Author Topic: Disadvantage: No Warning!  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Yakangler

• Learning the way of Sly
Disadvantage: No Warning!
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »
I'm sure we all could fill volumes with funny (or probably not so funny) accounts of when being bald was a tremendous disadvantage... What I'm referring to here is the disadvantage of not having any buffer or warning sign when you're about to crack the dome on.....you name the object.  A wall, changing the oil in the car, etc, etc.   ::)

I've got multiple examples, but thought the best was recently when I found myself in the attic, installing insulation.  Hot day, sweating, can't breathe, respirator in place...just to set the tone.  I was leaning over and went to stand up, thrusting my bald head on the underside of the roof (full of nails).  You know what's next: I reached up palpating the back of my head with my hand to discover what felt like a gaping wound...a 3" laceration to the noggin.  Upon further inspection, though, I found there was no blood!  Got lucky this time...the gaping wound was actually the elastic band that secured the respirator!  Nonetheless, this seems to happen almost on a daily basis...and without warning.

~~The only time I wish I had hair.

Any other good ones?

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Disadvantage: No Warning!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
I smashed the top of my head on a door frame about four times in the span of as many months during my early stages of slyness.  I've definitely become more cautious.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
I am more cautious as well. Overly cautious!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline carla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
Maybe if I hit my head one more time it'll knock some sense into me!  SHEEESH!  I was flipping around on the playground with the kids and BONK! cracked my head a good one on the bar above the slide.  No bloodletting, but a goose egg and a red face!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
Gardening / yardwork presents more challenges. Branches and bushes that would have just brushed the hair now hit the scalp directly. Weeding around the base of a big holly was painful. It was as if the leaves with their little points were out for vengence on my bald pate!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »
I smashed the top of my head on a door frame about four times in the span of as many months during my early stages of slyness.  I've definitely become more cautious.

I do this all the time.  Here in Japan most door frames are lower than in other countries, and being taller than average here (About 6'1") I've lost count of the number of times i've cut my head on things....

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
Happened a lot on-board ship...and then the serious gashes for the SLY had to wait to shave again until healed.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
Being tall, I have hit my head many times in the past on exit signs. I did so a couple of times on cabinet doors. Ouch!!!

Now I am more aware of my surrondings and look first.

:)

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »
This kind of hazards have given us all a pause to cuss, rub and watch out for the next thing to clobber us.

Offline Jaymo

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
I gashed my head open at work last year. Had to have 5 stitches. I had just shaved my head that day. It was 9 days before the doctor removed the stitches and I could shave.

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
I work in IT and crawling under desks to change plugs or pc equipment comes with the territory of the job. I can't tell you the amount of times i've cracked my head on the underside of the desk. I've come to learn put my hand up to feel where the desk is.

The other one for me that is frustrating is our trains here have a curved roof with lights that are fairly low, i've lost count how many times I've stood up to get off the train and smacked my head straight into the light fixture.

The joys of a bald head hey :)

Enter your email address: