Author Topic: Eclipse observations  (Read 2047 times)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Eclipse observations
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
I live south of Charlotte, NC, so just north of the path of the total eclipse of the sun.  Most of the office went home this afternoon to view/observe.

The dimmed light was a strange sort of light, with the sun in the sky, but lacking it's normal intensity.  The birds quieted down and teh cicadias start their nightly chirp. this lasted for about 15-20 minutes of the darkest part of the eclipse, then they stopped as the light returned, but the birds resumed signing like it was morning.

We saw a 5 degree temperature drop.

The dimness outside looked like I had very dark sunglasses on, but yet the shadows suggested the sun was still up in the sky.

The spots of light through the tree leaves in the yard left a crescent shape instead of the usual round shape.  We observed the eclipse via a pinhole in a piece of paper, casting the shadow on another piece of paper on the ground.  Was interesting to see this pinhole camera effect and observe the coverage of the sun.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Eclipse observations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
My wife and I were on the beach about 750 miles north of you, so we had a partial eclipse.  The sun was out, but the light was dimmer and grayish and the temperature felt cooler.  We borrowed some glasses from another couple on the beach at about 2:45 and got a good glimpse of the eclipse.

Our daughter in Washington, DC sent us a picture of the pinhole camera that one of her coworkers brought in.  The eclipse was very clear.

Enter your email address: