Author Topic: Let's not forget Shaving Oil  (Read 20476 times)

Offline ottawamale

• Learning the way of Sly
Let's not forget Shaving Oil
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
I often use shaving gel (Edge) for my dome, but when deployed to Afghanistan, space in the rucksack is at premium.  In order to save space, I ditch the regular can of shaving gel and use Shaving Oil.  The most common brand is Cromwell & Cruthers.  Just wet you hands and add 5 drops of the oil and apply to the head.  Shave away.  The oil bottle is made of plastic (no breakage) and it is the same size of most eye drop bottles.  A huge space saver, and a small bottle lasts longer than a can of gel.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Let's not forget Shaving Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:36:46 PM »
Welcome Ottawa
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:14:47 PM »
welcome ottawa

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
Welcome Ottawa!!  Thanks for the tip on the shaving oil!  I didn't realize that the container was so small. That could be very useful for travel.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Welcome.

I use hot six oil as a shaving oil, bottle is bigger, you get more for your $2 or $3 it costs.  I find it in the ethnic section of most drug stores.  I love using it under my lather.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline bald eagle

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:55:45 PM »
I'll have to try that when I'm out camping. I usually just don't shave or those 4 or 5 days I'm out in the back country.   

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Ottawamale. Godspeed, should you be re-deployed.

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 11:20:01 PM »
Welcome to the  group, Bald Eagle!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline andrewg

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
I agree with the convenience of  shaving oil as well as how long a 1/2 oz bottle lasts.  But one of the best features, is the virtual lack of nicks.  I don't know about other folks, but I use to nick my face all the time, and prior to my head shave I was using an electric primarily to prevent the cuts.  I used shaving oil a few times on my face, but now I use it all the time on my head.  It works really well in the shower, and you do need water, but you could just splash it on, so it might work well camping.  I use Pacific Shaving Co. oil, and just ordered a three pack which should last close to 6 months.  It certainly is work checking out.

Andy

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »
Thinkin I'm gonna try the KOS Shaving Oil in the next month or so
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:50:36 PM »
Tried the KOS alpha oil about an hour ago. pretty good stuff. only thing was that to keep the head wet, it seemed like it made the oil less effective. did half the head with just oil and half with HB Headslick over oil. worked VERY well with the combo. think i have another staple in the shaving process. over all, it seems worth the three bucks. it only takes a little bit to cover the nogin. just my thoughts. PAUL

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
If paul does it, i'm going to try it too. That cat is sly.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 08:28:07 AM »
thanks.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 11:39:37 AM »
Yup, Paulie is the coolest cat in town yo
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
So much stuff going on ON the noggin.  Robmeister provided some links to shaving tips and they were talking about tea tree oil. 
I just got all my headblade stuff today and was astounded by all the goop I'm putting on my head now.  It seemed a little crazy so I stopped short of putting the Olay Touch of Sun on. 
My scalp does feel really nice and smooth and soft though.  I wish there were a female here to give it a gentle rub  :@`  (I guess it would have to be my wife right?)   8)
I'm Brian and so is my wife!

Enter your email address: