Author Topic: Pros and Cons of being bald  (Read 76208 times)

Offline Munkynutz

• Sly Jr.
Re: Pros and Cons of being bald
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
Hmmm, I for one think a lot of guys look better with a shaved head than not, and yes there are many people who probably shave their heads who would prefer a thick luscious head of hair like the crap sitting on top of Justin Beibers (ick) head.

Seeing as looking around at people I work with and live around I see virtually no-one with a  head of hair like that by the time they're in their mid 30's to mid 40's it is an unrealistic goal... and then you just have a diminishing set of returns from whatever is growing on your head.

I will only agree that young girls will be less prone to dating a man who is bald either by force of nature or by choice.  Women grow used to it - their brothers, uncles, fathers, co-workers, whatever... and I really don't think too many end up caring too much one way or the other.  Sure they'll have preferences, but if you're awesome you're awesome with or without hair.

I will be happy to contribute any pros and cons I can think of once I have done this to my head but I think by and large I am going to love the worry free aspect of having absolutely nothing able to do impact your head at all.

I believe with the bald look it helps a lot to stay in good physical shape, but how many disgusting ill-kept slobs you know with good hair who are awesome looking just because of their hair... yup.  Exactly.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 04:03:51 AM »
Getting up in the morning and going without dealing with hair is one of the biggest pros. So is taking off your hat and not having to worry about hat hair. Lots of guys seem to decide to get in shape when they shave their heads, so another pro. I lost about thirty pounds around the same time I first buzzed my head.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
Sweat!  That's the biggest con for me!  Now that I've shaved my head you can see the beads of sweat coming out of my head, when I eat something spicy, after a workout, on a hot day, etc. ....
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
Found out a con to day. As I was working at my laptop I was wearing some over the ear headphones... I tool them off and had a huge red mark where they were sitting. ( not going to stop me shaving the dome but...)

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2015, 02:34:38 AM »
Sweat!  That's the biggest con for me!  Now that I've shaved my head you can see the beads of sweat coming out of my head, when I eat something spicy, after a workout, on a hot day, etc. ....
I agree so much, and unfortunately I perspire a lot. I tend to wear a bandanna under my bike helmet and when playing sports
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Nickd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
Pros: My head has never felt better. I love the look and can't ever imagine having hair again. There are countless other pros, but I'll just leave it like this, shaving my head was the third best decision I have ever made after marring my wife and having a child.

Con's: I have lost the ability to detect when I'm about to smash my head on something. Apparently hair works like whiskers on a cat and gives you an advanced warning before you bump into something.

This can be a pro or a con depending on your situation. For me it's a con because I'm happily married, but the ladies dig it. I've gotten a lot of positive attention, which doesn't sit too well with my wife. Thankfully she's confident in us and me so it hasn't been a problem.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
I agree Nick, I have gotten more attention from the ladies since I shaved my head. When you get into my age bracket, I think the gals are not afraid to admit that bald is sexy, and are more likely to approach you. Guess it is a good ice breaker, I have has women come up to me and ask how I get my head so shiny.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
I've gotten a lot of attention from the ladies, which is great. I've also gotten a lot of attention from gentlemen, which while not my sexual preference I find VERY flattering ( and they buy me drinks which is A-Okay in my book)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
I just experienced a small con. All last week it was warm in the 70's here in Minnesota. That was one on the reasons I shaved last Friday. I just ran an errand and it's cold and windy today. I could really feel the cold air on my bald dome. It was kind of refreshing at first, then it was just plain cold!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
I just experienced a small con. All last week it was warm in the 70's here in Minnesota. That was one on the reasons I shaved last Friday. I just ran an errand and it's cold and windy today. I could really feel the cold air on my bald dome. It was kind of refreshing at first, then it was just plain cold!

I must agree with Reddog , my head does not like the winter. Each year I let my hair go to 1/4" till the warm weather kicks in. No hair on top but it still makes a difference.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline hondo11

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
One con that I don't like is that it definitely shows the head wounds that I seem to get quite a few of. I just smacked my head on the oven hood (don't ask) and now have a nice red stripe on my melon. All of the other cons are more slight annoyances (ie breakouts from wearing a hat) or me being too OCD. I am always taking 3 times longer shaving because I have to have my head perfectly smooth. I'll even grab my razor and shave any prickly spots when I'm putting on lotion.

Offline Titus

• The younger
  • Sly Jr.
  • Que sera sera.
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
I can echo quite a few of these!

Today, the black flies were out in full force...and foolishly, I went out without a hat! My head is covered in bug bites.

Another con is my ears and head get cold quite easily now!

The plus? No long time drying hair, shampooing a lot,  etc. No bad hair days...Just wake up, and go! I sweat a lot from the head, and this way when I work out, I do not need a head band!

Offline baldmillions

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I was called to be be bald.
    • DeathTroll
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
"Cons: Spurning the advances of the Ladies, who simply will not form an orderly queue. "

Haha, beast mode. ON!
It's about what's IN and Not On your head!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
For me the pros are simply that i like how i look much better than when i had hair, its like even though im bbc, i was meant to be sly. Will probably keep on shaving till the day i die because of how much i love the look, enjoy the routine of running the razor over my scal, and the feel of a freshly shaved head. The only con for me is that when i sweat heavily, and only when i sweat heavily, i get some mild irritation, probably leftover from razor irritaion that i might not have even noticed prior to the sweat
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:30:59 AM by amatlock2778 »
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
Depends how long you are sly as you learn a lot the first year. Pro for me is the shave . I stick on a good few tunes and try and enjoy the process or the "art" of shaving .I love the clean feeling as well. Going out anywhere it can be less hassle but you have to dress to suit the head which i have not mastered yet .(I'm a terrible dresser lol). Cons For me : not realising how easy it is to get burned . This was my virgin sly heads first taste of sun as i live in Ireland and it was sore !! .I'm still learning the way of sly and it has been a good learning experience.
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??