Author Topic: Asking a Woman Out  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Asking a Woman Out
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »
Agreed, great post GG. Although I'm pretty sure a meaningful relationship can be had with those "cheap women". It all just depends on your definition of "meaningful".  ;D

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
Having been together with my soon to be wife for nearly 12 years since we were both teenagers I honestly would have no idea how to ask out a full grown adult lady!  :D

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
I wish I could build up the courage to ask a girl out.
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
You can do it joe.   O0 Just act with all the confidance in the world.  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline No hair in sight

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
Cheers for the responses. In my original post I worded it a bit strangely I guess (hence the early joke responses, which I enjoyed), but I guess what I'm getting at is not an issue of 'I'm too shy' or 'I can't ask this girl out at this coffee shop, that would be absurd!'

What I'm trying to ascertain, I suppose, is whether others ever overlook opportunities given the location, context, etc? If I'm not in a particular situation, such as a party, bar etc, then the thought of asking the girl out doesn't even enter my head (talk to a nice girl in a bar and it occurs to me I should ask her out. Have the same conversation in a grocery store and it never occurs to me). I suppose I'm just wondering how normal this is and whether I need to be more wired to see opportunities everywhere.

Not a big deal as such - I don't sit up at night screaming the heavens wondering why I don't ask out every girl I meet - it's more of an observation on the way I do (or don't do) things.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
Why has the firsty opportunity been mised? Is the girl is question not still at work. altough U have to say I would avoid work relationships as if they go wrong they can be a nightmare.

I think for any woman these days it is safety first, if  a guy just came up and asked for a date, some might be taken aback.

however it might not lead to dating but try and make the most of interaction with women and take opportunities to get to know them and if a date comes from that, then great!

Offline No hair in sight

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
Why has the firsty opportunity been mised? Is the girl is question not still at work. altough U have to say I would avoid work relationships as if they go wrong they can be a nightmare.
I agree with that (dependent on the workplace, how much you see them there etc.) But no, she is no longer there. It is merely a possibility from my past.

Yes - I should make more of possibilities. I should add that I do sometimes; but there's plenty of roo for improvement..

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
Bump into them or maybe trip them and appolize all over the place make sure to carry bandaids.  O0 :*))  Sorry just had to say that.
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
Bump into them or maybe trip them and appolize all over the place make sure to carry bandaids.  O0 :*))  Sorry just had to say that.

Yeah and see how far that will get you although it sure would be funny to watch :*))

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »
I used to swing at everything. Not only was Babe Ruth the home run king he held the record for strike outs so go ahead son, give it hell, you'll be surprised how many times you hit a home run.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
I used to swing at everything. Not only was Babe Ruth the home run king he held the record for strike outs so go ahead son, give it hell, you'll be surprised how many times you hit a home run.
Just goes to show a man that has served his country as Tom, lives hard, and plays hard !   O0  Balls to the walls !   8)
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
isleepinthebuff is correct that the first thing that comes to mind when being hit on/asked out for me is safety. 

I've been married the past 9 years so I turned down all the date requests I got over that period, but had I been single I would have said yes to a good number of them.  In general, I find being asked out flattering and charming and it saves me the trouble :)

I'd also say yes to some men whom I would not ask out myself.  I'm not opposed to asking men out but being rather shy it takes a lot of attraction to push me that way.  I'm not sure if I'm phrasing this in a way that doesn't sound insulting.

The deciding factors for me are: safety (is the situation in any way creepy or unsafe?  Do I get a bad vibe?); intent (do I sense you are looking for a one night hookup or an actual date?  Specifying something like "go for coffee" is key here if it's the latter); context (are we in a setting that I'm comfortable in or am I ill at ease?  Does this person have any kind of power or authority over me that he may be trying to exploit, e.g. a boss or doctor).

Things I don't care about at all: if he seems nervous, if he uses a cheesy or stupid line, if his clothing/grooming is impeccable (decent will do).  In other words, being nervous or awkward or unpolished is not going to affect your chances with me, at least.

One additional note is I can't imagine I'd ever accept a date request from someone who was trying to sell me something.  For some reason mall kiosk guys and cell phone salesmen seem to think asking for dates is a good upsell strategy.  Nope.