Author Topic: Still on the fence?  (Read 131259 times)

Offline Slick_Chris

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Still on the fence?
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
For me, there is no grey area when it comes to this matter.  It's either,

A)  You have the gene for MPB and shaving it bald is the only option

OR

B)  You DON'T have the gene for MPB and having a full head of hair is an option.

I have the gene for MPB so I knew it wasn't IF I would shave but WHEN.  Finally built up the courage to do it about a week ago and I couldn't be happier with the results.  I LOVE the way I look bald and I have my confidence back.  I feel like I could conquer the world and I'll be damned if I don't try. 

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
Razor, What an excellent post! You said it all very well. It sure motivates me.

Also, congradulations on your 8th anniversary.

Sorry that I didn't see your post sooner.

O0 O0 O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
Razor, What an excellent post! You said it all very well. It sure motivates me.

Also, congradulations on your 8th anniversary.

Sorry that I didn't see your post sooner.

O0 O0 O0

Thank you.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
Thanks for a great post from Razor and excellent message to anyone sitting on the face.

I really believe that shaving bald is one of the most effective personal makeovers you can give yourself. Not just a makeover of visual appearance, but a confidence makeover, too.  From my own experience, you'll get a noticed with a smile, you'll enjoy carrying your new look, you might even look younger and look you've lost weight, too. And for those who work in office, you'll look sharp, smart and professional.

For anyway whose thinking of shaving, well you are half way there. Once you shave, your worrying is over.

Six weeks ago, I had sad thinning grey hair. Now, I love being bald.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »
I think your glasses add to your good looks Jules , had another friend who is sly and really suits him , notsure that
Glasses suit me , nu dont need grey hair .

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
I think your glasses add to your good looks Jules , had another friend who is sly and really suits him , notsure that
Glasses suit me , nu dont need grey hair .

That was one of the reasons I considered going sly: disliked my grey hair. And if you have MPB and grey too, well that's two reasons to shave the lot off and keep it shaved clean.

Started wearing glasses a few years ago. My eyesight has got worse and struggle without them now.  Still it's good to know that glasses and bald can go together. In time, you may need glasses for reading.

Offline TJ

• Sly Guy in Training
  • I am loving my new look and new beard.
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2012, 04:48:14 AM »
Hello, guys,

I'm new. I've read some of the posts but I still have a couple of questions. If I just choose to do this one day, what exactly do I do? I read the 30 day rule, and I understand that. But if I just decide to go with it, what are the steps? Cut off as much as I can with scissors, then jump right in with a razor? Is the first time going to cause a bunch of bumps? I am just uncertain as to the best way for the very first moment that I go sly. Also, what does sly stand for?

Thanks guys,

Tim

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20:05 AM »
Hi Tim, and welcome.

Easy questions, easy answers. And I'm confident the other guys will add in anything I've missed or misstated.

To start you want to remove as much hair as possible. I went to my barber and had her cut everything off with "no guard" on the clippers. You can also get yourself an inexpensive set of clippers and do it yourself. Scissors are not likely to cut it close enough to the scalp.

Then take a hot shower to get rid of any loose hair and soften the remaining hair, the same way as you do if you shave your face. Put on shaving gel and, with a new razor, use a very light touch (as in, "no pressure") to shave off the stubble. The new razor will create the least amount of drag and should minimize any issues with bumps. Just go slow and take your time. I found the back of the head is the most difficult.

When you're done ... feel that magnificent slickness and admire your new look. You'll be amazed.

Commit to the 30 days which will give you the opportunity to integrate daily shaving into your routine and to become accustomed to your new look, and allow others to do the same. Also, your scalp will toughen a bit which makes shaving easier, and if you get a little sun each day it will minimize the color difference if you have any.

As for why "sly" Tyler, the founder, explained: I used Sly because of the meaning "Playfully Roguish" meaning we go against the grain of what most people do.

Also, I encourage you to post an item in the "Introductions" category so everyone can add their two cents in case they miss this post.

