Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 14718 times)

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
Need Advice
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to shaving my head and a first time poster.  I've read a lot on the problems many have with irritation and bumps after shaving.  I have tried just about all the remedies and suggestions, but I still get this irritation on both sides of my head right at the temples.  It's annoying!  I use a headblade and love it.  I've tried shaving oils, creams, after shaves like tea tree oil, no bump, witch hazel...and still I get irritation.  I like to shave everyday, but have settled on shaving everyother day.  Any suggestions  from the veterans would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »
First off welcome to the group, Jzac!  If cold water after shaving the head and products like ClearHead are not working you mightt want to try using something like a Mach3 or Fusion to shave just the spots that have irritation. ???
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I have not used ClearHead yet, but always do a cold rinse.  I'd hate to have to change razors as the headblade works so well...I might have to try it though.

Thanks again!

Offline Augie

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »
I have a same issue on the back of my neck from shaving, I received my clear head on Friday once I give it a chance I'll let you know.

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:08:54 PM »
Thanks Augie.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »
I'd hate to have to change razors as the headblade works so well...I might have to try it though.
Jzac, still use your HeadBlade for shaving your head everywhere but the two spots.  I use the HeadBlade, as well, but right above my ears I have two spots that are difficult with the HeadBlade and use to get irritated when I used only the HeadBlade.  I started to use my face shaving Mach3 just to "touch up" those spots and problem solved.

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
ar3inc,

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know.  One more thing...since I kind of new at this, these spots will get itchy and kind of bubble up after a day or two...is that commonly what is known as irritation?  The reason I ask is that a couple of months ago, before I got the headblade, I tried one of those chemical hair removers...It burned like hell and I wonder if I keep getting irritated (in the same exact spots and nowhere else) because of that.  Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to give advice!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »
If i were you i'd see a dermatolagist, could be an allergy or somethin' (though don't know why it would just show in those spots)

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »
Blagadan,

If the problem doesn't go away, I'll have to do that although I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.  We'll see.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Jzac, the little red bumbs or a red rash is what I was thinking as irritation.  What you just decribed may be more allergic then anything else.  As you run out of other possibiilities you think about calling the DR. :(

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 01:46:47 PM »
ar3inc,

If it persists, that's what I'll do. I think I'll take a couple of weeks off of shaving and let it totally heal and then shave again...and if it happens again...I'll check out a doctor.

Thanks for the advice!  You guys are great.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
jzac, first of all I would also like to welcome you to the group. From what you are describing I would also recommend seeing a Dr. See if there is anything in particular that causes a flare up of these spots, ie heat, aftershaves, shaving creams, that sort of thing. It could help the doc with a proper diagnosis
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline jzac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming PigPen.  This is a good site.  I gave shaving a break for a week and decided to try an electric shaver.  I bought a high end Remington...problem solved!  No irritation or red bumps and I'm able to shave everyday.  I really like the headblade...best razor I have used, but the problem was I couldn't shave everyday because of the irritation.  And if I shaved only 3 times a week, I would get ingrown hairs and thus red bumps.  The electric, with patience, get almost as close as a blade...almost.  Looks wise, my head looks as smooth.  To the touch, about 90% I'm guesing.  Thanks to all who gave advice!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »
That's great Jzac!  I used an electric razor for several years.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming PigPen.  This is a good site.  I gave shaving a break for a week and decided to try an electric shaver.  I bought a high end Remington...problem solved!  No irritation or red bumps and I'm able to shave everyday.  I really like the headblade...best razor I have used, but the problem was I couldn't shave everyday because of the irritation.  And if I shaved only 3 times a week, I would get ingrown hairs and thus red bumps.  The electric, with patience, get almost as close as a blade...almost.  Looks wise, my head looks as smooth.  To the touch, about 90% I'm guesing.  Thanks to all who gave advice!

Success!!!