4 (8.2%)
options 2 & 3
22 (44.9%)
options 1,2,3
5 (10.2%)
never
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: how were U disciplined as a child??  (Read 19960 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: how were U disciplined as a child??
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »
Well Champ put it this way....those thoughts have crossed my mind several times.  The nightlight thing....doesnt work.  He says he night light cast shadows.  There is a long story behind why he is scared and we are trying to correct it.  In a way it is my fault and we really are at wits end on how to fix it.  About 2 years ago he was sitting on my lap at the computer.  I was doing this puzzle thing that was sent to me in email .  Well unexpectedly, just when you thought you were about done with the puzzle this really scarey looking face pops up on the screen adn we had the speakers turned up loud, and you heard this big ol scream.  It even frightened me for a second because I pushed my desk chair back away from teh computer and Logan literally jumped up and flew out of my lap over my head.  It tramatized him and I almost thought we were gonna have to take him to the hospital that day.  Poor kid.....but I dont know what to do, we have had people talk to him about his fears and it is just embedded into his mind he cant seem to shake it.  Sometimes he is fine and others...???  It only bothers him when something triggers the memory.  Other than that he is a good natured kid and very caring and all....we ( the wife and I) are just at wits end...

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »
Well Dad whomped us with a belt and Mom (on very rare occasion) would pull out the metal spatula and give us a good case of "waffle ass".

You know... even with these butt whompings I don't feel like i was ever abused and I love my Folks dearly. They just gave me what I needed, when I needed it. Many now would probably consider it some kind of abuse..... which is ridiculous......

I grew up in a tough neighborhood during tough times..... Thank God that the folks kept me in line.......

Mike 8)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
My mom gave me a timeout one time and I SUED HER ABUSIVE ASS!!

So from then on it was only closed fisted beatings from my dad.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »
My father whipped me with his belt, washed my mouth out with soap, and gave me bare-ass spankings.  He'd sometimes spell out the words of the thing I did bad slapping my ass once for each  letter.

I've never spanked my daughter, although she's given me reason to.  I've opted to take away things she really likes instead - cell phone, ipod, computer use, etc...  It seems to have worked.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
In all seriousness....one time I got caught having stole a small role of caps.  (remember the little paper strip for loading into cap guns).

Anyway, I got a woopin' from my dad.......but worse than that he took me down to the drug store and made me return them to the manager and apologize for stealing them.

That was worse than the woopin' and what I remember most (I was like 6 years old).

Needless to say, I didn't become a thief or shoplifter after that.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »
How would you like to have been me when I was caught stealing a pack of wrigleys gum...not only did I have to return them to the manager....but I also had to make a trip to the police station before I went back to the store....My mom ....she just always went to the extreme on things like that....I felt going back to the store was going to be enough...but no.....no siree bob....we had to go visit the police.......man I hated that.  Might as well just stuck a flashing sign out in front of our house stating that there is a bubble gum theif that lives here....its what I felt like.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:52 AM »
In elementary school, my parents took away my beer when I misbehaved. In high school, Ketel One.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 08:45:49 AM »
LOL.....then they gave you a cigarette to calm ya nerves right? 

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »
LOL.....then they gave you a cigarette to calm ya nerves right? 

Nah, smoking is bad for you.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »
honestly, i just knew that when dad said something, that was how it is gonna be. now kids think they can do what they want cause discipline is abuse. but i will disciplinr my kids any way i see fit.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »
is that why he is missing his front teeth in the pic...Just kidding bro....I would never take anything to that extreme.  The other night i did some ass whippin with the belt and I guess it did leave a slight mark on his butt cheeks...and he commented about it...I said well GOOD!  Maybe now you will have a small reminder of what happens when you act up.  There is a difference between abuse and discipline.....i just wish most people would realize that...

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
actually, I joke about it, but this is no laughing matter. My parents were old school and firmly believed in using the belt. It deifnitely got our attention and you knew when the parents meant business.

I have spanked the kids before, but the Lovely Mrs. Schro is not too fond of it. However, she has a voice and a way of speaking when she's pissed off that makes a spanking the easy way out.

Offline Bald_Okie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »
I grew up in a military family, so discipline was very strict. There was a line that was not crossed. If we ever got too close to the line my dad would say, "Go get 'The Belt'". And while my sister and I might act up at home we knew at school and public was a different story. I got two swats in 7th grade and that was it. My dad still doesn't know about them, and I don't plan on telling him.

I never heard of "time out" until I became a teacher. Swats some how disappeared while I was in college. All I know was kids were getting the paddle left and right when I was a senior, but by the time I became a teacher the paddle was outlawed.

I do believe a good mix of the belt, time-out and restrictions makes good discipline. The key ingredient is consistency. I have a 10 year old and an 11 year old and with two teachers as parents, they don't get by with much.

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 03:04:35 AM »
The punishment fit the crime...

I had everything from time out, to loss of toys/ video games, to groundings, to Spankings.

When i was younger, I got the time outs. as I got older, that got replaced with groundings... The groundings never lasted though because I just whinnied as much as I could till my mom couldn't take it may more.

The loss of toys and junk also gave way to the whinnying.

The spankings... um... yeah... My mother was old school and believed in the paddle... however, she did not have a paddle, nor did she want to get one from an "adult store," so I got the trusty wooden spoon.  :x! There were a few times she'd break one on my ares in the first few hits, then send me to the store to buy more ???

Offline PORKY

• Super Sly
    • http://mypage.com/PORKMIEZTER
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »
WELL PEOPLE...  just REMEMBER as your swingin the belt on that ass , the one your swattin is NOT responsible for ALL thats gone wrong during the day, AND somewhere down the line the ass your swattin MAY be the one pickin your nursing home ! O:O
I'm a BIG cigar smokin,bike ridin,truck muddin,bald headed ,long bearded,tattoo'd, no sh*t takin, Southern bred, Tequila drinkin SUMANA BYTCH