are bad news.  I'd go the route of cream or whatever else might provide some temporary color. 

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »
If you want to go to the tanning salon, you might want to try the Mystic spray on tan or try an airbrush tan. I would worry too much about the tanning beds and skin cancer. The skin color will even out in time.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:16:19 PM »
You've made a wise decision in going sly -- don't follow it up with a really stupid one (tanning bed).

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:15:56 AM »
Tanning beds make me very nervous.

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »
Another vote for Jergens Natural Glow.  It won't tan your head instantly, but use it every day for a few days and you'll see results.

Offline davisdavis

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
Well I'm back from my appointment with my dermatologist. Just like you all he said stay away from tanning beds and use the sunless tanning lotions. I purchased the Jergens Natural Glow, brought it with me to the office and he strongly recommended me to use such. So far I've applied my 1st day coat, twice, and will do it again tonight. Thanks for all your advice, guidance, and support. Discussions with you alone have boosted my confidence going sly. Thank you!!!!!

His assistant also mentioned one called "Salvage Tan" which she said gave her instant darkness on the same day. I tried to locate the Salvage Tan but not luck. Have any of you ever heard of Salvage Tan (sunless tan)?

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »
sHis assistant also mentioned one called "Salvage Tan" which she said gave her instant darkness on the same day. I tried to locate the Salvage Tan but not luck. Have any of you ever heard of Salvage Tan (sunless tan)?

That's Savage Tan. I've heard of it, but never used it.

If you're looking for something that'll work faster than the Jergens, you should try L'Oreal Sublime Bronze, which is available in most drugstores. Get the gel version that comes in the translucent tube. Avoid the "tinted" version, which comes in a solid tube and has shimmer/glitter in it. It'll set you back like $10. I used that for years and it works great. The one I'm using now is Sun Labs Dark Sunsation, which is a little more expensive and harder to find.

Also, you should be aware that the sunless tanning thing is sort of a commitment for us Sly guys. DHA (the active ingredient) only changes the color of the very top layer of skin--which we end up exfoliating away when we shave. I end up needing to apply sunless tanning stuff to my head about twice as often as I do my face.

Offline Fighu35

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
  So can anyone tell me how to cover the  crown,no matter what tricks u use
and the razor..the crown is hair under the skin,that u can see...I tired  2 self tanners,neither worked..thanks guys