Again, welcome. Just take it easy. And enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:58:18 PM by FrontierGuy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:43 AM »
FrontierGuy has said it well.

If you already have hair clippers, you can save the cost of the barber. Or perhaps you have a friend with hair clippers. Set the clippers for as short as they will go.  Take down all the hair. Scissors are not short enough.  You want your have almost gone before you shave.

A good starting razor for head shaving is something like the Schick Hydro 5. It's less likely you will nick your scalp with this razor. 

Take it easy the first week. Don't scrape your scalp too hard. It will be tender at first.

Unless you already buzz to a zero or less, you'll probably need to be extra cautious about sun exposure at first.  Use sunscreen.

Follow up your shave with a moisturizer. Aloe Vera Gel is nice. Or some of the other head gels or balms.  Witch hazel splash all over also is nice. It's an astringent. Feels good. Cheap.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
Hello Tim

All has been said already.  Shave with the grain your first time to ease into the adjustment.  Then after a few days you may want to try against the grain, or you can do one pass with the grain and one against, if you want.

Don't be put off if you pick up a few nicks, as your scalp may have a few moles or pimples and your scalp will be very sensitive the first time.

Enjoy it and good luck.

Post a pic if you want some honest opinions as to your new look.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
Sitting in the auto repair shop...gonna be here for a few hours, so I had my computer with me and read through this thread in its entirety. Razor, if I had read this when I started thinning/losing roughly 12 years ago, I would have gone permanently sly long before April of 2008....Prior to 2008, the occasions that I did shave my head was for two and three weeks maneuvers with the military but even outside of that, I would wear a cap to cover my shaved head, even though I was trying to escape the shadow of my MPB predecessors. Oddly enough, my dad and granddad, MPB and all hated shaved heads, they say that "You should make do with what you have" Bull! I think the reason I wore hats a lot in the beginning was because of the negative comments from family and so called "friends" What motivated me to stop wearing hats and to start wearing my bald head with pride, was when my mother saw my shaved head for the first time for Mother's Day 2008 and she said she loved it! That was the push I needed to go out in public and "get my shine on" if you will. As they say, Mom has your back when no one else does. Anyway, I really enjoyed this post and the responses and this reinforces my decision to never grow hair again (at least on the noggin). As for Dad and Granddad, they are no longer here, but I'm sure they're still loving me from above, bald head and all!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
Tim... FrontierGuy pretty much nailed it.

As suggested, post up an Introduction in the Introduction section and you'll get plenty more responses.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Thx Razor X for your reply. But i have to say i disagree. I have been lurking around this platform for ages. I stiil hate the fact that my hairdo is fading, i am not a bald guy. Yet life is beating me to it i feel. I work in finance and most of my colleagues support long but groomed hair. Buzzing it would make me feel out of context. Think i need a push to take the plunge, but not sure what that 'push' is????

Maybe ten 'fence' guys recognizing this. Let's collectively take the plunge. I will if ten of those 'sign on' here  O0
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:11:16 PM by dave523 »

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »
Hi Dave, I think most of the "on the fence" guys have gotten off the fence and moved on.

Looking back at your posts (your last post prior to today was two years ago) you've struggled with this and tried various drugs and shampoos and such, which haven't been effective.

Seems like you realize but don't want to accept the continuing advance of hairline. So, what will be the situation two years from now?

If feels to me like you are spending a huge amount of time/money/emotion obsessing over this. If you were my brother or a close friend I would strongly encourage you to move off the fence and go Sly. Take control of your hair loss, rather than letting your hair loss control you.

I hope in two years you aren't here posting the same issue. Wouldn't it be better to be here (in two years) recounting how great life has been now that you are free of hair issues?

I wish you the best in your decisions.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »
I work in finance and most of my colleagues support long but groomed hair. Buzzing it would make me feel out of context. I guess guys that wear jeans to work (have it easier shaving their dome.

I also work in finance and it's never been an issue.  Stop making excuses.  You've already spent two years agonizing over this.  Time to do something about it and move on.