Author Topic: Shaving Cream or Gel?  (Read 316253 times)

Offline fjc

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Shaving Cream or Gel?
« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2015, 06:21:25 AM »
All my life I've mostly just shaved with an electric, due to blade costs and irritation.  Recently I started shaving my head.  Just used some old Gillette shave gel I had in the cupboard, probably many years old.  Since I'm shaving my head, I might as well do the face the same way - my electric razor hasn't been used in weeks now.

Picked up some Headslick and that does a great job.  As I'm on a shave-with-a-razor kick, I decided for the first time in my life to get a cheap badger brush.  Based on stuff I've read on this site, I also picked up a tub of the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shave cream.

Wow.  What an amazing feeling to lather up with that brush!  Got a great shave this morning using that.  Used way too much of the cream, but I'll learn.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #541 on: August 06, 2015, 05:40:57 AM »
I tend to use shaving creams mostly. I used to use (& sometimes do for a change) shaving foam. I have recently started using gels and I think they are pretty good as you can kind of see any stubble that you have missed. I don't know, but it seems to me that I still get a closer shave using cream. Is this anybody elses experience, too? :)
BaldBill

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #542 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
I've been using headblade's products for a while now but recently wanted to try beebald's stuff...awesome products!!! Might be making the switch. I also switch back and forth between the good ol Mach 3 and a DE. I only use the DE when time allows for it (which isn't too often)

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #543 on: August 22, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
Shaving cream works better for me.

Roger

Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »
I have a friend that uses baby shampoo to shave his head. He swears by it. Anyone here ever used that to shave your head?
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #545 on: November 30, 2015, 04:47:29 AM »
I'm still in my 30 day trial period, started off using edge gel and it seemed to work ok, but didn't really seem to give me the shave i wanted and had to keep reapplying. I then switched to a bar soap that was supposed to be specifically for shaving, but found it dried out my head too much. I just bought some Cremo shaving cream and love it. Apply it to the dome once and it just keeps lathering up no matter how many passes over an area I have to make and I have cut myself a lot less since switching to Cremo.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:2

Offline edsly46

« Reply #546 on: November 30, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »
Have you ever tried shave secret oil , it great stuff and cheap at walmart

Offline Wicked_Ripper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #547 on: October 24, 2016, 12:04:50 PM »
I hope I'm not digging out old topics..

I am using the Gillette shaving gel. No actual reason, I just find it easyer to use, and I like the way that with just a bit, you can cover the whole head :)

Offline TheRedChile

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #548 on: November 20, 2016, 01:07:12 AM »
Welcome Baldego!!

I have been shaving my head for Ten Years and i mainly shave my head while in the shower...... with no cream or gel just water...

WOW!  No razor burn?

sounds brutal to me but I also have super hard water and dry skin. maybe some day I can pull that off....

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #549 on: November 20, 2016, 07:56:08 AM »
I use Shave Secret shave oil on occasion... works well. Not so well in the shower though which is where I prefer to shave and with Barbasol :)

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
I use either a shaving cream or soap that is meant to be used for your face.  I apply it with a shaving brush. 
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
I've been using shaving soap by Van Yulay called WhatTZzzup with good results. It had a nice scent and is from an independent company.

However, when I have to get my son to school-and I  to work- I use Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Organic Shaving Soap. You can get it at most health and beauty places for less than  $10. It's easy to use and gives me a good shave.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #552 on: December 22, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
I am clean shaven on my face so whatever soap or cream I use on my face goes on my dome.  Today it was Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream.
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline Acmboarder

« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
Hey Tyler, I’m new but thought I’d reply I use cheap conditioner (V05) to shave and then I just found a new little trick I’m in love with (Vick’s vapor rub) apply to head after shave... no burn needed!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #554 on: November 20, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
@Acmboarder seems like Vicks wouldn't give off the best odor though.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: