Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742316 times)

Offline MattD

• Sly Jr.
  • They call it the Damato
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #360 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
Ok, so I went to Bath & Body works and got the C.O. Bigelow shave cream and Target for a brush. Tried it this morning and loved it! The cooling effect in the cream is awesome and I live the smell. Next step is to try out different razors to fine tune the whole process for myself.
Thanks again to everyone for the help, guidance, and pointers.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:21:37 PM by MattD »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
Matt, not wanting to ruin your excitement or anything, but I suggest you spend some time getting your technique down with the razor and blades you have before trying other razors.  It's not as exciting but in the long run the quality of your shaves will improve!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
Agreed Bluebriz

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #363 on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
ELECTION DAY SOTD, Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Razor:  1960 Gillette Fatboy (dialed @ #7)

Blade:  Polsilver Super Iridium

Brush:  Semogue SOC

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap (Lemongrass)

I went vintage today & had an incredible BBS face & dome shave.  I finished it off with a cold water rinse and applied Bee-Bald HEAL.  Hope everyone has a great day and hope your shaves are BBS.8)

WARHAWK
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:17:14 AM by warhawk »
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #364 on: November 06, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »
@ MattD:  The only pointers or tips that I will give is the more you DE shave the better you will get.  Also... do not rush and take your time with your safety razor shaves. 

You must treat it with respect.  Remember this is your "me" time, this is your spa-time, this is the time that you pamper yourself and "get away" from the world.

Enjoy trying different razors, blades, and other shaving items.  Variety is the spice of life.  Remember... this is a challenging and fun way to shave.  Enjoy my friend.  I know I am. O0

WARHAWK O0

Slynito

« Reply #365 on: November 06, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Mel, has a good point...it's very nice to have a choice of razors, soaps and blades. Today I got out my 1955 Gillette Tech and a new Merkur blade and got a nice smooth shave from a non-aggressive razor. It's like using a hand saw, you don't force it. Just take your time and don't rush and before long you won't even be thinking about angle or pulling. Good luck!  O0

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #366 on: November 07, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Razor:  Merkur Futur (set to 3.5)
Blade:  Wilkinson Sword DE Blade
Brush:  Sally's Beauty Supply "Cheap-O" (but good enough for me) brush
Soap:   Leftover HeadSlick from shower head shave with a little more added to the mixing bowl

I haven't posted in this thread in a while so I figure I'd post today's shave.

I've been on a shaving my face every few day kick for the past week. Before this morning, I hadn't shaved since Sunday morning so I was a little scruffy. The Merkur went through the few days of growth with ease. By the end of the first pass, my shave was already a SAS though with a few little weepers. I finished passes two and three and I had a nice, nearly BBS shave. A little bit of cold water splashing, styptic work and Gillette A/S lotion and the weepers are nearly all but a distant memory.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:19:36 AM by D o u g »
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #367 on: November 07, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
I skipped my head shave (still smooth) but had a great BBS face shave.  I have been primarily using the Mike's Natural Soap and decided to revisit Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Sandalwood Shaving Cream.  This is probably my favorite cream with Mike's Natural being my favorite shave soap.  TOBS is a great performing cream that lathers like yogurt & provides great cushion.  I love the sandalwood scent.

Razor: Weber ARC w/ Bulldog Handle

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium

Cream: TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Brush: Semogue 620

WARHAWK

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #368 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
Thursday, November 8, 2012 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Bulldog Handle

Blade:  Feather

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Brush:  Semogue 620

I had a very relaxing BBS face & dome shave .  Prior to shave...I washed face & dome with Bee-Bald CLEAN and ended my routine with an ice cube rub, refrigerated witch hazel, and Bee-Bald HEAL.  So far....the Bee-Bald products are great performers.  Another relaxing spa-like DE experience....life is great.  I hope you gents have a great day & happy shaves.

WARHAWK

theman

« Reply #369 on: November 08, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Great picture , and also like the watch !!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #370 on: November 08, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
Great picture , and also like the watch !!!!
Thanks....when are you going to participate in the Safety Razor SOTD?

WARHAWK O0

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
My very first SOTD entry!

Friday, November 9th, 2012 SOTD

Razor:  Edwin Jagger DE89L

Blade:  Derby Extra

Soap:  Van Der Hagen

Brush:  Van Der Hagen

After Shave:  None

Well, the first DE shave has come and gone. The Van Der Hagen soap from Walmart did not lather well, and I can't say that I liked it. The brush is...a brush. It does brush-like things. They're both very cheap at Walmart.

I was very careful to not bear down on the razor, and I went slow. I can happily say that I didn't cut myself. I used the EJ on my face and front of neck, and both the EJ and Fusion on my head. It's not the closest shave I've had, but I was more concerned with not turning my face into spaghetti. I need some good shave cream. I'm tempted to try the Head Slick I have. It has to be better than the VDH soap.

I really need to get some after shave. What was I thinking??  :/O
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:29:22 AM by theebaldguy »
Just say no to rugs!

theman

« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
My very first SOTD entry!

Razor:  Edwin Jagger DE89L

Blade:  Derby Extra

Soap:  Van Der Hagen

Brush:  Van Der Hagen

After Shave:  None

Well, the first DE shave has come and gone. The Van Der Hagen soap from Walmart did not lather well, and I can't say that I liked it. The brush is...a brush. It does brush-like things. They're both very cheap at Walmart.

I was very careful to not bear down on the razor, and I went slow. I can happily say that I didn't cut myself. I used the EJ on my face and front of neck, and both the EJ and Fusion on my head. It's not the closest shave I've had, but I was more concerned with not turning my face into spaghetti. I need some good shave cream. I'm tempted to try the Head Slick I have. It has to be better than the VDH soap.

I really need to get some after shave. What was I thinking??  :/O
Sorry bro. ,

I like it watch how much water you put on your brush , have it good and hot !  After on the face let it set , unless you have you soaked your face with a towel.  Then just put it on right, and shave !  Rince, and Happy Trails !   ;) 8)  Thanks for the summary bro..  O0

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #373 on: November 10, 2012, 04:28:24 AM »
Saturday, November 10th, 2012 SOTD

Razor:  Edwin Jagger DE89L

Blade:  Derby Extra

Cream:  Head Slick

Brush:  Van Der Hagen

After Shave:  None

The Head Slick worked slightly better than the Van Der Hagen soap, for me anyway. Certainly easier to later up. A couple of very minor nicks, no worse than I've gotten with Fusion. Still very cautious, and not BBS everywhere. Onward and forward!  O:O

Edit: I noticed that the Head Slick gunked up the blade. I forgot that it's really good at doing that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:48:10 PM by theebaldguy »
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #374 on: November 10, 2012, 05:07:07 AM »
Did you soak the soap and brush in hot water before you lathered up?  I find it hard to believe any shave soap is worse than head slick!